Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Am I missing something?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post

They are also doing a new video game later this year. It looks like it plays something like the old arcade beat 'em up games.
    https://archive.org/details/arcade_asterix

Comment

• Looks like I downloaded a game from 1992 that won't work without a joystick

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

[...]

Actors are at the mercy of the director and the script. Years ago I remember watching a documentary about the early Star Wars films. Carrie Fisher and Harrison Ford were talking about how some of their rather excruciatingly bombastic lines made them giggle and George Lucas apparently got rather upset at their laughter. If I recall it was Ford who noted that Lucas clearly regarded both his script and his drama to be great art.
        Lucas was sure that Star Wars would be an utter flop and was telling people that he was returning to experimental cinema when it was done. In fact he went to Hawaii the day it was released to isolate himself from the bad news.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• I wonder if the new one is a remaster or sequel to that one. The new one has pretty good graphics right now, instead of pixelated like that it looks like a playable cartoon.

Comment

• Ok, you guys have dragged this thread off topic long enough!

Back to BACON!
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Is good for me, is good for me bacon dancing.gif

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                Is good for me, is good for me bacon dancing.gif
                Jed would be pleased.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Lucas was sure that Star Wars would be an utter flop and was telling people that he was returning to experimental cinema when it was done. In fact he went to Hawaii the day it was released to isolate himself from the bad news.
                  As I recall the documentary was made after several films had been produced. I also recall Ewan McGregor commenting [it might have been in the same documentary I cannot honestly remember] on the cult-like behaviour of fans. The fact that Lucas has been responsible for so many of these films does lead one to wonder if he has an overinflated opinion of himself as some kind of skáld.

The first film was fun and it really should have ended there. Or certainly gone no further than the Empire Strikes Back.

The problem with successful series and films is that so often the producers and directors never know when to stop. Breaking Bad could have been at least least one series shorter, although it was an excellent romp. And Vikings lost its way at the beginning of series 3. We ploughed through that to the end [laughing a lot of the time at the unintentional humour and crass historical anomalies] but gave up in the early episodes of series 4 when when we learned it ran to 20 episodes!

We are now wondering if Succession is in danger of going the same way. If they plan a series 4 I do not think we will be watching.
                  "It ain't necessarily so
                  The things that you're liable
                  To read in the Bible
                  It ain't necessarily so
                  ."

Sportin' Life
                  Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

As I recall the documentary was made after several films had been produced. I also recall Ewan McGregor commenting [it might have been in the same documentary I cannot honestly remember] on the cult-like behaviour of fans. The fact that Lucas has been responsible for so many of these films does lead one to wonder if he has an overinflated opinion of himself as some kind of skáld.

The first film was fun and it really should have ended there. Or certainly gone no further than the Empire Strikes Back.

The problem with successful series and films is that so often the producers and directors never know when to stop. Breaking Bad could have been at least least one series shorter, although it was an excellent romp. And Vikings lost its way at the beginning of series 3. We ploughed through that to the end [laughing a lot of the time at the unintentional humour and crass historical anomalies] but gave up in the early episodes of series 4 when when we learned it ran to 20 episodes!

We are now wondering if Succession is in danger of going the same way. If they plan a series 4 I do not think we will be watching.
                    Ewan McGregor wasn't associated with the original Star Wars movie, which is what Lucas was sure had been an utter failure.

Overall, the original trilogy was excellent. The second one (in which McGregor was involved with), not so much. While it had its moments it looked like everything was approved by a committee determined to check various boxes.

Comment

Ewan McGregor wasn't associated with the original Star Wars movie, which is what Lucas was sure had been an utter failure.
                      I realise that Ewan McGregor came along for later films.

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      Overall, the original trilogy was excellent.
                      Oh not the third film with the giant teddy bears - that was just daft.

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      The second one (in which McGregor was involved with), not so much. While it had its moments it looked like everything was approved by a committee determined to check various boxes.
                      Having a young family we watched the film with McGregor and Neeson but luckily were spared any more as the boys moved on to other interests.

"It ain't necessarily so
                      To read in the Bible
                      It ain't necessarily so
                      ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

I realise that Ewan McGregor came along for later films.
                        Which would make his experiences decades later rather irrelevant.

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
                        Oh not the third film with the giant teddy bears - that was just daft.
                        Agreed that wasn't the best part. Originally it was supposed to be the Wookies, like Chewbacca, but Chewbacca was too tech savvy and they wanted a group that was supposed to be technologically primitive. So they went with the opposite of Wookies -- short not tall, short fur not long fur.

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
                        Having a young family we watched the film with McGregor and Neeson but luckily were spared any more as the boys moved on to other interests.
                        Having suffered through the fatuous Jar Jar Binks I'm surprised that anyone who wasn't already a fan and saw this would continue.

Comment

Having suffered through the fatuous Jar Jar Binks I'm surprised that anyone who wasn't already a fan and saw this would continue.
                          Jar Jar Binks, in my opinion, is one of the most thoroughly under-rated characters in SF.
                          1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                          ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                          Scripture before Tradition:
                          but that won't prevent others from
                          taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                          of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post

Jar Jar Binks, in my opinion, is one of the most thoroughly under-rated characters in SF.
                            Only if you go with the fan theory that he was in fact Darth Sidious.

Comment

Only if you go with the fan theory that he was in fact Darth Sidious.
                              I think if they had gone through with that fan theory it would have redeemed the prequels, and the character of Jar Jar Binks as a whole.

Comment

Which would make his experiences decades later rather irrelevant.

Agreed that wasn't the best part. Originally it was supposed to be the Wookies, like Chewbacca, but Chewbacca was too tech savvy and they wanted a group that was supposed to be technologically primitive. So they went with the opposite of Wookies -- short not tall, short fur not long fur.

I agree with your remarks but I suppose we should both remember that [ostensibly] these films were for children and "family viewing" although as with Star Trek a cult following developed. A few months ago we watched a very funny movie with the late great Alan Rickman, that was a spoof of Star Trek, it was called Galaxy Quest and was very entertaining. Tim Allen was the version of James T Kirk and Alan Rickman a version of Mr Spock.
                                "It ain't necessarily so
                                To read in the Bible
                                It ain't necessarily so
                                ."

Sportin' Life

Comment