Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Dem. Terry McAuliffe throws old Joe under the bus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dem. Terry McAuliffe throws old Joe under the bus

Source: Democrat Terry McAuliffe says ‘unpopular’ Biden is a drag on Virginia governor’s race

Virginia gubernatorial Democrat candidate Terry McAuliffe cast President Joe Biden and his party’s lawmakers in Congress as a liability in the final weeks of the campaign, with polls showing a tightening race.

“We are facing a lot of headwinds from Washington,” McAuliffe, a former head of the Democratic National Committee, said during a virtual rally with supporters Tuesday. “As you know, the president is unpopular today, unfortunately, here in Virginia, so we’ve got to plow through.”

The remarks were quickly amplified by the Republican National Committee on Twitter as the McAuliffe campaign sought to explain them.

“Terry’s point was clearly that Democrats can’t take anything for granted and must turn out to vote this year: Glenn Youngkin is running on a divisive, Trumpian agenda that puts election conspiracy theories and banning abortion first,” McAuliffe’s campaign said in an emailed statement.

Biden is buffeted by intraparty fighting over his signature infrastructure package, a resurgent coronavirus pandemic and lingering bipartisan criticism for both his administration’s handling of migrants at the Southern border and the military’s August withdrawal from Afghanistan.

A former chair of the Democratic National Committee, McAuliffe’s distancing from the president may be a precursor as to how the party’s congressional candidates will try to save themselves in next year’s midterm elections.

"Terry is losing this race on his own because Virginians are rejecting his left liberal agenda of defunding the police, firing workers who won’t follow his vaccine edicts, keep parents from having a say in their child’s education, and raise taxes on each Virginia family by $5,400 dollars," Macaulay Porter, a Youngkin spokeswoman said in an emailed statement.

At a debate in late September, McAuliffe also distanced himself from congressional Democrats, arguing that the $3.5 trillion price tag for a bill enshrining Biden’s domestic policy agenda was “too high” and arguing that the debate over the legislation had dragged on too long, although he still called for its passage.

Over the summer, McAuliffe held a joint campaign appearance with the president in Arlington, a suburban battleground in northern Virginia. Biden won the state over Donald Trump by more than 10 points in last November’s presidential election.

But polls show McAuliffe in a dead heat with Youngkin, a former co-CEO of the Carlyle Group.

An Emerson College poll of 620 likely voters conducted Oct. 1-3 showed the two in a statistical tie, with 49% of respondents favoring McAuliffe and 48% backing Youngkin. The poll had a margin of error of 3.9 percentage points.

That same poll showed Biden’s approval underwater, with 48% disapproving and 45% approving, similar to other state and national surveys that have shown the president’s numbers declining.

With the exception of McAuliffe’s previous win in 2013, the party that doesn’t control the White House has won the state’s governorship since the 1970s.

Source

© Copyright Original Source

McAuliffe, who made his political bones being one of both Bill and Hillary Clinton's top dog washers, and is the incumbent -- current Governor (which I guess being from a Virginia paper they didn't think it necessary to say that).

Virginia is considered a "purple state" by hasn't voted Republican since Bush. I've also heard talk about how northern Virginia is becoming like a Democrat political machine. It would take an overwhelming vote against McAuliffe and for Youngkin for the Republicans to squeak out a win.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Washington DC basically owns Virginia at this point.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

It is still amazing to me how few Biden supports exist in either the US or on TheologyWeb. It's becoming more and more apparent to me that Biden was elected simply because he was not Trump and now that he's in, no one cares to support him.
      "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
        It is still amazing to me how few Biden supports exist in either the US or on TheologyWeb. It's becoming more and more apparent to me that Biden was elected simply because he was not Trump and now that he's in, no one cares to support him.
        I don't know about that. All across the country at virtually any large gathering the crowd seems to spontaneously burst out chanting his name. Or is that "Let's go Brandon"?

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
          In 2016, it was anyone but Hillary.
          In 2020, it was anyone but Trump.
          In 2024, it will be anyone but Biden (if he's still alive and non comatose).

What a sad state of affairs, voting based on lesser of evils.

Comment

[QUOTE=Ronson;n1312231]

What a sad state of affairs, voting based on lesser of evils.[/QUOTE]

It's been that way since I was old enough to vote. Indeed a sad state of affairs.

We know J6 wasn’t peaceful because they didn’t set the building on fire.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

What a sad state of affairs, voting based on lesser of evils.
              Alas that's the natural result of our two party system that ensures this remains a two-party system by making it next to impossible for anyone else to compete.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                I don't know about that. All across the country at virtually any large gathering the crowd seems to spontaneously burst out chanting his name. Or is that "Let's go Brandon"?
                Brandon seems to be a really popular guy.
                "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by alaskazimm View Post
                  ]It's been that way since I was old enough to vote. Indeed a sad state of affairs.
                  I don't know if this is true. People seemed to really support Obama in 2008, and Reagan in 1984.

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post
                  Alas that's the natural result of our two party system that ensures this remains a two-party system by making it next to impossible for anyone else to compete.
                  I believe it is time for some tinkering. The Founding Fathers (a couple, at least) were fearful of a two-party system developing. I think they'd agree that some adjustments are needed.

Comment

I don't know if this is true. People seemed to really support Obama in 2008, and Reagan in 1984.

I believe it is time for some tinkering. The Founding Fathers (a couple, at least) were fearful of a two-party system developing. I think they'd agree that some adjustments are needed.
                    The problem is that anybody who would be in the position to change the system would inevitably do so in their own favor.
                    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post

The problem is that anybody who would be in the position to change the system would inevitably do so in their own favor.
                      It would take a modern constitutional convention, with 3/4 of the states to ratify it, so it is unlikely. Too bad.

I see a constant global march to the Left as populations grow and city populations increase. And as that power base grows, so will its ill effects and corruption. But I'll be long gone before it gets dire.

Comment

It would take a modern constitutional convention, with 3/4 of the states to ratify it, so it is unlikely. Too bad.

I see a constant global march to the Left as populations grow and city populations increase. And as that power base grows, so will its ill effects and corruption. But I'll be long gone before it gets dire.
                        FWIU you can't restrict what gets discussed at a Constitutional Convention making them harder to control than herding cats. That's why I doubt that they'll ever convey another one. They don't know what might come out of it.

Comment