Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump calls for Republican boycott of upcoming elections

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ronson
    replied
    Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post

Can you explain after two impeachments over bribery and insurrection
    Partisan impeachments that failed because they had no legs.

and the events of Jan 6,
    Partisan hyperbole from both sides.

not to mention the long term damage to our relationship with our NATO allies
    IMO, NATO is a European affair now, and is archaic for U.S. involvement. But for argument sake, there has been no "long term damage" done by Trump that can be articulated.

and the large scale refusal to take measures to limit Covid spread (masks and the vaccine)
    Trump's Operation Warpspeed was his refusal to take measures? I think you watch too much CNN.

that are Trump incited and often Trump supporting, why you need to be told?
    I'm sorry, but your outrage is more emotional than realized. He wasn't a perfect president, but your complaints fall along the lines of partisanship.

Leave a comment:

• Juvenal
    replied
    Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    Wrong. It was the NBC news ditz who declared that the crowd was chanting "Let's Go Brandon!" when it was very clear that was not what they were chanting. I'd post the video but all the f-bombs in it prohibited me from doing so.
    I stand corrected on the source, while declining to join in on your misogyny.
    Whether by mistake or as an intentional attempt to deflect from the swearing on live television, Ms Stavast told Mr Brown that the crowd was cheering him on with chants of "Let's go, Brandon".

Contrary to your characterization, that was quick thinking.

In that case then saying "fudge" or "fiddlesticks" would be disguised profanity.
    These are not the same because "Let's go, Brandon," is, as you insist, and I agree,Edited by a Moderatorwhich is not the case with "fudge" or "fiddlesticks."

(That's an invitation to escalate the issue to ownership.)

Good think you don't enforce the rules around here.
    Good for you, but only if you don't think these things through. I don't care if you change the rules to allow f-bombs, to allow disguised f-bombs, or even to have a carve-out just for disguised f-bombs directed at Joe Biden. In fact, I kind of like the latter, as it makes y'all juicier targets.

But ya don't get away with insisting "Let's go, Brandon" is a disguised f-bomb and then claiming it's not.

Cause that would be lying.
    Last edited by rogue06; 10-14-2021, 09:55 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Mountain Man
    replied

It is another attempt to sow division and unrest...
    At least that's how liberals like you are choosing to read it.

Meanwhile, our country is falling apart under Joe's incompetent and disinterested leadership, but all you care about is that President Trump is not in the White House. It's a rather sad state of affairs, but then I'm talking to a guy who apparently gets his political insights from a Star Trek episode where the antagonist was defeated by literally laughing at it until it gave up and left, so this may be a hopeless cause.
    Last edited by Mountain Man; 10-14-2021, 08:59 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied
    Originally posted by Reepicheep View Post

Agreed. The statement was made on Trump's official website, link below.

https://www.donaldjtrump.com/news/news-vh9rfuemhp0
    Well that is about the most dumbest thing he has ever said. I am sure the democrats would be fine with Republicans refusing to vote.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Can you explain after two impeachments over bribery and insurrection and the events of Jan 6, not to mention the long term damage to our relationship with our NATO allies and the large scale refusal to take measures to limit Covid spread (masks and the vaccine) that are Trump incited and often Trump supporting, why you need to be told?
    This will be yet another election where a Christian has the option to vote AGAINST a whole bunch of things that are destroying our nation, not the least of which is abortion.
    That we have to vote "for" somebody we don't like is, indeed, a very sad state of affairs.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post

For all intents and purposes it is. His conditional is basically unless the election gets overturned. That's not going to happen.
    Hence, a bad prediction.

Leave a comment:

• KingsGambit
    replied
    That's not a call to boycott but rather a prediction.
    For all intents and purposes it is. His conditional is basically unless the election gets overturned. That's not going to happen. Additionally, saying "it's the most important thing for Republicans to do" is phrasing it a a call to action as well, which is more than a mere "prediction". (We already know this depressed the vote in Georgia somewhat as well, because Ronna McDaniel was arguing with some of his supporters there who told her they were not going to bother voting because their votes wouldn't be counted, so it seems likely this will have at least some similar effect here.)
    Last edited by KingsGambit; 10-14-2021, 08:42 AM.

Leave a comment:

• oxmixmudd
    replied
    Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

He really said it, but to be fair, that's a rather ambiguous statement. I suppose it could be read as saying that if we don't guard against fraud, then Republicans will not be voting even if they cast ballots. Although it could also be read as him saying that Republicans will simply choose not to vote because they know their vote won't be counted anyway. What I don't see is him explicitly calling for a boycott of the elections even if that's how it is being interpreted.
    It is another attempt to sow division and unrest on his behalf and to his narcissistic and self-serving end. Trump clearly believes he must undo the elective process in order to get the power he craves. And sadly, even the Klingons were smarter than Republicans when it comes to this sort of being.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Day_of_the_Dove

It's time we join together, recognizing that a king, or cult of a man, was and always has been the sort of destructive influence this nation cannot survive, and rid ourselves of Trump and Trump's destructive influence and get back to the business of conservatives and liberal ideas battling it out on terms consistent within the ideals and the best traditions of our nation.

If anyone reading this hasn't seen the episode, take the time to watch it.
    Last edited by oxmixmudd; 10-14-2021, 08:07 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Mountain Man
    replied
    Wrong. It was the NBC news ditz who declared that the crowd was chanting "Let's Go Brandon!" when it was very clear that was not what they were chanting. I'd post the video but all the f-bombs in it prohibited me from doing so.

In any case the quote is (right after Brandon was thanking everyone)

NBC reporter: "Brandon you also told me ...[Pause]... As you can hear the chants from the from the crowd ...[Pause (where you can clearly hear the chant)]... Let's go Brandon! Brandon you told me you were going to kind of hang back those first two stages and just watch and learn. What did you learn that helped you in your closing laps?"
    And she was widely praised for her obvious lie by the media machine who lavished her as "quick thinking", saying that she responded well to an awkward situation with one outlet calling it a "smooth save".

https://www.breitbart.com/sports/202...e-biden-chant/

Leave a comment:

• oxmixmudd
    replied
    Originally posted by Ronson View Post

Trump was president for four years. Can you explain "the danger" he presents?
    Can you explain after two impeachments over bribery and insurrection and the events of Jan 6, not to mention the long term damage to our relationship with our NATO allies and the large scale refusal to take measures to limit Covid spread (masks and the vaccine) that are Trump incited and often Trump supporting, why you need to be told?
    Last edited by oxmixmudd; 10-14-2021, 07:56 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Mountain Man
    replied

His exact quote is "If we don’t solve the Presidential Election Fraud of 2020 (which we have thoroughly and conclusively documented), Republicans will not be voting in ‘22 or ‘24. It is the single most important thing for Republicans to do." Sorry, but he really said it. And at this point, it seems clear that evidence of fraud is not going to be documented to his satisfaction (even the Cyber Ninjas audit did not find what he was looking for).
    He really said it, but to be fair, that's a rather ambiguous statement. I suppose it could be read as saying that if we don't guard against fraud, then Republicans will not be voting even if they cast ballots. Although it could also be read as him saying that Republicans will simply choose not to vote because they know their vote won't be counted anyway. What I don't see is him explicitly calling for a boycott of the elections even if that's how it is being interpreted.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    Originally posted by Juvenal View Post
    In point of fact, it's your meme that's fake, and you yourself disseminating fake news. The race-car driver cleaned up the crowd's response, not the press, which reported it faithfully, the only reason why I was able to figure out what it meant.

In any case the quote is (right after Brandon was thanking everyone)

NBC reporter: "Brandon you also told me ...[Pause]... As you can hear the chants from the from the crowd ...[Pause (where you can clearly hear the chant)]... Let's go Brandon! Brandon you told me you were going to kind of hang back those first two stages and just watch and learn. What did you learn that helped you in your closing laps?"

Originally posted by Juvenal View Post
    At this point, it's clear the expression is being used as a disguised f-bomb, which is an automatic 5-pointer, last I checked. It's just as clear that it's only the right fringe using the expression. That fringe has certainly grown, as evident from KG's mic drop, but they're still the alternative facts folks.
    In that case then saying "fudge" or "fiddlesticks" would be disguised profanity.

Good think you don't enforce the rules around here.

Btw, this chant is crossing political lines. You even have some liberals joining in (again the f-bombs prevent me from linking). Old Joe is unifying the country in their disgust with his fumbling and bumbling.

Leave a comment:

• Ronson
    replied

My reaction to that is 'please do'. The people that are supporting Trump right now are a clear and present danger to this nation anyway ( because of who Trump is ) and so anything that will keep the Trump train out of the mix is probably good.
    Trump was president for four years. Can you explain "the danger" he presents?

Leave a comment:

• oxmixmudd
    replied
    https://www.nationalreview.com/news/...ing-elections/

Could this be a sign that he doesn't plan on running in 2024?
    My reaction to that is 'please do'. The people that are supporting Trump right now are a clear and present danger to this nation anyway ( because of who Trump is ) and so anything that will keep the Trump train out of the mix is probably good.

Leave a comment:

• Ronson
    replied
    That's not a call to boycott but rather a prediction.
    Eh, sounds more like a plea to me. "It is the single most important thing for Republicans to do." A prediction, emphasized with support.

Leave a comment: