Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Am I missing something?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
    I suppose for those who do so the event is rather like a fancy dress party and so in that regard it is generally harmless.
    Pretty much. For most it's not really different than a Halloween party except for the date.

There are some really impressive costume designers out there for these events. I remember seeing a version of Thanos that looked better than the Marvel movie version. I know that some people who are really into this end up designing costumes for movies. Even without being into cosplaying I can't help but be impressed by some of the stuff out there.

To be honest I found them trite, overblown, and boring.
    The original movies I think are a little overblown, but I have never seen anyone say the Star Wars prequels were great movies. I still enjoy the older movies, and I think the second and third prequel movies are mediocre. I did get a kick out of Space Balls, which is a Star Wars parody by Mel Brooks. I've enjoyed pretty much every one of his movies I've seen.

I prefer Star Trek over Star Wars anyway. Star Wars just has better video games most of the time. Star Trek Online is the only good Star Trek game I've ever played. You get to customize your own ship and crew, you get to choose which faction out of Federation*, Romulan, and Klingon that you want. They even got many actors original to various series to play their part from the shows. It's not the best game out there, but it is free** and does a pretty good job representing the Star Trek lore.

It may not be to your taste. It is a heist movie set in London with a great deal of violence and bad language but it also a very funny farce.
    I know profanity is against the rules here, but it doesn't really bother me personally. Violence in most movies tends to not bother me either. If I ever get to a point where I watch more movies I might check it out. I like it when a movie has a good balance between silly and serious moments.

*You can even choose between different versions of the Federation like the original series ships and uniforms. I think it gives you a time travel themed tutorial if you do that.

**They have some things locked behind a paywall, but they are not necessary to play or enjoy the game. They are mostly cosmetic items and things like the option to make your captain a Borg with most implants removed.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      FWIU, LARPing appears to have its roots in Renaissance Fests and historical recreations.

Which is just acting, but not on a stage. I remember Gravity Falls having a pretty funny scene taking a jab at LARPing. They called their version FCLORP.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post

Which is just acting, but not on a stage. I remember Gravity Falls having a pretty funny scene taking a jab at LARPing. They called their version FCLORP.

Pffft. Everyone knows that you're supposed to use red balls for a fireball.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Pffft. Everyone knows that you're supposed to use red balls for a fireball.
          I thought the same thing the first time I saw the episode, and I don't even LARP. Although I would use blue if I were trying to mimic Riku's Dirk Firaga from Kingdom Hearts.

Comment

I thought the same thing the first time I saw the episode, and I don't even LARP. Although I would use blue if I were trying to mimic Riku's Dirk Firaga from Kingdom Hearts.
            I don't LARP either.

It might have something to do with my wanting to use Molotov cocktails to simulate fireballs

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Pretty much. For most it's not really different than a Halloween party except for the date.

There are some really impressive costume designers out there for these events. I remember seeing a version of Thanos that looked better than the Marvel movie version. I know that some people who are really into this end up designing costumes for movies. Even without being into cosplaying I can't help but be impressed by some of the stuff out there.
              Fair enough

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post

The original movies I think are a little overblown, but I have never seen anyone say the Star Wars prequels were great movies. I still enjoy the older movies, and I think the second and third prequel movies are mediocre. I did get a kick out of Space Balls, which is a Star Wars parody by Mel Brooks. I've enjoyed pretty much every one of his movies I've seen.
              Spaceballs was hilarious.

I know profanity is against the rules here, but it doesn't really bother me personally. Violence in most movies tends to not bother me either. If I ever get to a point where I watch more movies I might check it out. I like it when a movie has a good balance between silly and serious moments.
              Guy Ritchie did an excellent job on his first film. I think he should stopped there.

"It ain't necessarily so
              The things that you're liable
              To read in the Bible
              It ain't necessarily so
              ."

Sportin' Life
              Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

[...]

I did get a kick out of Space Balls, which is a Star Wars parody by Mel Brooks. I've enjoyed pretty much every one of his movies I've seen.
                I understand that they're going to run Blazing Saddles on one of the commercial networks this weekend. After the editing it is scheduled to run from 8:00 to 8:07 with limited commercial interruptions

Comment

Fair enough
                  I used to have a similar view to yours, but I changed my mind after thinking about it more.

Spaceballs was hilarious.

Guy Ritchie did an excellent job on his first film. I think he should stopped there.

I'll take your word for it on that one.

Comment

I used to have a similar view to yours, but I changed my mind after thinking about it more.
                    Perhaps I just got over all my dressing up when I was young!

I'll take your word for it on that one.
                    His other offerings have never been as good, in my opinion.

"It ain't necessarily so
                    To read in the Bible
                    It ain't necessarily so
                    ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

• It looks like we all agree that Galaxy Quest is a great spoof of Star Trek and that Space Balls is a great spoof of Star Wars.

Comment

I understand that they're going to run Blazing Saddles on one of the commercial networks this weekend. After the editing it is scheduled to run from 8:00 to 8:07 with limited commercial interruptions
                        Classic movie. I wonder if they will issue a warning prior to it commencing? "This film reflects the humour of its period and may cause offence to some viewers" or words to that effect!

I cannot think of a Mel Brooks film I have not enjoyed - oh except for the remake of The Producers . In my opinion one cannot improve on perfection. Nathan Lane is a good comic actor and he is brilliant as Albert/Albin in the remake of La Cage Aux Folles [The Birdcage] .but Zero is perfect as Max Bialystock as is Gene Wilder as Leo Bloom.
                        "It ain't necessarily so
                        To read in the Bible
                        It ain't necessarily so
                        ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Classic movie. I wonder if they will issue a warning prior to it commencing? "This film reflects the humour of its period and may cause offence to some viewers" or words to that effect!

I cannot think of a Mel Brooks film I have not enjoyed - oh except for the remake of The Producers . In my opinion one cannot improve on perfection. Nathan Lane is a good comic actor and he is brilliant as Albert/Albin in the remake of La Cage Aux Folles [The Birdcage] .but Zero is perfect as Max Bialystock as is Gene Wilder as Leo Bloom.
                          The Producers and High Anxiety were the only two movies of his that I thought were just okay.

Comment

The Producers and High Anxiety were the only two movies of his that I thought were just okay.
                            Really? Springtime for Hitler is a classic - we regularly sing it around the house - and Christopher Hewitt, Andréas Voutsinas, and Dick Shawn were brilliant. I had actually forgotten High Anxiety, that is not one of my favourites either but To Be or Not To Be is good and it was a pleasure to see husband and wife acting together.
                            "It ain't necessarily so
                            To read in the Bible
                            It ain't necessarily so
                            ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Really? Springtime for Hitler is a classic - we regularly sing it around the house - and Christopher Hewitt, Andréas Voutsinas, and Dick Shawn were brilliant. I had actually forgotten High Anxiety, that is not one of my favourites either but To Be or Not To Be is good and it was a pleasure to see husband and wife acting together.
                              I figured you to be more of a fan of History of the World Part I. Who could ever forget a musical rendition of the Inquisition?

Comment

I figured you to be more of a fan of History of the World Part I. Who could ever forget a musical rendition of the Inquisition?
                                Another one that has some classic moments. The inquisition is excellent but the Last Supper with John Hurt as Jesus is possibly my favourite scene. Not forgetting the El Al sailing ship and the hilarious "trailer" for Jews in Space!
                                "It ain't necessarily so
                                To read in the Bible
                                It ain't necessarily so
                                ."

Sportin' Life

Comment