Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Bow-and-arrow killings in Norway seen as an ‘act of terror’

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    Alec Baldwin's stunt double reportedly accidentally fired a blank round after being told the gun was "cold," a term used to denote that there is no projectile in the weapon. Another incident reportedly involved a young woman from the props department shooting herself in the foot. However, that round was also a blank so it's unclear if there was any serious injury that resulted from the mishap.
    https://www.foxnews.com/live-news/alec-baldwin-rust
    They need to change their terminology -- a blank is not, and does not include, a "projectile". "Cold" should mean absolutely empty. ZERO gun powder. No blanks, no empty cartridges - nothing.

That's part of their problem.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

They need to change their terminology -- a blank is not, and does not include, a "projectile". "Cold" should mean absolutely empty. ZERO gun powder. No blanks, no empty cartridges - nothing.

That's part of their problem.
      I think that is what it means, despite what Gond says. in the box I quoted:

"cold," a term used to denote that there is no projectile in the weapon.

Comment

But a blank isn't a projectile - so it's really confusing. "Cold" could mean either empty OR with blanks. (I think that's what you're saying)

And blanks can injure people at close range. And, not just their hearing.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

But a blank isn't a projectile - so it's really confusing. "Cold" could mean either empty OR with blanks. (I think that's what you're saying)

And blanks can injure people at close range. And, not just their hearing.
          Ah I see what you mean. But I do think it means "nothing in the gun."

in another story it says:

"the first one on this set was the prop master and the second was a stunt man after Hannah informed him his gun was hot with blanks."
          https://www.usatoday.com/story/enter...on/8574632002/

Comment

I went based off the early reports and what a gun expert interviewedby CNN had said early on. Sounds like a game of telephone between ignorant liberals in Hollywood and ignorant liberals in the media at this point, with wildly varying meanings offer4f.. Doesn't seem to be any sort of coherent consensus on the terminology in the industry.

Comment

Ah I see what you mean. But I do think it means "nothing in the gun."

in another story it says:

"the first one on this set was the prop master and the second was a stunt man after Hannah informed him his gun was hot with blanks."
              https://www.usatoday.com/story/enter...on/8574632002/
              Yeah, they really need to come up with industry standard naming conventions.
              There ARE situations where an actual loaded firearm is needed - like in those "Top Shot" programs.

But on a Hollyweird Film Set? It needs to be absolutely crystal clear ---

Cold - absolutely no ammunition of any kind, in which it needs to be a totally non-functioning weapon.
              Lots of scenes where somebody gets conked on the head with a gun, or "held at gunpoint"
              Warm - Blanks
              Hot - Actual lethal ammunition

Or something like that.

As a Range Safety Officer, there are only TWO conditions --- HOT or SAFE.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

I went based off the early reports and what a gun expert interviewedby CNN had said early on. Sounds like a game of telephone between ignorant liberals in Hollywood and ignorant liberals in the media at this point, with wildly varying meanings offer4f.. Doesn't seem to be any sort of coherent consensus on the terminology in the industry.
                EGGzackly. A DEADLY failure.

Comment

Yeah, hard to tell what the "official" meaning of the term is. Reporters are notorious for screwing up facts in stories, especially when talking about jargon or terminology.

Comment

You're making this up. You can have no idea whether all 2A supporters hold those views, and even if they do support those views they don't all practice them. Because US toddlers (and idiots) still get hold of loaded guns.
                    All you have to do is present ONE 2A supporter who disagrees. Just ONE.
                    It's your claim, so you should provide the evidence for it. I don't think you can.

I really don't think that among the thousands of accidental shootings and unsecured firearm incidents listed here there isn't a single gun owner who doesn't support the right to bear arms.

It's hard to prove there is one, because reports of accidental shootings rarely include details or political views or NRA membership, but it seems likely that people who keep guns in their homes and cars support the right to own guns, as do people who use guns to go hunting. So here are a few that probably qualify:

Teenage hunting accident
                    Loaded gun kept in car
                    Loaded gun carried in bag

There are also a couple of examples on that site involving police officers and their families not keeping their guns secured, but I've mislaid the links.
                    I actually agree with all those precepts.
                    So why wouldn't 2A supporters?
                    I don't know, but having now looked at dozens of examples where people who were probably second amendment supporters (because they owned guns) but did not keep their guns secure (with the result that their children were injured or killed), I have concluded it's because they're careless and/or stupid.

You should read these reports. It might change your mind about how your fellow countrymen and second amendment supporters implement basic safety precautions.
                    Last edited by Roy; 11-01-2021, 12:37 PM.
                    Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                    MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
                      It's your claim, so you should provide the evidence for it. I don't think you can.
                      Think what you wish, Roy - I honestly don't care.

Comment

At least with cars there are competence tests that must be passed.
                        Never a good idea comparing cars/automobiles and firearms. From several years back...

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                        Many modifications of firearms are illegal. If you saw the barrel off a shotgun or rifle to a certain length you are violating the law. If you convert your firearm to full automatic (relatively easy to do with many -- someone even patented a way to turn a old Colt revolver into an automatic weapon back in the 1860s!) you are violating the law. If you attach a noise suppressor to your firearm (unless you get a special federal license) you are violating the law. If you use them in a dangerous manner you can have them confiscated. And if you are convicted of a felony you often lose your right to own a firearm.

And there are several restrictions placed on firearms owners that are not imposed upon people who own an automobile.
                        • Anyone can purchase an automobile -- even if they're under 18 (if they pay cash).
                        • There is no waiting period to purchase an automobile
                        • You do not have to have a license to purchase an automobile.
                        • There is no limit how many cars you can own, or how many you can buy per month.
                        • You only need to register an automobile if you plan to drive it on the street.
                        • You can take your automobile into different jurisdictions without getting a license for each one you go into (and facing a felony and automatic confiscation for failure to do so)
                        • You can own and operate an automobile on public roads designed to break the law (cars that can exceed the speed limit by several fold)

If we treated autos like firearms then
                        • You'd pay for a car, register it and then have to wait up to two weeks before you can pick up your car.
                        • You must store your car where no child could access it (no leaving it on the street or the driveway).
                        • If a child were to take your car and harm himself or others you could be charged with a felony
                        • People under psychiatric care or convicted of a felony (or in some jurisdictions even merely accused of spousal abuse) could not either own or drive an automobile
                        • It would be illegal to directly buy a car from an out of state dealer or seller
                        • You could be arrested for taking your automobile across state lines or even into different counties or cities within the same state

Finally, as has been previously noted (but seems to be ignored) you do not have a right to own an automobile, or to drive one, but here in the U.S. we most certainly do have the right to own firearms.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

II don't know, but having now looked at dozens of examples where people who were probably second amendment supporters (because they owned guns) ......
                          This is the kind of nonsense I won't entertain.

Comment

Yeah, hard to tell what the "official" meaning of the term is. Reporters are notorious for screwing up facts in stories, especially when talking about jargon or terminology.
                            In recent years they finally seem to have put at least some effort into not calling semi-automatic firearms "fully automatic," "automatic" and even "machineguns"

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

A competence test isn't required to grab some keys and drive a car, my dude. Anyone capable of movement can do it if they want to, test or no.
                              This simply isn't true. It is much harder for a four-year-old who picks up some car keys to injure or kill some-one than it is for a four-year-old who picks up a loaded gun.
                              Last edited by Roy; 11-01-2021, 12:44 PM.
                              Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                              MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

This simply isn't true. It is much harder for a four-year-old who picks up some car keys to injure or kill some-one than it is for a four-year-old who picks up a gun.
                                And anybody who allows a gun to fall into the hands of a toddler should be prosecuted. I've been very consistent on that. 2A supporter or not.

Comment