Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Aman Khalili reaches the USA with his family

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by eider View Post

I don't think it's a political 'thing'. The other Western Nations in Afghanistan cleared off without extracting their past comrades either. And I have heard and read that some total berk in some UK government office somehow scattered the real names and addresses of hundreds of interpreters and support workers over the jolly old internet. You just couldn't make it up.

But our Boris, or Germany's Merkel, or your Biden...etc ? Nah......
    No, two of our missionary families were rescued by German soldiers, and they were gathering up others while US soldiers were forbidden from leaving the immediate area of the airport.
    (I know for a fact that some of our soldiers willfully disobeyed orders, and rounded up some Americans and loyal Afghanis, also)

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    Originally posted by eider View Post

I don't think it's a political 'thing'. The other Western Nations in Afghanistan cleared off without extracting their past comrades either. And I have heard and read that some total berk in some government office somehow scattered the real names and addresses of hundreds of interpreters and support workers over the jolly old internet. You just couldn't make it up.

The other countries weren't informed that we were bugging out which is why several had to suddenly send troops in to extract their people. All the while old Joe was saying we can't do that.

And we literally, actually handed over a list to the Taliban that even included detailed descriptions. No need for putting it on the internet.

Leave a comment:

• eider
    replied
    Originally posted by Sparko View Post

And if he kept his promises to not leave until everyone else was out.
    I don't think it's a political 'thing'. The other Western Nations in Afghanistan cleared off without extracting their past comrades either. And I have heard and read that some total berk in some UK government office somehow scattered the real names and addresses of hundreds of interpreters and support workers over the jolly old internet. You just couldn't make it up.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Obviously Khalili didn't really want to leave. That, at least, was the official explanation from the White House for why so many were abandoned to their fate -- including U.S. citizens.

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied
    Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    That harrowing ordeal could -- SHOULD -- have been avoided if we had someone in the Oval Office who is at least halfway competent.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    That harrowing ordeal could -- SHOULD -- have been avoided if we had someone in the Oval Office who is at least halfway competent.

Leave a comment:

• eider
    started a topic Aman Khalili reaches the USA with his family

I reckon that, like the film 'The Killing Fields', there could be a film made about this one day.

This guy needed his family to be rescued from Afghanistan but for various reasons they could not reach safety, so he took his loved ones 600 miles across Afghanistan to reach Pakistan, and then on to the USA. There must be many thousands of families that deserve asylum in the West ... this is one story that has ended in safety. It reminds me of the true story of Journalist Dith Pran who could not be rescued from the Cambodian Border after Vietnam (although his family were evacuated), who trekked across Cambodia and somehow survived the killing fields of the Kmer Rouge to reach Thailand.

May his comrades all reach safety as well. Here's one report of many..........

-------

https://nypost.com/2021/10/11/interp...istan-escapes/

An Afghan interpreter who helped in the rescue of then-Sen. Joe Biden in 2008 from a valley in Afghanistan has finally escaped from the Taliban-controlled country after being left behind in initial US evacuations.
    Aman Khalili, who was previously identified by his official first name, Mohammed, for security reasons, left Afghanistan and crossed into Pakistan with his family last week, according to the Wall Street Journal.
    Khalili and his family spent weeks in hiding following the end of the US troop withdrawal and initial evacuation efforts in August.
    While the US had been able to evacuate thousands from the country before the deadline, hundreds of Americans and allies remain in Afghanistan, which is now under the rule of the Taliban.

At the end of August, Khalili made a direct appeal to the president, asking Biden to save him and his family.
    “Hello Mr. President: Save me and my family,” he said. “Don’t forget me here.”
    Over the past six weeks, US veterans worked alongside former Afghan soldiers and Pakistani allies to get Khalili and his family out. They traveled over 600 miles across Afghanistan to escape.
    Brian Genthe, a combat veteran who worked with Khalili in Afghanistan, called the interpreter “a blessing.”
    “Aman helped keep me and other Americans safe while we were fighting in Afghanistan, and we wanted to return the favor,” he said.