Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Bow-and-arrow killings in Norway seen as an ‘act of terror’

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• News from this morning:

Source: https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/25/entertainment/alec-baldwin-shooting-rust-shooting-monday/index.html

(CNN)The shot that killed a cinematographer on a New Mexico film set last week was fired as actor Alec Baldwin was practicing drawing his gun, according to the director who was injured in the shooting, an affidavit for a search warrant shows.

Joel Souza, director of the film "Rust," was shot in the shoulder and director of photography Halyna Hutchins, 42, was killed when the prop gun went off during a rehearsal at the Bonanza Creek Ranch in Santa Fe Thursday.

Souza spoke to investigators Friday, according to the affidavit released by the Santa Fe County Sheriff's Office on Sunday.
    Souza told them Baldwin was "sitting in a pew in a church building setting, and he was practicing a cross draw," the affidavit said. A cross draw is when a shooter pulls the weapon from a holster on the opposite side of the body from the draw hand.
    Souza was looking over Hutchins' shoulder "when he heard what sounded like a whip and then loud pop," according to the affidavit.
    Souza recalled Hutchins "complaining about her stomach and grabbing her midsection" after the shot was fired, the document said.
    Investigators also talked with camera operator Reid Russell, who was standing next to Souza and Hutchins at the time of the incident, the affidavit said.Russell recalled Hutchins "saying she couldn't feel her legs" and medics treating her as she was bleeding on the floor, investigators said.
    Both Souza and Russell acknowledged difficulties on set that day because of a walkout of some members of the camera department over payment and housing. Due to the labor problems, Souza said they had only one camera available to use that day, and it was not recording at the time of the incident.
    Souza also confirmed to an investigator that he heard the term "cold gun" on set, meaning the firearm should have been empty.
    According to the warrant, Souza said three people had been handling the guns or firearms for scenes -- they were checked by the armorer and first assistant director and then given to the actor using them.
    The investigator said Souza was unaware of anyone on set being checked to see if they had live ammunition on them before or after the scenes were filmed.
    "The only thing checked are the firearms to avoid live ammunition being in them. Joel (Souza) stated there should never be live rounds whatsoever near or around the scene," the affidavit said.
    Souza's representatives have not returned CNN's requests for comment.

© Copyright Original Source

Comment

• This keeps getting back to Baldwin and his actions.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        News from this morning:

Source: https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/25/entertainment/alec-baldwin-shooting-rust-shooting-monday/index.html

(CNN)The shot that killed a cinematographer on a New Mexico film set last week was fired as actor Alec Baldwin was practicing drawing his gun, according to the director who was injured in the shooting, an affidavit for a search warrant shows.

Joel Souza, director of the film "Rust," was shot in the shoulder and director of photography Halyna Hutchins, 42, was killed when the prop gun went off during a rehearsal at the Bonanza Creek Ranch in Santa Fe Thursday.

Souza spoke to investigators Friday, according to the affidavit released by the Santa Fe County Sheriff's Office on Sunday.
        Souza told them Baldwin was "sitting in a pew in a church building setting, and he was practicing a cross draw," the affidavit said. A cross draw is when a shooter pulls the weapon from a holster on the opposite side of the body from the draw hand.
        Souza was looking over Hutchins' shoulder "when he heard what sounded like a whip and then loud pop," according to the affidavit.
        Souza recalled Hutchins "complaining about her stomach and grabbing her midsection" after the shot was fired, the document said.
        Investigators also talked with camera operator Reid Russell, who was standing next to Souza and Hutchins at the time of the incident, the affidavit said.Russell recalled Hutchins "saying she couldn't feel her legs" and medics treating her as she was bleeding on the floor, investigators said.
        Both Souza and Russell acknowledged difficulties on set that day because of a walkout of some members of the camera department over payment and housing. Due to the labor problems, Souza said they had only one camera available to use that day, and it was not recording at the time of the incident.
        Souza also confirmed to an investigator that he heard the term "cold gun" on set, meaning the firearm should have been empty.
        According to the warrant, Souza said three people had been handling the guns or firearms for scenes -- they were checked by the armorer and first assistant director and then given to the actor using them.
        The investigator said Souza was unaware of anyone on set being checked to see if they had live ammunition on them before or after the scenes were filmed.
        "The only thing checked are the firearms to avoid live ammunition being in them. Joel (Souza) stated there should never be live rounds whatsoever near or around the scene," the affidavit said.
        Souza's representatives have not returned CNN's requests for comment.

© Copyright Original Source

This is such a tragic NEEDLESS problem.

Any person handling a gun - whether he/she is an actor, and extra, a food vender, an armorer.... needs to be trained to check the weapon when RECEIVING it.

If they cannot learn how to determine the condition of a weapon when they receive it, they should not be allowed to handle it at all.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

This is such a tragic NEEDLESS problem.

Any person handling a gun - whether he/she is an actor, and extra, a food vender, an armorer.... needs to be trained to check the weapon when RECEIVING it.

If they cannot learn how to determine the condition of a weapon when they receive it, they should not be allowed to handle it at all.
          From what I have read, this movie was very lax in their safety protocols. A low budget movie with lots of problems.

Comment

From what I have read, this movie was very lax in their safety protocols. A low budget movie with lots of problems.
            Sounds so - but I guess I was taught at an early age to NEVER accept "an unloaded weapon" from somebody "on their word" - ALWAYS check for yourself.

If I handed you a firearm, I would hand it to you...
            A) with the cylinder open if it was a revolver (showing you it was loaded or not)
            2) with the slide locked back and the magazine outside the weapon if it was a semi-auto

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Sounds so - but I guess I was taught at an early age to NEVER accept "an unloaded weapon" from somebody "on their word" - ALWAYS check for yourself.

A) with the cylinder open if it was a revolver (showing you it was loaded or not)
              2) with the slide locked back and the magazine outside the weapon if it was a semi-auto

One of the lessons I learned from my father is that any firearm you pick up is loaded. Not just treat it as if it were loaded. It IS loaded ... until you have personally verified then and there that it isn't.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                One of the lessons I learned from my father is that any firearm you pick up is loaded. Not just treat it as if it were loaded. It IS loaded ... until you have personally verified then and there that it isn't.
                I don't know why this is so difficult for people -- you can't accidentally unshoot somebody. The person HANDLING the weapon is the one responsible for its safe handling - not just the person handing it to them.

Of course, if BOTH were serious about gun safety, that's best.

Comment

I don't know why this is so difficult for people -- you can't accidentally unshoot somebody. The person HANDLING the weapon is the one responsible for its safe handling - not just the person handing it to them.

Of course, if BOTH were serious about gun safety, that's best.
                  And I've been around far too many, some of whom should have known better, who were anything but.

One gun control law I could support is a mandatory basic safety course the first time someone buys a firearm.

Comment

since this was a western, the gun would have been a revolver. It would have been easy to check the cylinder.

Comment

• I have read in other forums that the rules for handling guns (weather fake guns or real guns with blanks) are different than the usual rules for safe gun handling - eg checking the weapon is safe doesn't apply. The one person actually responsible for making sure the gun is loaded/unloaded appropriately for the scene is the Armorer. The gun is handed to the actor just before shooting the scene and taken from the actor as soon as the scene ends. In fact the actor is prohibited from doing anything to the gun (including clearing the gun or checking the type of ammo) that is not called for in the script. In my understanding this was set up so there is one point of failure (the armorer) rather than many points (the actors) in order to make sets safer.
                      Now as one of the producers, AB has the responsibility to hire properly trained armorers but AB the actor doesn't bear culpability in this instance.

Just a different perspective on this.
                      We know J6 wasn’t peaceful because they didn’t set the building on fire.

Comment

• Looks like the director, Joel Souza, told police that the armorer, Hannah Gutierrez Reed, handed the pistol to the assistant director, who in turn handed it to Baldwin telling him that it is a "cold gun" (not loaded with live rounds). Moreover the pistol was left unattended when everyone went to take a meal break and Souza isn't sure if it was rechecked.

Search warrant reveals grim details of 'Rust' shooting and Halyna Hutchins' final minutes

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                          Looks like the director, Joel Souza, told police that the armorer, Hannah Gutierrez Reed, handed the pistol to the assistant director, who in turn handed it to Baldwin telling him that it is a "cold gun" (not loaded with live rounds). Moreover the pistol was left unattended when everyone went to take a meal break and Souza isn't sure if it was rechecked.

Search warrant reveals grim details of 'Rust' shooting and Halyna Hutchins' final minutes
                          A "cold gun" would be unloaded, not even loaded with blanks. Which should be easy to check by looking at the cylinder.

Comment

A "cold gun" would be unloaded, not even loaded with blanks. Which should be easy to check b y looking at the cylinder.
                            But if my link above is correct an actor can't even do that unless called for in the script.
                            We know J6 wasn’t peaceful because they didn’t set the building on fire.

Comment

• Originally posted by alaskazimm View Post

But if my link above is correct an actor can't even do that unless called for in the script.
                              It was supposed to be unloaded, and he was not in a scene, he was supposedly practicing. I don't see why someone can't check to see if a gun is actually unloaded when handed one. Any rule that says otherwise seems idiotic if true.

Comment

A "cold gun" would be unloaded, not even loaded with blanks. Which should be easy to check by looking at the cylinder.
                                AFAIK a cold gun on a set means it can be loaded with blanks.

Comment