Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Bow-and-arrow killings in Norway seen as an ‘act of terror’

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

Yes, but I'm not the Grammar Nazi. That's you. So it's always entertaining to pop your little puffed up bubble.
    See? What'd I say:
    Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

I have noticed in recent exchanges that the same group of individuals show a remarkably poor grasp of the rudiments of the grammar of their own language.

No understanding of the purpose of using qualifiers in a sentence.
    An inability to recognise different examples of figurative language.
    Confusion over nouns.
    No understanding of the importance of qualifying a statement.
    An inability to recognise, and differentiate between, main and subordinate clauses.
    An inability to identify a complex sentence.

Incredibly ironic as well coming from the woman who spent countless pages trying to figure out what "single biggest factor" means, despite having it explained to her over and over again.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Ah, this is SO cute... after constantly commiserating about "buddies", H_A finally has one of her very own.
      *coughsinglebiggestfactorcough*

Comment

See? What'd I say:

Incredibly ironic as well coming from the woman who spent countless pages trying to figure out what "single biggest factor" means, despite having it explained to her over and over again.
        failure.jpg
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Meanwhile...

6 Reasons Gun Control Will Not Solve Mass Killings

5. Mass killers often find ways to kill even without firearms.
          • Some of the worst mass killings in the United States have occurred without firearms:
            • Before the 2016 Orlando nightclub shooting, the deadliest attack on the LGBT community in America occurred in 1973 when an arsonist killed 32 and injured 15 at the Upstairs Lounge in New Orleans.
            • In 1987, a disgruntled former airline employee killed 43 people after he hijacked and intentionally crashed a passenger plane.
            • In 1990, an angry ex-lover burned down the Happy Land social club where his former girlfriend worked, killing 87 others in the process.
            • In 1995, 168 people were killed and more than 600 were injured by a truck bomb parked outside the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.
            • In 2017, a man in New York City killed eight and injured 11 by renting a truck and plowing down pedestrians on a Manhattan bike path.
          • In other countries, bombings, mass stabbings, and car attacks frequently kill more people than even the deadliest mass shootings in the United States. Consider the following:
            • Spain (2004) — Bombing: 192 deaths, 2,050 injuries;
            • Great Britain (2005) — Bombing: 52 deaths, 784 injuries;
            • Japan (2008) — Car ramming and stabbing: seven deaths, 10 injuries;
            • China (2010) — Shovel-loader: 11 deaths, 30 injuries;
            • China (2014) — Car ramming: six deaths, 13 injuries;
            • China (2014) — Mass stabbing: 31 deaths, 143 injuries;
            • Germany (2015) — Plane crash: 150 deaths;
            • Belgium (2016) — Bombing: 21 deaths, 180 injuries;
            • France (2016) — Car ramming: 86 deaths, 434 injuries;
            • Germany (2016) — Car ramming: 11 deaths, 56 injuries;
            • Japan (2016) — Mass stabbing: 19 deaths, 45 injuries; and
            • Great Britain (2017) — Bombing: 22 deaths, 250 injuries.
          Missing is the Bath School killings.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bath_School_disaster

IIRC, although he did kill his wife with a rifle, the remaining 44 deaths and 58 injured were from primitive bombs.

Comment

Meanwhile...

• Some of the worst mass killings in the United States have occurred without firearms:
              • Before the 2016 Orlando nightclub shooting, the deadliest attack on the LGBT community in America occurred in 1973 when an arsonist killed 32 and injured 15 at the Upstairs Lounge in New Orleans.
              • In 1987, a disgruntled former airline employee killed 43 people after he hijacked and intentionally crashed a passenger plane.
              • In 1990, an angry ex-lover burned down the Happy Land social club where his former girlfriend worked, killing 87 others in the process.
              • In 1995, 168 people were killed and more than 600 were injured by a truck bomb parked outside the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.
              • In 2017, a man in New York City killed eight and injured 11 by renting a truck and plowing down pedestrians on a Manhattan bike path.
            • In other countries, bombings, mass stabbings, and car attacks frequently kill more people than even the deadliest mass shootings in the United States. Consider the following:
            Couple years ago I compiled a list of mass killings this century using Wikipedia that didn't involve firearms
            • 9/11, USA 2001 (2996 killed and 8900 wounded): hijacked planes using box cutters
            • Bali, Indonesia 2002 (202 killed and 209 wounded): bombings
            • Madrid, Spain 2004 (191 killed and 1876 wounded): bombings
            • London, England 2005 (56 killed and 784 wounded): bombings
            • Mumbai, India 2006 (209 killed and 714 wounded): bombings
            • Al-Adnaniyah and Al-Qataniyah, Iraq 2007 (520 killed and approximately 1500 wounded): bombings
            • Kahtaniya and Jazeera, Iraq 2007 (2996 killed with an unknown number wounded): suicide bombings
            • Kashgar, China 2008 (16 killed with an unknown number wounded): truck ramming, thrown explosives and machetes
            • Akihabara shopping quarter Tokyo, Japan 2008 (7 killed and 10 wounded): truck ramming and knife stabbings
            • Nanping, China 2010 (8 killed and 5 wounded): stabbings
            • Changsha, China 2011 (5 killed and 5 wounded): truck ramming
            • Ürümqi, China 2014 (43 killed and over 90 wounded): SUV ramming and explosives thrown from vehicle
            • Kunming, China 2014 (35 killed and 143 wounded): stabbings
            • Russian Metrojet Flight 9268, over the Sinai 2015 (224 killed): bombing
            • Sadr City, Iraq 2015 (215 killed): bombing
            • Nice, France 2015 (86 killed and 458 wounded): truck ramming
            • Sagamihara, Japan 2016 (19 killed and 26 wounded): stabbings
            • Baghdad, Iraq 2016 (324 killed and 225 wounded): bombings and arson
            • Berlin, Germany 2016 (12 dead and 56 wounded): truck ramming

And the last I checked France's stringent gun control laws didn't stop the mass shootings in Paris in 2015 where 137 were killed and 352 wounded. Almost all of the worst massacres involving firearms were done by paramilitary groups conducting raids on villages and camps -- things no form of gun control could prevent.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Meanwhile...

This is like saying we shouldn't exterminate a termite infestation because it won't get rid of the cockroaches.

Comment

Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post

This is like saying we shouldn't exterminate a termite infestation because it won't get rid of the cockroaches.
                I'm not saying that you suck at producing analogies at a level I've never before seen in my life, but holy harpies....

no-points-idiotic.gif

Comment

Meanwhile...

...[*]In other countries, bombings, mass stabbings, and car attacks frequently kill more people than even the deadliest mass shootings in the United States. Consider the following:
                  I'm considering them, and noting that most of the examples given do not involve more fatalities than the deadliest US mass shootings. Your source has reached the wrong conclusion. Bombings, mass stabbings, and car attacks rarely kill more people than the deadliest mass shootings in the United States.
                  Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                  MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Originally posted by Starlight View Post
                    There are a sufficient number of readily available alternative methods to cause an equivalent small number of deaths, such that removing bows would have no significant effect. This contrasts to guns, which stand out as being the only readily accessible way for terrorists to cause mass deaths.

Just pointing out to you that liberal policies, unlike conservative ones, are actually based in logic and reasoning and careful considerations of pros and cons, because I think the idea of that might be a new concept to you.
                    That explains the pristine state of San Francisco. Their liberal politicians have been setting the city's policies using logic for 50-60 years. In that time they've logically, and successfully, tackled homelessness, housing prices, substance abuse, sanitation, wealth inequality, etc. throughout the city.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
                      I'm considering them, and noting that most of the examples given do not involve more fatalities than the deadliest US mass shootings. Your source has reached the wrong conclusion. Bombings, mass stabbings, and car attacks rarely kill more people than the deadliest mass shootings in the United States.
                      Of course the U.S. isn't even close to holding the record for worst mass shooting. Much worse have happened in Asia, Africa and ... Europe.

130 killed and 494 wounded in Paris over the course of two days as Muslim extremists targeted people in restaurants, a concert hall, a sports stadium, and walking down the sidewalk.

Now correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't France have fairly strict gun control laws? At least considerably more than in the vast majority of U.S. jurisdictions.

The wrong conclusion being reached is the idea that strict gun control prevents mass shootings.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

That explains the pristine state of San Francisco. Their liberal politicians have been setting the city's policies using logic for 50-60 years. In that time they've logically, and successfully, tackled homelessness, housing prices, substance abuse, sanitation, wealth inequality, etc. throughout the city.
                        You see the exact same problems in many urban areas that the left has has had a stranglehold on for multiple generations. Detroit, Baltimore...

Comment

See? What'd I say:

The actual phrase you employed was "single biggest determining factor" and that was not what I was contesting.

My contention rested on the issue that your sentence [as you had composed it] was a sweeping generalisation because you had not qualified the subject of that sentence.

In its grammatical construction the sentence "A TWO PARENT HOUSEHOLD is the SINGLE biggest determining factor in the future success of children" is applicable to all "two parent households".

You could not, or would not recognise that fact, and refused to clarify or qualify what you had written. You merely kept repeating the sentence while continuing to allege that it was, in and of itself, a "fact".
                          "It ain't necessarily so
                          The things that you're liable
                          To read in the Bible
                          It ain't necessarily so
                          ."

Sportin' Life
                          Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                            Of course the U.S. isn't even close to holding the record for worst mass shooting. Much worse have happened in Asia, Africa and ... Europe.

130 killed and 494 wounded in Paris over the course of two days as Muslim extremists targeted people in restaurants, a concert hall, a sports stadium, and walking down the sidewalk.

Now correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't France have fairly strict gun control laws? At least considerably more than in the vast majority of U.S. jurisdictions.

The wrong conclusion being reached is the idea that strict gun control prevents mass shootings.
                            Prezactly.

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

The actual phrase you employed was "single biggest determining factor" and that was not what I was contesting.

My contention rested on the issue that your sentence [as you had composed it] was a sweeping generalisation because you had not qualified the subject of that sentence.

In its grammatical construction the sentence "A TWO PARENT HOUSEHOLD is the SINGLE biggest determining factor in the future success of children" is applicable to all "two parent households".

You could not, or would not recognise that fact, and refused to clarify or qualify what you had written. You merely kept repeating the sentence while continuing to allege that it was, in and of itself, a "fact".
                              We're not getting into this again. I merely was pointing out the irony given that you could not grasp what the term meant. I and others clarified, and I and cowpoke even posted links establishing that it was, in and of itself, a fact. You ran away from them, as well as every explanation and clarification you were given. Your attempts to rewrite history only further show what a dishonest interlocutor you are.

Comment

We're not getting into this again. I merely was pointing out the irony given that you could not grasp what the term meant. I and others clarified, and I and cowpoke even posted links establishing that it was, in and of itself, a fact.

You ran away from them, as well as every explanation and clarification you were given. Your attempts to rewrite history only further show what a dishonest interlocutor you are.
                                I simply [and once again] pointed out the facts pertaining to what you wrote which was quite clearly a sweeping generalisation.

Unless of course you seriously consider that households like those of Fred and Rose West or Josef and Rosemarie Fritzl positively contributed [by the fact that both were "two parent" households] to being the "SINGLE biggest determining factor in the future success of" their respective "children".
                                "It ain't necessarily so
                                The things that you're liable
                                To read in the Bible
                                It ain't necessarily so
                                ."

Sportin' Life
                                Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment