Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Am I missing something?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
    Another one that has some classic moments. The inquisition is excellent but the Last Supper with John Hurt as Jesus is possibly my favourite scene. Not forgetting the El Al sailing ship and the hilarious "trailer" for Jews in Space!
    Too bad that in today's climate many of his best works could never be made today.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Another one that has some classic moments. The inquisition is excellent but the Last Supper with John Hurt as Jesus is possibly my favourite scene. Not forgetting the El Al sailing ship and the hilarious "trailer" for Jews in Space!
      If only it had been an actual movie - that "trailer" was magnificent.
      1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
      ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
      Scripture before Tradition:
      but that won't prevent others from
      taking it upon themselves to deprive you
      of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        Too bad that in today's climate many of his best works could never be made today.
        A few months ago I read an interview with him where he remarked that when they wrote Blazing Saddles he told them to write what they liked as they were all going to jail anyway! Or words to that effect.
        "It ain't necessarily so
        The things that you're liable
        To read in the Bible
        It ain't necessarily so
        ."

Sportin' Life
        Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post

It was - I really wanted him it into make a film. I particularly liked the Star of David shaped space ships and of course the theme song .
          "It ain't necessarily so
          To read in the Bible
          It ain't necessarily so
          ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post

Imagine the disappoint when I discovered it wasn't for his next movie.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

A few months ago I read an interview with him where he remarked that when they wrote Blazing Saddles he told them to write what they liked as they were all going to jail anyway! Or words to that effect.
              The only part of the movie I didn't care much for was the ending. It kind of came across like Brooks was told he had to wrap up production the next day and hurriedly filmed an ending.

Comment

Imagine the disappoint when I discovered it wasn't for his next movie.
                I'm glad I wasn't the only one. The local video shop proprietor wasn't amused.
                1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                Scripture before Tradition:
                but that won't prevent others from
                taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

The Producers and High Anxiety were the only two movies of his that I thought were just okay.
                  I haven't seen those, but I want to just knowing that Mel Brooks made them.

Another movie I remember seeing a clip of that looked really funny was Mom and Dad Save the World. I know it isn't a Mel Brooks movie, but the jokes made me think of the kind of silliness in Space Balls.

Comment

It was - I really wanted him it into make a film. I particularly liked the Star of David shaped space ships and of course the theme song .
                    The Star of David-shaped space ships and the song were effectively the entire bit (the rabbis watching the battle were also good)

Comment

The only part of the movie I didn't care much for was the ending. It kind of came across like Brooks was told he had to wrap up production the next day and hurriedly filmed an ending.
                      I thought it was very funny and the "in jokes" worked.

As the camera tracks away from the fight in the fake Rock Ridge it parodies the famous tracking shot in the scene from Gone with the Wind but unlike in that film where the camera stopped short of showing Culver City, Brooks' camera just keeps going and as the music for The French Mistake rises, the camera zooms towards a closed set. Dom deLuise as the director Buddy Bizarre parodies both Busby Berkeley [musical extravaganzas] and of course Michael Curtiz with the jodhpurs, riding boots, and megaphone.

The final scene with Bart and the people of Rock Ridge is a take on the final scene in High Noon and as Bart rides away to find the Wacko Kid dozing the Kid still has his popcorn from the scene in the cinema. Movies within movies - all is fake. While the last few moments with the car arriving and the wrangler taking the horses parodies the cliché of the hero[es] riding off into the sunset only with Bart/Cleavon and Jim/Gene being chauffeur driven off into the sunset.
                      "It ain't necessarily so
                      To read in the Bible
                      It ain't necessarily so
                      ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

As the camera tracks away from the fight in the fake Rock Ridge it parodies the famous tracking shot in the scene from Gone with the Wind but unlike in that film where the camera stopped short of showing Culver City, Brooks' camera just keeps going and as the music for The French Mistake rises, the camera zooms towards a closed set. Dom deLuise as the director Buddy Bizarre parodies both Busby Berkeley [musical extravaganzas] and of course Michael Curtiz with the jodhpurs, riding boots, and megaphone.

The final scene with Bart and the people of Rock Ridge is a take on the final scene in High Noon and as Bart rides away to find the Wacko Kid dozing the Kid still has his popcorn from the scene in the cinema. Movies within movies - all is fake. While the last few moments with the car arriving and the wrangler taking the horses parodies the cliché of the hero[es] riding off into the sunset only with Bart/Cleavon and Jim/Gene being chauffeur driven off into the sunset.
                        Dom DeLuise's portrayal of Busby Berkeley was the best part of the ending.

Having seen it several times I have come to appreciate the ending more than the first time I saw it, but it still looks rushed and tacked on.

Comment

Dom DeLuise's portrayal of Busby Berkeley was the best part of the ending.

Having seen it several times I have come to appreciate the ending more than the first time I saw it, but it still looks rushed and tacked on.
                          Well he's actually a composite - as I noted.
                          "It ain't necessarily so
                          To read in the Bible
                          It ain't necessarily so
                          ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Well he's actually a composite - as I noted.
                            Until you mentioned it I never realized the other connection, and a late friend of mine was a huge Busby Berkley fan and called DeLuise's parody spot on (in his opinion) so I really didn't think much more about it not knowing all that much about him.

Comment

Any time I hear the name Dom DeLuise I immediately think of movies like The Secret of NIMH, and An American Tail. It's a shame Don Bluth's movies went downhill in quality so quickly. I'm hoping his Kickstarter campaign for a Dragon's Lair movie is at the quality of the older stuff. Supposedly it comes out next year.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post

Any time I hear the name Dom DeLuise I immediately think of movies like The Secret of NIMH, and An American Tail. It's a shame Don Bluth's movies went downhill in quality so quickly. I'm hoping his Kickstarter campaign for a Dragon's Lair movie is at the quality of the older stuff. Supposedly it comes out next year.
                                DeLuise was good friends with Burt Reynolds and was in a bunch of the latter's films.

Comment