Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Bow-and-arrow killings in Norway seen as an ‘act of terror’

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ronson View Post
    Was it a single round? Two people were hit, one fatally. Unless a single bullet passed through one victim and hit the other, there were two live rounds fired.

Was it during a scene? The two people hit were not actors so why was the gun aimed at them?

Seriously, I wouldn't be at all surprised if hothead Baldwin intentionally shot someone with a live round. He is not all that dissimilar to OJ.
    It was a single round. It hit the woman in the chest, passed through, and hit the man behind her.

An assistant director called out 'cold gun', indicating a safe gun with blanks, and handed it to Baldwin.

The gun was likely aimed at them because this was a movie filming. There are people off to the side during shots, and also quite often in action movies/westerns there are shots with the actor aiming the gun toward the camera and firing. Such a shot is obtained by them.... aiming the gun at the camera, behind which most of the crew are.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post

basically a blank is just a round without the bullet. It is loaded into a gun just like a live round. It is up to the safety people on set to make sure that the gun is correctly loaded, that there are no obstructions in the barrel, etc, before the gun is used on the set. They came up with all sorts of safety protocols and regulations after Lee was killed in The Crow. So somebody is going to get in trouble here whether it was an accident or a homocide.

This appears to be a low budget "indie" film, so no telling how lax they were.

_121185055_blank_cartridge_2x640-nc.png
      Yep, this is on the prop/safety folks and/or the assistant director that grabbed the gun and announced it was a 'cold gun' before handing it to Baldwin (if he grabbed it without checking with the prop/safety folks to make sure they checked it).

EDIT: sounds like the safety folks were cutting corners and there had been at least one prop gun misfire a few days earlier during the production where a gun went off while someone was just holding it. Also apparently lack of safety meetings.
      https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...212956451.html

Safety issues plagued the set of Rust in the days leading up to the fatal accident, according to new reports. On Thursday, Alec Baldwin shot and killed cinematographer Halyna Hutchins, 42, on set of the Western indie. Director Joel Souza, 48, was hospitalized but has since been released. The Santa Fe County Sheriff's Office is investigating the shooting, which occurred "during the filming of a scene."

There were two misfires on the prop gun and one the previous week, a source tells the Los Angeles Times, adding "there was a serious lack of safety meetings on this set."

Deadline confirms "at least one previous incident involving a misfiring of a weapon that was used days before in a scene."

"A gun had two misfires in a closed cabin," a source claimed. "They just fired loud pops — a person was just holding it in their hands and it went off."

Both outlets report that the film's camera crew walked off the set in protest of their working conditions before the accident.

"Corners were being cut — and they brought in nonunion people so they could continue shooting," a source tells the Los Angeles Times. The paper notes that Hutchins was among those advocating for safer conditions.

One crew member purportedly addressed the walkout in a private Facebook post.

"We cited everything from lack of payment for three weeks, taking our hotels away despite asking for them in our deals, lack of COVID safety, and on top of that, poor gun safety! Poor on-set safety period!" the person wrote, per Deadline. "They brought in four non-union guys to replace us and tried calling the cops on us."

Rust Movie Productions, LLC says it's conducting an internal investigation.

"The safety of our cast and crew is the top priority of Rust Productions and everyone associated with the company. Though we were not made aware of any official complaints concerning weapon or prop safety on set, we will be conducting an internal review of our procedures while production is shut down," a spokesperson told Deadline. "We will continue to cooperate with the Santa Fe authorities in their investigation and offer mental health services to the cast and crew during this tragic time."

Jensen Ackles, who stars in the film alongside Baldwin, addressed gun preparation on set just days before the tragedy. While attending a Supernatural fan event last weekend, the actor gushed about how excited he was to be starring in a Western film. Ackles said they've been shooting for two weeks and "going non-stop."

"I've got a 6 a.m. call tomorrow to have a big shootout. They had me pick my gun, they were like, 'Alright, what gun would you like?' and I was like, 'I don't know?' and the armorer was like, 'You have gun experience?'" he told the crowd in the resurfaced video. "I was like, 'Uh, a little.' And she's like, 'OK, well, this is how you load it, this is how we check it and make sure it's safe.' I'm like 'OK.' She's like, 'Do you want a hip draw or a cross draw?'"

The armorer said she was "going to put some blanks" into the gun, and told Ackles to "fire off a couple rounds" towards a hill. Ackles nailed it because he knew what he was doing all along. "And no kidding, she goes, 'You're an a******.'"

Taryn Ryder·Writer, Yahoo Entertainment

Fri, October 22, 2021, 3:29 PM

New reports about the working conditions on set of Rust emerge. Alec Baldwin accidentally killed cinematographer Halyna Hutchins on set on Oct. 21. (Photo: AFP)

Safety issues plagued the set of Rust in the days leading up to the fatal accident, according to new reports. On Thursday, Alec Baldwin shot and killed cinematographer Halyna Hutchins, 42, on set of the Western indie. Director Joel Souza, 48, was hospitalized but has since been released. The Santa Fe County Sheriff's Office is investigating the shooting, which occurred "during the filming of a scene."

There were two misfires on the prop gun and one the previous week, a source tells the Los Angeles Times, adding "there was a serious lack of safety meetings on this set."

Deadline confirms "at least one previous incident involving a misfiring of a weapon that was used days before in a scene."

"A gun had two misfires in a closed cabin," a source claimed. "They just fired loud pops — a person was just holding it in their hands and it went off."

Both outlets report that the film's camera crew walked off the set in protest of their working conditions before the accident.

"Corners were being cut — and they brought in nonunion people so they could continue shooting," a source tells the Los Angeles Times. The paper notes that Hutchins was among those advocating for safer conditions.

One crew member purportedly addressed the walkout in a private Facebook post.

"We cited everything from lack of payment for three weeks, taking our hotels away despite asking for them in our deals, lack of COVID safety, and on top of that, poor gun safety! Poor on-set safety period!" the person wrote, per Deadline. "They brought in four non-union guys to replace us and tried calling the cops on us."

Rust Movie Productions, LLC says it's conducting an internal investigation.

"The safety of our cast and crew is the top priority of Rust Productions and everyone associated with the company. Though we were not made aware of any official complaints concerning weapon or prop safety on set, we will be conducting an internal review of our procedures while production is shut down," a spokesperson told Deadline. "We will continue to cooperate with the Santa Fe authorities in their investigation and offer mental health services to the cast and crew during this tragic time."

Jensen Ackles, who stars in the film alongside Baldwin, addressed gun preparation on set just days before the tragedy. While attending a Supernatural fan event last weekend, the actor gushed about how excited he was to be starring in a Western film. Ackles said they've been shooting for two weeks and "going non-stop."

"I've got a 6 a.m. call tomorrow to have a big shootout. They had me pick my gun, they were like, 'Alright, what gun would you like?' and I was like, 'I don't know?' and the armorer was like, 'You have gun experience?'" he told the crowd in the resurfaced video. "I was like, 'Uh, a little.' And she's like, 'OK, well, this is how you load it, this is how we check it and make sure it's safe.' I'm like 'OK.' She's like, 'Do you want a hip draw or a cross draw?'"

The armorer said she was "going to put some blanks" into the gun, and told Ackles to "fire off a couple rounds" towards a hill. Ackles nailed it because he knew what he was doing all along. "And no kidding, she goes, 'You're an a******.'"

Generally, a prop master or licensed armorer oversees the handling of all weapons that are used on a set. It's unclear at this time who that person was on Rust. IATSE Local 44, a union that covers prop masters, sent an email saying the production's prop master was not a member.

Baldwin is reportedly distraught over the accident.

"Alec is still trying to get his head around everything that happened," a source tells People. "This has been devastating. It's been incredibly difficult."

Baldwin, who is also a producer on Rust, expressed his condolences in a statement on Friday.

"There are no words to convey my shock and sadness regarding the tragic accident that took the life of Halyna Hutchins, a wife, mother and deeply admired colleague of ours," he began. "I'm fully cooperating with the police investigation to address how this tragedy occurred and I am in touch with her husband, offering my support to him and his family. My heart is broken for her husband, their son, and all who knew and loved Halyna."

Hutchins's husband said the family is grieving the loss.

"I don't think there are words to communicate the situation," Matthew Hutchins, 38, told Insider. "I am not going to be able to comment about the facts or the process of what we're going through right now, but I appreciate that everyone has been very sympathetic."
      Last edited by Gondwanaland; 10-22-2021, 08:30 PM.

Comment

• LA Times reporting three previous misfire incidents.

Source: Alec Baldwin 'Rust' camera crew walked off the set in protest before the fatal shooting

[...]

Safety protocols standard in the industry, including gun inspections, were not strictly followed on the "Rust" set near Santa Fe, the sources said. They said at least one of the camera operators complained last weekend to production managers about gun safety on the set.

Three crew members who were present at the Bonanza Creek Ranch set that day said they were particularly concerned about two accidental prop gun discharges on Saturday.

Baldwin's stunt-double accidentally fired two rounds Saturday after being told that the gun was "cold" — lingo for a weapon that doesn't have any ammunition, including blanks, one of crew members who witnessed the episode told the Los Angeles Times.

"There should have been an investigation into what happened," said the crew member. "There were no safety meetings. There was no assurance that it wouldn't happen again. All they wanted to do was rush, rush, rush."

A colleague was so alarmed by the prop gun misfires he sent a text message to the unit production manager. "We've now had 3 accidental discharges. This is super unsafe," according to a copy of the message reviewed by the Times.

"The safety of our cast and crew is the top priority of Rust Productions and everyone associated with the company, " Rust Movie Productions LLC said in a statement. "Though we were not made aware of any official complaints concerning weapon or prop safety on set, we will be conducting an internal review of our procedures while production is shut down. We will continue to cooperate with the Santa Fe authorities in their investigation and offer mental health services to the cast and crew during this tragic time."

Source

© Copyright Original Source

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Even a large caliber blank (.38, .357, .45, ect) can be deadly at close range because of the wadding holding the gun powder in the casing.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• In any case... there never should have been live ammo on the set.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              In any case... there never should have been live ammo on the set.
              None. At all. EVER.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• And as much as I'm not a fan of Alec Baldwin, I feel deep sympathy for the fact that he has to deal with the fact that he actually took another human life, and can never undo that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  And as much as I'm not a fan of Alec Baldwin, I feel deep sympathy for the fact that he has to deal with the fact that he actually took another human life, and can never undo that.
                  Yes... but ....

he was also one of the producers for the film. He was in charge on the set, and as such, is responsible for the protocols the crew were observing. And apparently there had been safety complaints throughout, which I can only assume he ignored.

Comment

Yes... but ....

he was also one of the producers for the film. He was in charge on the set, and as such, is responsible for the protocols the crew were observing. And apparently there had been safety complaints throughout, which I can only assume he ignored.
                    Yeah, I know -- tremendously irresponsible, and I don't even like the guy, but he has brought upon himself a burden he never imagined he'd ever have to bear, and I feel sorrow for him in that one regard. How he responds over time will be interesting to see.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                      Yeah, I know -- tremendously irresponsible, and I don't even like the guy, but he has brought upon himself a burden he never imagined he'd ever have to bear, and I feel sorrow for him in that one regard. How he responds over time will be interesting to see.
                      Yup. The complaints about lax safety. Three previous firearm mishaps. Let the investigation play out because it has a lot there to look into. But, as much as I look at Baldwin as a insufferable shmuck, I would never wish what he must be going through right now on him or anyone.

Comment

• I really doubt it will play heavy on Baldwin's conscience. This is the same guy who called his young daughter a worthless "pig," attacked a man in a dispute over a parking spot, and even Lefty Anderson Cooper condemned him after he shouted anti-gay vulgarities at a man in a courtroom. He might "suffer" for a couple of days before he charges into his next self-important idiocy

Comment

I really doubt it will play heavy on Baldwin's conscience. This is the same guy who called his young daughter a worthless "pig," attacked a man in a dispute over a parking spot, and even Lefty Anderson Cooper condemned him after he shouted anti-gay vulgarities at a man in a courtroom. He might "suffer" for a couple of days before he charges into his next self-important idiocy
                          Well, I've been thinking about this, and a NORMAL person.... let's put it this way....

A person who kills another person in what could be considered "a justifiable shoot" may still feel a tremendous amount of guilt or sorrow or pain because the taking of another human life is, to any normal person, incredibly damaging.

Then there's the "suicide by cop" where a cop kills somebody who puts him in the position of having to kill them, knowing they may be suffering some mental problems or severe sociological problems....

But, the more I think about Baldwin.... yeah, I don't really know.

The fact that he didn't take the presence of firearms on the set more seriously is another factor.

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by EvoUK View Post
                              Actually, IIRC, he took a good deal of grief over that.

I always thought we shoulda used that to our advantage. Let him be the front man in dealing with some of the problem nations, and remind them that he once shot a friend in the face with a shotgun, hinting it isn't a good idea to upset him

Comment

• Cheney is far more despicable than Baldwin.

Comment