Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Malaysia Airlines Flight #370

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agreed. The media hysteria over the Sandy Hook shootings and the Dorner manhunt were prime examples of bad info running rampant. Never mind the conspiracy nuts. Left a permanent bad taste in my mouth.
    Last edited by DesertBerean; 03-11-2014, 10:20 PM.
    Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

You can't corner the Dorner.
      "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

CNN says China Satellite spots wreckage....

http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/12/world/...ane/index.html

Source: CNN

(CNN) -- A Chinese satellite looking into the mysterious disappearance of Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 "observed a suspected crash area at sea," a Chinese government agency said -- a potentially pivotal lead into what has been a frustrating search for the Boeing 777.

China's State Administration for Science, Technology and Industry for National Defense announced the discovery, including images of what it said were "three suspected floating objects and their sizes." The objects aren't small at 13 by 18 meters (43 by 59 feet), 14 by 19 meters and 24 by 22 meters.

The images were captured on March 9 -- which was the day after the plane went missing -- but weren't released until Wednesday.

The Chinese agency gave coordinates of 105.63 east longitude, 6.7 north latitude, which would put it in waters northeast of where it took off in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, and south of Vietnam.

This isn't the first time authorities have announced they were looking at objects or oil slicks that might be tied to aircraft. Still, it is the latest and comes on the same day that officials, rather than narrowing the search area, more than doubled it from the day earlier to nearly 27,000 square nautical miles (35,000 square miles).

© Copyright Original Source

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          CNN says China Satellite spots wreckage....
          Actually, they saw some bright dots on a satellite image. The rumour mill is in overdrive at the moment. It is very difficult to tell what is going on until either actual wreckage is found or the crash investigators report on the available data. I do not get the impression yet that the investigation team (whoever is involved (NTSB and AAIB will be trying to help)) is on top of the situation. There are too many people running around like blue-arsed flies.
          “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
          “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
          “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
            Actually, they saw some bright dots on a satellite image. The rumour mill is in overdrive at the moment. It is very difficult to tell what is going on until either actual wreckage is found or the crash investigators report on the available data. I do not get the impression yet that the investigation team (whoever is involved (NTSB and AAIB will be trying to help)) is on top of the situation. There are too many people running around like blue-arsed flies.
            It was a report from a credible news agency*, not an "aliens took it" rumor. Even our CIA and Military officials were interested.

*Did I just call CNN a "credible news agency"?
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

It was a report from a credible news agency*, not an "aliens took it" rumor. Even our CIA and Military officials were interested.
              *Did I just call CNN a "credible news agency"?
              Interesting yes, just not wreckage from the aircraft until it is on the deck. The recent report in the Wall Street Journal about engine data being transmitted for four hours after the plane went missing turns out to be false. Many such rumours are going the rounds.
              “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
              “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                Interesting yes, just not wreckage from the aircraft until it is on the deck. The recent report in the Wall Street Journal about engine data being transmitted for four hours after the plane went missing turns out to be false. Many such rumours are going the rounds.
                Do you just feel like stating the obvious today?

Comment

Do you just feel like stating the obvious today?
                  It wasn’t obvious at #18 (“satellite spots wreckage”). That’s why I mentioned it.

Comment

Wall Street Journal is reporting that tracking systems were turned off manually...

Source: WSJ

Communication satellites received intermittent data "pings" from a missing Malaysia Airlines jet, giving the plane's location, speed and altitude for at least five hours after it disappeared from civilian radar screens

(this isn't a rumor, FF --- it's a report from a credible news agency. )

Comment

Wall Street Journal is reporting that tracking systems were turned off manually...
                      Source: WSJ

Communication satellites received intermittent data "pings" from a missing Malaysia Airlines jet, giving the plane's location, speed and altitude for at least five hours after it disappeared from civilian radar screens

(this isn't a rumor, FF --- it's a report from a credible news agency. )
                      I am following events. These pings that Jon Ostrower has written about are definitely intriguing. Had the plane crashed somewhere along its planned route I think it would have been found by now. Ostrower is saying that the pings included gps data which would give investigators a new course to search. At this time it is still quite speculative because the investigators have not said what they know about it. Whatever happened, the story is shaping up to be even weirder than AF447.

Comment

BTW, I see that the well known nutter Uri Geller is trying to get in on the act by advocating the use of remote viewing to find the missing plane.

In other news, I have purchased for my kindle “Doubt – a history – The Great Doubters and Their Legacy of Innovation from Socrates and Jesus to Thomas Jefferson and Emily Dickinson” by Jennifer Michael Hecht. When I have read it in the next week or so I will write a review for the forum.
                        Last edited by firstfloor; 03-14-2014, 05:50 AM.

Comment

http://www.theonion.com/articles/mal...-includ,35524/

Comment

Source: (Reuters)

- Military radar data suggests a Malaysia Airlines jetliner missing for nearly a week was deliberately flown hundreds of miles off course, heightening suspicions of foul play among investigators, sources told Reuters on Friday.

Analysis of the Malaysia data suggests the plane, with 239 people on board, diverted from its intended northeast route from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing and flew west instead, using airline flight corridors normally employed for routes to the Middle East and Europe, said sources familiar with investigations into the Boeing 777's disappearance.

Two sources said an unidentified aircraft that investigators believe was Flight MH370 was following a route between navigational waypoints when it was last plotted on military radar off the country's northwest coast.

This indicates that it was either being flown by the pilots or someone with knowledge of those waypoints, the sources said.

Comment

There was a live broadcast from Malaysia in which a prime minister confirmed their belief the jet was hijacked. I haven't found any link to provide his remarks but they were pretty sobering. The belief is the jet was turned to the direction of the Strait of Malacca (I hope I got that right)
                              Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
                                There was a live broadcast from Malaysia in which a prime minister confirmed their belief the jet was hijacked. I haven't found any link to provide his remarks but they were pretty sobering. The belief is the jet was turned to the direction of the Strait of Malacca (I hope I got that right)
                                The closest I've seen:

Source: Malaysia: Plane's disappearance 'deliberate action'

Malaysia's Prime Minister Najib Razak said a news conference in Kuala Lumpur on Saturday that the transponder on the missing Malaysia Airlines jetliner was disabled by "deliberate action" just before the aircraft reached the east coast of Vietnam.

Source

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment