Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Malaysia Airlines Flight #370

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Malaysia Airlines Flight #370

It's been days now since its disappearance.

What happened to it?

Originally posted by foudroyant View Post
    It's been days now since its disappearance.

What happened to it?
    I'm sure the "kidnapped by space aliens" is getting good play in the woo markets.

It is a mystery and a tragedy though.

My idle speculation - a bomb that caused a rapid decompression and took out all of the aircraft's electronics so no radio, no beacon. A rapid possibly near vertical descent from 35000 ft so loss of radar track. Near or at sea level the pilots managed to regain some control and flew on for another 10-15 minutes perpendicular to the original flight path, taking them 70-100 miles away from the prime search corridor. Then splash.

Comment

My understanding is it is far from unprecedented for it to take several days for wreckage to be located, so I expect us to at least have a location within a day or two, hopefully.
      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Lord Jesus, help them find the answer.
        Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

One has to consider the possibility of pilot suicide -- as happened 15 years ago with Egypt Air 990. I would certainly hope that's not the case, but it would be one of the explanations for the pilots not initiating SOME kind of warning / distress call / communication.

Another, and probably more likely, is the "sudden catastrophic failure" like Beagle mentioned.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
            Lord Jesus, help them find the answer.
            edited
            Last edited by Catholicity; 03-11-2014, 12:43 PM.
            “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
            “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
            “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
              If Jesus was on the case they would have landed safely and on time.
              God doesn't always answer every prayer with a "yes". Sometimes He allows fallen humanity to go their own way. And, yes, that means that sometimes the innocent suffer as well.

And since that falls under God's sovereignty, I must leave it there.

I also pray they find the answer soon for those who are missing loved ones.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                God doesn't always answer every prayer with a "yes". Sometimes He allows fallen humanity to go their own way. And, yes, that means that sometimes the innocent suffer as well.

And since that falls under God's sovereignty, I must leave it there.

I also pray they find the answer soon for those who are missing loved ones.
                Amen.
                Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Edited by a Moderator
                  This is really not an appropriate thread to be bashing Christians, FF.
                  Last edited by Bill the Cat; 06-12-2014, 01:04 PM.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                    This is really not an appropriate thread to be bashing Christians, FF.
                    I apologise to anyone who feels bashed by my last comment.
                    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                    “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

I don't think you were bashing believers, ff. I do think you were bashing God, though. So don't be concerned abouting offending me......
                      Last edited by mossrose; 03-11-2014, 01:02 PM.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

One has to consider the possibility of pilot suicide -- as happened 15 years ago with Egypt Air 990. I would certainly hope that's not the case, but it would be one of the explanations for the pilots not initiating SOME kind of warning / distress call / communication.

Another, and probably more likely, is the "sudden catastrophic failure" like Beagle mentioned.

That was my first suspicion considering that usually if it was a terrorist attack/bombing someone would be taking credit by now -- unless they're planning further action.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I apologise to anyone who feels bashed by my last comment.
                          And what Moss said.

Comment

That or perhaps he was... let's say "distracted".

Missing Malaysia Airlines Pilot Entertained Women in Cockpit

The first officer on the missing Malaysia Airlines flight invited two young women into the cockpit in 2011 for an entire flight, where Fariq Abdul Hamid, the co-pilot, smoked cigarettes and flirted while flying the plane, according to the London Evening Standard.

Jonti Roos told Australian television’s "A Current Affair" that she and her friend, Jaan Maree, stood in line to board the flight from Phuket to Kuala Lumpur when Hamid, 27, and the other pilot walked past and then came back and invited the women to join them in the cockpit for the one-hour, international flight.

The women sat in jump seats for takeoff and landing and snapped pictures together, one with Maree wearing a pilot’s cap, according to the report.

Malaysia Airlines has issued a statement on its website saying it is "shocked" by the allegations and is investigating.

"We have not been able to confirm the validity of the pictures and videos of the alleged incident," according to the statement. "As you are aware, we are in the midst of a crisis, and we do not want our attention to be diverted."

Early Saturday, Malaysia Airlines Flight 370, bound for Beijing, disappeared from radar screens somewhere between Malaysia and Vietnam. The Boeing 777-200ER carried 239 people, 227 passengers, and 12 crew members. Five of the passengers were younger than 5 years old, according to CNN.

CNN also reported that three U.S. citizens were on the flight. The passengers also included employees of an unidentified American semiconductor company.

Roos, who is South African, told "A Current Affair" that despite Hamid and his colleague paying so much attention to her and her friend – at one point she said the men were "pretty much turned around the whole time in their seats talking to us" – she never feared for her safety.

"I did feel safe," she said. "I don’t think there was one instance where I felt threatened, or I felt that they didn’t know what they were doing."

What most concerned the women was the cigarette smoke.

"We wished they would stop smoking because it is such a confined space. But you can’t exactly tell a pilot to stop smoking."

The pilots asked the women to change their travel plans to join the men for a few nights in Kuala Lumpur, she said.

Roos said she came forward to offer any information that might help the investigation.

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/Mal.../11/id/558921/

Comment

If I might humbly remind us (me too) of the old war adage: "the first reports from the field are never right".

I've seen so many "stories" and "theories" on this, and the internet conspiracy theory machine is in hypermode.

When I'm responsible for gathering information on a crisis (I used to be the Director of Corporate Communications for a gas compression company) I made it a habit to ask two questions when somebody gave me information "from the field"...

1) do we KNOW that?
                              2) HOW do we know that?

Or, as Joe Friday (Jack Webb) is credited with saying*, "Just the facts, ma'am".

*he never actually said those words on the show

Comment