Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Thank You Leftists, For Making Gun...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
    I am not the one trying to play down von Braun's culpability as a potential war criminal and his role in using slave labour. Your ethical stance is also rather "selective". He did not actually round up undesirables [not many Nazi party members actually did that] and nor were were all "undesirables" automatically send to be "exterminated" as historical evidence has shown. However, von Braun knew that slave labour was being used in his weapons works and he knew the hellish conditions under which those men lived and worked.
    I have repeatedly condemned von Braun's actions, even in the very post you say I'm "trying to play down von Braun's culpability" so your claim here not only lacks merit but is obviously false.

It is funny that you have a history of trying to excuse Nazi atrocities (often playing whataboutism games in your attempts) and then turn around and accuse others of trying to minimize their culpability.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      I have repeatedly condemned von Braun's actions
      Yet you wrote "And I hope that you aren't seeking to say that allowing von Braun off because he was useful is in any way comparable to what the Nazis did" as if von Braun was not a Nazi.

He was a Nazi. He held a senior rank in the SS and he knowingly used slave labour and thousands of those slave labourers lived and died in horrendous conditions working in his weapons plant.

I am not entirely sure where you perceive the ethical difference to lie.

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      It is funny that you have a history of trying to excuse Nazi atrocities (often playing whataboutism games in your attempts) and then turn around and accuse others of trying to minimize their culpability.
      It's amusing that you have tried to play down von Braun's role.
      Last edited by Hypatia_Alexandria; 10-19-2021, 09:01 AM.
      "It ain't necessarily so
      The things that you're liable
      To read in the Bible
      It ain't necessarily so
      ."

Sportin' Life
      Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Yet you wrote "And I hope that you aren't seeking to say that allowing von Braun off because he was useful is in any way comparable to what the Nazis did" as if von Braun was not a Nazi.

He was a Nazi. He held a senior rank in the SS and he knowingly used slave labour and thousands died as a result.

I am not entirely sure where you perceive the ethical difference to lie.

I made the point about von Braun's murky past to seer who gave a thumbs up response to my remark to Cow Poke that he must be glad the US got von Braun.
        Leave it to H_A to try to compare anything to slaughtering millions in extermination camps. Gotta minimize that, right?

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Leave it to H_A to try to compare anything to slaughtering millions in extermination camps. Gotta minimize that, right?
          Oh so 30,000 deaths is an attempt to "minimize"? Really?

Do you apply an ethical sliding scale for atrocities?

[sarcasm intended] Perhaps we should dismiss My Lai as an atrocity because only a few hundred were murdered.
          "It ain't necessarily so
          To read in the Bible
          It ain't necessarily so
          ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Oh so 30,000 deaths is an attempt to "minimize"? Really?

Do you apply an ethical sliding scale for atrocities?

[sarcasm intended] Perhaps we should dismiss My Lai as an atrocity because only a few hundred were murdered.
            Still desperately wanting to equate things like Dachau and Auschwitz to every other atrocity in order to minimize the scope and magnitude of the former.

Comment

Still desperately wanting to equate things like Dachau and Auschwitz to every other atrocity in order to minimize the scope and magnitude of the former.
              I have had a similar exchange with another Christian on a different forum on this issue. I find it somewhat distasteful to attempt to argue that atrocity X is a greater atrocity than atrocity Y simply on the basis of the numbers involved in both.
              "It ain't necessarily so
              To read in the Bible
              It ain't necessarily so
              ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

I have had a similar exchange with another Christian on a different forum on this issue. I find it somewhat distasteful to attempt to argue that atrocity X is a greater atrocity than atrocity Y simply on the basis of the numbers involved in both.
                And you have the distasteful habit of seeking to minimize things like the Holocaust by equating it with every other atrocity. Bluntly, as bad as it was, and to be clear, it was an unconscionable act, but Mai Lai is not the same as Dachau. To regard them as being on the same level is at the very least disconcerting.

Now, continue on with your deliberate misrepresentation of my position, After all, you've shown it is the only way in which you can respond.

Comment

It's not just the numbers - it's the extent to which it was planned and implemented, and the scope of the carnage - there are some things that stand out as so blatantly evil they simply can't be compared with other events.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

And you have the distasteful habit of seeking to minimize things like the Holocaust by equating it with every other atrocity. Bluntly, as bad as it was, and to be clear, it was an unconscionable act, but Mai Lai is not the same as Dachau. To regard them as being on the same level is at the very least disconcerting.

Now, continue on with your deliberate misrepresentation of my position, After all, you've shown it is the only way in which you can respond.
                    I have never sought to minimize the horrors of the Holocaust and I have reminded one or two here to remember that it was actually closer to eleven million innocents murdered by the Nazis, not only the six million Jews.

However, I would like you to tell us all why you consider that My Lai was "not the same as Dachau" and where exactly you see the difference?
                    "It ain't necessarily so
                    To read in the Bible
                    It ain't necessarily so
                    ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

I have never sought to minimize the horrors of the Holocaust and I have reminded one or two here to remember that it was actually closer to eleven million innocents murdered by the Nazis, not only the six million Jews.

However, I would like you to tell us all why you consider that My Lai was "not the same as Dachau" and where exactly you see the difference?
                      "to tell us all"? I think you're the only one who doesn't get it.
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

"to tell us all"? I think you're the only one who doesn't get it.
                        You been studying the livers again?

If it is all so clear, kindly tell me if you rank atrocities by the number of victims involved? I do hope not. It would put the victims of 9/11 quite low on the list. After all what's three thousand or so against eleven million?
                        "It ain't necessarily so
                        To read in the Bible
                        It ain't necessarily so
                        ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

He was a Nazi. He held a senior rank in the SS and he knowingly used slave labour and thousands of those slave labourers lived and died in horrendous conditions working in his weapons plant.
                          You seem to have some pent up hostility - is this a family thing? Was he your uncle or something?

Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

You been studying the livers again?
                            You have a gift for saying the stupidest things.

If it is all so clear, kindly tell me if you rank atrocities by the number of victims involved? I do hope not. It would put the victims of 9/11 quite low on the list. After all what's three thousand or so against eleven million?
                            Everybody else here gets it - we'll just allow you to wallow in our dogged ignorance.

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post

You seem to have some pent up hostility - is this a family thing? Was he your uncle or something?
                              Wernher von Braun was a Nazi, held a senior rank in the SS and utilised slave labour. All of which makes me wonder what prompted you to give the "thumbs up" emoticon over my remark that he went to the USA.

Generally many here [rightly] condemn Nazis per se and even imply that I too am one or related to one [as you have just done] , but Wernher doesn't receive that level of outrage or condemnation.

Why is that?
                              "It ain't necessarily so
                              To read in the Bible
                              It ain't necessarily so
                              ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Wernher von Braun was a Nazi, held a senior rank in the SS and utilised slave labour. All of which makes me wonder what prompted you to give the "thumbs up" emoticon over my remark that he went to the USA.

Generally many here [rightly] condemn Nazis per se and even imply that I too am one or related to one [as you have just done] , but Wernher doesn't receive that level of outrage or condemnation.

Why is that?
                                You seem obsessed with this flowery path of a derail, why?

Comment