Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Bow-and-arrow killings in Norway seen as an ‘act of terror’

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

    The actual phrase you employed was "single biggest determining factor" and that was not what I was contesting.

    My contention rested on the issue that your sentence [as you had composed it] was a sweeping generalisation because you had not qualified the subject of that sentence.

    In its grammatical construction the sentence "A TWO PARENT HOUSEHOLD is the SINGLE biggest determining factor in the future success of children" is applicable to all "two parent households".

    You could not, or would not recognise that fact, and refused to clarify or qualify what you had written. You merely kept repeating the sentence while continuing to allege that it was, in and of itself, a "fact".
    Which shows you either trolled, or you failed to understand what a factor is. Given that you refused to answer the question about cigarette smoking being the single biggest factor in cancer, I'm certain you understood the concept and were just trying to sow discord. This is why I say you are not honest in your interactions with others.

    Comment


    • #47
      Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

      I simply [and once again] pointed out the facts pertaining to what you wrote which was quite clearly a sweeping generalisation.
      Except it wasn't. Which makes the irony I mentioned all the greater

      Unless of course you seriously consider that households like those of Fred and Rose West or Josef and Rosemarie Fritzl positively contributed [by the fact that both were "two parent" households] to being the "SINGLE biggest determining factor in the future success of" their respective "children".
      Yet again you make the irony greater by showing you don't have a bloody clue what the term means. How pathetic.

      Now, back to the bow and arrow killer.
      "So when you actually get the virus, you're going to start producing antibodies against multiple pieces of the virus. So, your antibodies are probably better at that point than the vaccination."
      - Pfizer Scientist Chris Croce

      Comment


      • #48
        Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

        The Norwegian prison systems tend to have far better results than ours, as far as recidivism rates, returning people Successfully to society to be Is a benefit to said society
        Serial killers should never be returned to society. They should rot in a dank prison cell. They shouldn't live in a comfortable "hotel" room.

        Comment


        • #49
          Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

          Which shows you either trolled, or you failed to understand what a factor is. Given that you refused to answer the question about cigarette smoking being the single biggest factor in cancer, I'm certain you understood the concept and were just trying to sow discord. This is why I say you are not honest in your interactions with others.
          Yuuuuuuup.
          "So when you actually get the virus, you're going to start producing antibodies against multiple pieces of the virus. So, your antibodies are probably better at that point than the vaccination."
          - Pfizer Scientist Chris Croce

          Comment


          • #50
            Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post
            Except it wasn't. Which makes the irony I mentioned all the greater



            Yet again you make the irony greater by showing you don't have a bloody clue what the term means. How pathetic.

            Now, back to the bow and arrow killer.
            I once again note a display of marked ignorance towards the basics of English grammar. However, back to the atrocity in Norway. It seems probable that the suspect had mental issues prior to conversion.
            "It ain't necessarily so
            The things that you're liable
            To read in the Bible
            It ain't necessarily so
            ."

            Sportin' Life
            Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

            Comment


            • #51
              Originally posted by Sparko View Post

              Serial killers should never be returned to society. They should rot in a dank prison cell. They shouldn't live in a comfortable "hotel" room.
              Do you sincerely believe that?

              Why do we incarcerate such people? Is it purely for punishment? Or should there be an attempt to rehabilitate the offender? Not necessarily in order to release them back into society but to help with their health issues and recognise the enormity of their offences.

              There is also the issue of what causes a person to become a serial killer as no one would point to a new born baby and predict it would up to perpetrate such crimes. How much is nurture or nature? Is there an underlying predisposition that chaotic and/or abusive experiences bring to the fore? Or do chaotic and abusive experiences push some people into doing terrible things?
              "It ain't necessarily so
              The things that you're liable
              To read in the Bible
              It ain't necessarily so
              ."

              Sportin' Life
              Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

              Comment


              • #52
                Originally posted by Roy View Post
                I'm considering them, and noting that most of the examples given do not involve more fatalities than the deadliest US mass shootings.
                Nobody said they did, Roy.

                Your source has reached the wrong conclusion. Bombings, mass stabbings, and car attacks rarely kill more people than the deadliest mass shootings in the United States.
                That wasn't the point. The point is that, if somebody wants to kill multiple people, they can without guns.

                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

                Comment


                • #53
                  Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post

                  This is like saying we shouldn't exterminate a termite infestation because it won't get rid of the cockroaches.
                  Wow...
                  A) You're not going to get rid of all the guns in the US
                  2) You're not going to keep guns out of then hands of the people who want to do evil
                  C) If somebody is determined to kill multiple people, there are other options available

                  Your analogy stinks on so many levels.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

                    Do you sincerely believe that?

                    Why do we incarcerate such people? Is it purely for punishment? Or should there be an attempt to rehabilitate the offender? Not necessarily in order to release them back into society but to help with their health issues and recognise the enormity of their offences.

                    There is also the issue of what causes a person to become a serial killer as no one would point to a new born baby and predict it would up to perpetrate such crimes. How much is nurture or nature? Is there an underlying predisposition that chaotic and/or abusive experiences bring to the fore? Or do chaotic and abusive experiences push some people into doing terrible things?
                    We incarcerate them to remove them from society so they can't continue to kill people. And they deserve punishment for their crimes because they are evil.


                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

                      I once again note a display of marked ignorance towards the basics of English grammar. However, back to the atrocity in Norway. It seems probable that the suspect had mental issues prior to conversion.
                      You just don't know how to quit digging your hole. SMH
                      "So when you actually get the virus, you're going to start producing antibodies against multiple pieces of the virus. So, your antibodies are probably better at that point than the vaccination."
                      - Pfizer Scientist Chris Croce

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Originally posted by Sparko View Post

                        We incarcerate them to remove them from society so they can't continue to kill people.
                        Should we not try to understand the motives behind their crimes and what experiences they had? For example, it is sometimes the way that paedophiles have themselves been abused as children. There is therefore an element of victimhood for them.

                        Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                        And they deserve punishment for their crimes because they are evil.
                        That is too simplistic. We are not divided into good and evil. Human beings are far more complicated than that.

                        "It ain't necessarily so
                        The things that you're liable
                        To read in the Bible
                        It ain't necessarily so
                        ."

                        Sportin' Life
                        Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Originally posted by Sparko View Post

                          Serial killers should never be returned to society. They should rot in a dank prison cell. They shouldn't live in a comfortable "hotel" room.
                          The US prison system is abysmal and a large reason for the crime problem we have today. The Scandinavian system (Norway and other Scandinavian countries) are far superior .
                          "So when you actually get the virus, you're going to start producing antibodies against multiple pieces of the virus. So, your antibodies are probably better at that point than the vaccination."
                          - Pfizer Scientist Chris Croce

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

                            You just don't know how to quit digging your hole. SMH
                            From what I have read the suspect is undergoing psychiatric assessment by experts who will ascertain, by observation and assessment, whether he was sane at the time of the attack. It may transpire that he will not be considered legally responsible for his actions and could remain under medical supervision rather than being sent to prison.




                            "It ain't necessarily so
                            The things that you're liable
                            To read in the Bible
                            It ain't necessarily so
                            ."

                            Sportin' Life
                            Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

                              The US prison system is abysmal and a large reason for the crime problem we have today. The Scandinavian system (Norway and other Scandinavian countries) are far superior .
                              Yeah, I hate our prison system - it just seems to be a breeding ground for making people worse than when they came in.
                              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
                                Should we not try to understand the motives behind their crimes and what experiences they had? For example, it is sometimes the way that paedophiles have themselves been abused as children. There is therefore an element of victimhood for them.



                                That is too simplistic. We are not divided into good and evil. Human beings are far more complicated than that.
                                Sure we can try to understand them and even get them treatment if it helps, But, we should not release them back into society. And they don't deserve to be coddled in a luxury cell that looks like a hotel room. And calling someone who is a serial killer "evil" is not being too simplistic.

                                Comment

                                Related Threads

                                Collapse

                                Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by rogue06, Today, 09:47 AM
                                29 responses
                                125 views
                                0 likes
                                Last Post oxmixmudd  
                                Started by Gondwanaland, Today, 09:03 AM
                                10 responses
                                70 views
                                1 like
                                Last Post Sparko
                                by Sparko
                                 
                                Started by CivilDiscourse, Today, 06:36 AM
                                5 responses
                                50 views
                                0 likes
                                Last Post CivilDiscourse  
                                Started by seer, 01-22-2022, 06:17 AM
                                1 response
                                44 views
                                0 likes
                                Last Post Mountain Man  
                                Started by Bill the Cat, 01-21-2022, 02:21 PM
                                7 responses
                                92 views
                                4 likes
                                Last Post alaskazimm  
                                Working...
                                X