Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Am I missing something?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The point of an actor is to pretend to be someone else and do it convincingly. So in theory a black actor should be able to play a white character (and vice versa). But because the left needs to weaponize things like blackface we can't actually make people look like another race because dat's rayciss.

So we get tokenism or nonsensical portrayals like this one and the entire field of acting suffers.
    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post

Yeah, it's not the best situation right now. I've been able to find workarounds for a lot of things, but some things just don't have a good option right now. Like certain books I want to read just don't have an e-book format. Hopefully more digital options will be available since many people are stuck at home due to things like covid.

The first part of the intro is pretty boring, but it picks up at the midway point for me. If I came across something like this today I'd probably be more willing to dismiss it unless someone I trusted it recommended it. I mostly put it here so you can get an idea of what the characters can do with their abilities.

You've got a point. I'll change it then. There are people who are just as abusive online even when their identity is known compared to those who hide it behind a screen name.

Regardless of how good you are at something you always need someone else who can keep you grounded. If someone had been willing to do that when he made his Star Wars prequels I think the result would have been much better.

Yeah, that is where I first remember him from. I still think he brought much more to the show as far as acting than most of the cast. Based on all of the accounts I have heard he was a really nice guy. So it was really weird seeing him play a villain in Kingdom Hearts. What was more surprising was how good he was at it. As weird as the premise and some of the story is for Kingdom Hearts Leonard Nimoy did a good job portraying the character.

The main parts of his acting kind of end at the 11 minute mark, but you can get a small glimpse of the character he played in that video. However, there are decent chunks where there is mostly just spectacle in between the acting. Admittedly some really neat spectacle, especially for the hardware they were working with. For people who can get past some of the rather absurd aspects of Kingdom Hearts it is a great story.

I'll admit that this is very far from something you'd likely be interested in, but for those who might be interested in seeing Nimoy outside of his role as Spock I wanted to put a link so they could see a bit.
      Thank you for the links but they seem to be aimed at children or young adults. Certainly not my type of thing at all..

You are right about an individual needing to be kept grounded when they become famous and I agree that some people are just abusive and often seem to relish that fact.
      "It ain't necessarily so
      The things that you're liable
      To read in the Bible
      It ain't necessarily so
      ."

Sportin' Life
      Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

• Sadly, most of the anime that gets released in the west is shounen, usually of the adventure type, the target audience being boys and young men in their teens. Other Shounen, Shoujou, and young adult anime barely get a look in (with notable exceptions, of course), but those are the "genres" that are actually worth watching.
        1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
        ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
        Scripture before Tradition:
        but that won't prevent others from
        taking it upon themselves to deprive you
        of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post
          Sadly, most of the anime that gets released in the west is shounen, usually of the adventure type, the target audience being boys and young men in their teens. Other Shounen, Shoujou, and young adult anime barely get a look in (with notable exceptions, of course), but those are the "genres" that are actually worth watching.
          Did a breakdown for the prodder of bovines recently:

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          Um, no. Although there is that portion of it and some of it is weird in the extreme.

Most fall into one of five categories.

Shonen: primarily for younger males and typically starring a muscular hero usually with enhanced abilities and who love to get into fights

Shojo: primarily for younger females and typically emphasizing romance and relationships. Think "chick flick" cartoons.

Seinen: very similar to Shonen but for an older audience and also with more discussion on a variety of topics from politics to philosophy.

Josei: very similar to Shojo but for an older audience and emphasizing more realistic relationships.

Kodomomuke: primarily for young children. Expect loud, flashy and silly but with less than subtle moral messaging

This is a very general breakdown as many fall into gray areas between these groups, and others are just too unique to categorize. There are also other breakdowns within these groups as well.

Btw, finally saw Batman Ninja. It is indeed as good, as wild, and as eye-rolling over-the-top as advertised.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

Thank you for the links but they seem to be aimed at children or young adults. Certainly not my type of thing at all.
            A while ago that is how I would have responded if it were the first time I had seen the The Adventures of the Gummi Bears too, but I've learned that just because something is aimed at a younger audience doesn't mean it is exclusively for such an audience. Some of the best movies and cartoons* are made in such a way that anyone can watch them and get something out of it. Sadly it is far less common for shows aimed at a younger audience in the Western world to do this, and they instead talk down to them as if they are stupid. Even when I was 3-4 years old I hated that kind of show.

Kingdom Hearts is often dismissed because the premise does on the face of it sound pretty absurd, and it really is. It is Disney combined with Final Fantasy, but the writers of the series put so much more thought and effort into it than they ever had to. It's one of the reasons it has fans of all ages. The first game was a bit more simple compared to the others, but if you pay attention to various details there is always a reason for various things. Sometimes they don't reveal those reasons until the next game in the series, but those reasons are there. Even what appear to be minor details can have major story significance. The fact someone has been able to intertwine so much over such a long period and 11 games is pretty amazing. I always love it when a series pays attention to the little details and has a lot of lore and backstory to it.

For now I don't care nearly as much about what the target audience of a show, movie, or game is, I'm going to judge it by its merits instead. I've been going back and giving some works I had previously dismissed over such reasons a chance. Sometimes it is good, sometimes it is not. I usually look for ones that at least have a good reputation from a variety of sources.

You are right about an individual needing to be kept grounded when they become famous and I agree that some people are just abusive and often seem to relish that fact.

I've seen way too many good shows and franchises go down hill because the director thought that they were infallible, and I've spent way too much time around people in the latter group**. With either group there is a chance that they will change if they are humbled, but for some that just never happens. They become stuck in their ways and nothing will get them out of their bubble.

*Batman the Animated Series and Avatar the Last Airbender are probably some of the best animated shows of all time. Although technically Batman the Animated series was written for adults according to the writers, they did have to tone down a lot of stuff so they could keep the show suitable for younger audiences. Out of the two of these, I'd say Avatar the Last Airbender is probably closer to something you would find interesting.

**Sometimes people who are nasty as kids grow out of it when they get older. I've seen it happen a couple times, but sadly it is far too infrequent.

Comment

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post
              Sadly, most of the anime that gets released in the west is shounen, usually of the adventure type, the target audience being boys and young men in their teens. Other Shounen, Shoujou, and young adult anime barely get a look in (with notable exceptions, of course), but those are the "genres" that are actually worth watching.
              I need to branch out a bit more since I mostly watch Shounen. Some that caught my eye outside of that were Aggretsuko, and Nichijou My Ordinary Life. I did watch Card Captor Sakura at one point, and it was somewhat interesting.

Comment

I need to branch out a bit more since I mostly watch Shounen. Some that caught my eye outside of that were Aggretsuko, and Nichijou My Ordinary Life. I did watch Card Captor Sakura at one point, and it was somewhat interesting.
                I haven't kept up with recent programmes, but some of the past shows that have been worthwhile - Ouran High School Host Club, Taishou Yakyuu Musume, Haikyuu, Figure 17, Ookami san and seven companions, Full Metal Panic, The Irresponsible Captain Tylor, Nadeshiko, His and Her Circumstances, The Rosary and the Vampire. There is at least a minimal development of the characters and a fair amount of character interaction. One of the most disappointing was Ichigo 100% - they added to the froth and left out the beer in the transfer from the manga.
                1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                Scripture before Tradition:
                but that won't prevent others from
                taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

A while ago that is how I would have responded if it were the first time I had seen the The Adventures of the Gummi Bears too, but I've learned that just because something is aimed at a younger audience doesn't mean it is exclusively for such an audience. Some of the best movies and cartoons* are made in such a way that anyone can watch them and get something out of it.
                  I would agree that much of the best children's literature can be appreciated [often over the heads of the young person] by the adult reading it with them. However, that particular clip did not inspire me. It's all about personal taste and that is subjective.

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
                  Kingdom Hearts is often dismissed because the premise does on the face of it sound pretty absurd, and it really is. It is Disney combined with Final Fantasy, but the writers of the series put so much more thought and effort into it than they ever had to. It's one of the reasons it has fans of all ages. The first game was a bit more simple compared to the others, but if you pay attention to various details there is always a reason for various things. Sometimes they don't reveal those reasons until the next game in the series, but those reasons are there. Even what appear to be minor details can have major story significance. The fact someone has been able to intertwine so much over such a long period and 11 games is pretty amazing. I always love it when a series pays attention to the little details and has a lot of lore and backstory to it.

For now I don't care nearly as much about what the target audience of a show, movie, or game is, I'm going to judge it by its merits instead. I've been going back and giving some works I had previously dismissed over such reasons a chance. Sometimes it is good, sometimes it is not. I usually look for ones that at least have a good reputation from a variety of sources.
                  Thank you for the clip and the comments but I again, do not find it overly appealing.

I've seen way too many good shows and franchises go down hill because the director thought that they were infallible, and I've spent way too much time around people in the latter group**. With either group there is a chance that they will change if they are humbled, but for some that just never happens. They become stuck in their ways and nothing will get them out of their bubble.
                  Indeed.

*Batman the Animated Series and Avatar the Last Airbender are probably some of the best animated shows of all time. Although technically Batman the Animated series was written for adults according to the writers, they did have to tone down a lot of stuff so they could keep the show suitable for younger audiences. Out of the two of these, I'd say Avatar the Last Airbender is probably closer to something you would find interesting.

**Sometimes people who are nasty as kids grow out of it when they get older. I've seen it happen a couple times, but sadly it is far too infrequent.
                  I'll take your word on that.

"It ain't necessarily so
                  To read in the Bible
                  It ain't necessarily so
                  ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

I would agree that much of the best children's literature can be appreciated [often over the heads of the young person] by the adult reading it with them. However, that particular clip did not inspire me. It's all about personal taste and that is subjective.
                    Yeah, I can definitely understand that. On rewatching the opening I was even thinking "dang, they really do make this seem like it is for really little kids only". The show definitely isn't one of the best ones out there, but it is what made Saturday morning cartoons popular again.

Thank you for the clip and the comments but I again, do not find it overly appealing.
                    I can understand that. Just going into why I think some of these shouldn't be dismissed like they often are.

Indeed.

I'll take your word on that.
                    While it probably still doesn't fit your tastes Avatar the Last Airbender is a show I think most everyone can get something from watching. It is not your typical Western cartoon. It has a lot of Eastern inspired lore, and good writing. It's one of the few cartoons from that era that has fans of all ages.

Comment

Yeah, I can definitely understand that. On rewatching the opening I was even thinking "dang, they really do make this seem like it is for really little kids only". The show definitely isn't one of the best ones out there, but it is what made Saturday morning cartoons popular again.
                      Apart from literature, the two animated films that come to mind are the first two Toy Story movies. The poignancy of the toys that have been abused by Sid and the interaction between him and Woody - so play nice - is not lost on adults. Likewise the sadness of toys that are no longer loved, as with Jessie's little vignette. Again, something that affects the adult watching.

I can understand that. Just going into why I think some of these shouldn't be dismissed like they often are.
                      That is understandable and we both agree personal taste is subjective. We also need to remember that critics are people too. They also have their personal prejudices and preferences.

While it probably still doesn't fit your tastes Avatar the Last Airbender is a show I think most everyone can get something from watching. It is not your typical Western cartoon. It has a lot of Eastern inspired lore, and good writing. It's one of the few cartoons from that era that has fans of all ages.
                      I have never seen the Avatar film[s]? either. I find James Cameron's works rather overblown..
                      "It ain't necessarily so
                      To read in the Bible
                      It ain't necessarily so
                      ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

I have never seen the Avatar film[s]? either. I find James Cameron's works rather overblown..
                        It's a different Avatar. Not Cameron's movie (which I agree was overrated), but an anime series.

Both the character and storyline develop nicely making for a really good story. The sequel... not so much. It was too interested in virtue signaling but was still a pretty good story.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                          It's a different Avatar. Not Cameron's movie (which I agree was overrated), but an anime series.

Both the character and storyline develop nicely making for a really good story. The sequel... not so much. It was too interested in virtue signaling but was still a pretty good story.

Thank you for the clarification.
                          "It ain't necessarily so
                          To read in the Bible
                          It ain't necessarily so
                          ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post

I enjoyed both, but yeah Legends of Korra lacked a little of the character/spark that the original had.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

I enjoyed both, but yeah Legends of Korra lacked a little of the character/spark that the original had.
                              It had some good ideas and developed the story in a rational manner, but the political correctness often interfered with the story.
                              Last edited by rogue06; 10-21-2021, 09:01 AM. Reason: manner not matter

Comment

Apart from literature, the two animated films that come to mind are the first two Toy Story movies. The poignancy of the toys that have been abused by Sid and the interaction between him and Woody - so play nice - is not lost on adults. Likewise the sadness of toys that are no longer loved, as with Jessie's little vignette. Again, something that affects the adult watching.

Pixar definitely has some great movies. The third Toy Story is as good as the first two, but I haven't seen the fourth. Those are probably the best movies made by Pixar. I'd say Big Hero 6, The Incredibles(the first one haven't seen the second one), and Tangled are pretty close. Big Hero 6 dealing depression and the loss of a loved one, The Incredibles dealing with doing the right thing whether or not it is legal(among other issues), and Tangled dealing with emotional abuse. A Bug's Tale isn't as good as any of those, but it still has some pretty powerful moments.

That is understandable and we both agree personal taste is subjective. We also need to remember that critics are people too. They also have their personal prejudices and preferences.

The only time I have a problem with critics is when they make blatantly false claims about what they are criticizing.

As rogue06 pointed out Avatar The Last Airbender is very different from James Cameron's Avatar. The latter was a decent movie, but it's main selling point was the impressive CGI. It seemed like a sci-fi version of Pocahontas. The only other movies he directed that I saw were Titanic, some of the Terminator movies, and Aliens. Titanic was okay, but seemed to be overhyped. I did enjoy the first three Terminator movies, and Aliens. Looking at a list of his movies the only one on there I haven't seen that I want to is Alita Battle Angel. I'd say that the first two Terminator movies, and Aliens are his best work out of what I've seen. They aren't mind blowing, but I consider them to be solid movies.

As for Avatar The Last Airbender, never watch the live action movie*. Many fans of the show will even deny the existence of it because it was so bad. As for the cartoon series, it does what Toy Story does, it tells stories that are for everyone, and touch upon important themes. It's set during a war that has been going on for about 100 years, and it shows how that war has affected people in various places and much more. Despite the setting they manage to keep the show appropriate for a general audience.

*The movie version is just called The Last Airbender. This film should only be preserved as a lesson on what not to do when making a film adaption of an animated series.

Comment