Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Thank You Leftists, For Making Gun...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post
    do you do those two because you're scared ?
    The law requires the wearing of a seatbelt [it also helps in reducing the risk of death and/or serious injury] and it makes sense to check household security features are working otherwise there is little point in having them.

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post
    No. It makes you either a bit dumber or it means you don't have some basic rights in your coubtry.
    is risking your own and possibly the lives of others a "basic right"?
    "It ain't necessarily so
    The things that you're liable
    To read in the Bible
    It ain't necessarily so
    ."

Sportin' Life
    Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

"Incidents"?
      Not "Incidents" incidence.

I am beginning to wonder, given your misreading of this word and your confusion over Americas/Americans, if you need to get your eyes checked.

"It ain't necessarily so
      To read in the Bible
      It ain't necessarily so
      ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

Cow Poke wrote: "It's a simple fact that the more the left tries to blame guns rather than the actual cause of violence, gun sales climb."

You are writing that the government needs to be kept "in check" and also alleging that "the violent places are the ones that tend to have the most gun restrictions by liberals, meaning mostly only the criminals have guns and the citizens are defenseless."
        the two are not mutually exclusive.

The left tries to blame guns instead of the people using them. And as a result, people are more likely to buy them to get ahead of potential gun bans.
        I am confused.
        that's nothing new

If the more people own guns the safer a place becomes why are states that have high rates of gun ownership like Kentucky and Tennessee [49% and 46% respectively] also considered among the "deadliest states" for gun violence?
        The same way that if you have a car, you're more likely to be in a car accident. I also don't know where you're getting your info from for the latter..

Comment

Cow Poke wrote: "It's a simple fact that the more the left tries to blame guns rather than the actual cause of violence, gun sales climb."
          True - an unintended consequence of gun grabbing is that citizens will seek to purchase and own more guns.

You are writing that the government needs to be kept "in check" and also alleging that "the violent places are the ones that tend to have the most gun restrictions by liberals, meaning mostly only the criminals have guns and the citizens are defenseless."
          I concur.

I am confused.
          We know.

If the more people own guns the safer a place becomes why are states that have high rates of gun ownership like Kentucky and Tennessee [49% and 46% respectively] also considered among the "deadliest states" for gun violence?
          Let's see the cites for that, please.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

usually a negative connotation.
            Not necessarily.

From Merriam Webster online

Definition of incidence

1a: rate of occurrence or influencea high incidence of crime
            b: an act or the fact or manner of falling upon or affecting : OCCURRENCE
            2a: ANGLE OF INCIDENCE
            b: the arrival of something (such as a projectile or a ray of light) at a surface

Did you know?

The words incident, incidence, and instance may seem similar (and, in fact, incident and incidence are closely related), but they are not used identically. In current use, incidence usually means "rate of occurrence" and is often qualified in some way ("a high incidence of diabetes"). Incident usually refers to a particular event, often something unusual or unpleasant ("many such incidents go unreported"). Instance suggests a particular occurrence that is offered as an example ("another instance of bureaucratic bumbling"); it can also be synonymous with case ("many instances in which the wrong form was submitted"). The plural incidences sometimes occurs in such contexts as "several recent incidences of crime," but this use is often criticized as incorrect.

[My emphasis]
            "It ain't necessarily so
            To read in the Bible
            It ain't necessarily so
            ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

The law requires the wearing of a seatbelt [it also helps in reducing the risk of death and/or serious injury] and it makes sense to check household security features are working otherwise there is little point in having them.
              So that's a no then
              is risking your own and possibly the lives of others a "basic right"?
              How in the blue blazes is that risking my own and possibly the lives of others? What are you smoking?

And yes, keeping and bearing a firearm is indeed a basic right.
              Last edited by Gondwanaland; 10-13-2021, 11:50 AM.

Comment

Not necessarily.
                Hence my use of the word "usually", rather than "always"

Comment

Because they have more guns. Duh. You are conflating two very different statistics here, "safer" (assumption: violent crime rate) is not synonymous with Gun violence rates.

To use an analogy. States with more machete's per capita will more than likely be the "deadliest states for machete violence", however, as machete deaths probably make up such a small percentage of the violent crime rate, that specific stat wouldn't really be meaningful.

So, what you want to compare is violent crime rates, not specifically gun violence rates.

Comment

So that's a no then
                    It is precisely what I wrote. Your assumption as what I intended is entirely your own.

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post
                    How in the blue blazes is that risking my own and possibly the lives of others? What are you smoking?
                    Your reply post 94

You quoted me "I always wear a seatbelt and regularly check the batteries in the fire and carbon monoxide alarms but I do not carry a firearm.

You replied "do you do those two because you're scared ?"

You quoted me, "Does that mean I am braver than many Americans?"

To which you replied "No. It makes you either a bit dumber or it means you don't have some basic rights in your coubtry.[sic]

I do not consider that risking my own life or that of other people is a basic right. Hence my question to you.
                    "It ain't necessarily so
                    To read in the Bible
                    It ain't necessarily so
                    ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

It is precisely what I wrote. Your assumption as to its meaning is your own.
                      So are you admitting you can't actually answer the yes or no question?

Your reply post 94

You quoted me "I always wear a seatbelt and regularly check the batteries in the fire and carbon monoxide alarms but I do not carry a firearm.

You replied "do you do those two because you're scared ?"

You quoted me, "Does that mean I am braver than many Americans?"

To which you replied "No. It makes you either a bit dumber or it means you don't have some basic rights in your coubtry.[sic]
                      See above.
                      I do not consider that risking my own life or that of other people is a basic right. Hence my question to you.
                      But again you have not explained your word ejaculation.

Comment

Hence my use of the word "usually", rather than "always"
                        And hence my comment not necessarily.
                        "It ain't necessarily so
                        To read in the Bible
                        It ain't necessarily so
                        ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

And hence my comment not necessarily.
                          Your pointless repeating of what was already implied in my word usage, you mean.

Comment

So are you admitting you can't actually answer the yes or no question?

See above.

But again you have not explained your word ejaculation.
                            You asked a question I answered it. If you cannot work out the meaning of my reply that is not my problem.

I do not consider risking my own or the lives others to be a basic right.
                            "It ain't necessarily so
                            To read in the Bible
                            It ain't necessarily so
                            ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

You asked a question I answered it. If you cannot work out the meaning of my reply that is not my problem.

I do not consider risking my own or the lives others to be a basic right.
                              Okay so we can assume you are scared to answer whether you do those things because you are scared.

And again, keeping and bearing arms does not risk my life or the lives of others unless those others happen to be perpetrating a crime against my person.

Comment

• I am a bit down this week. The friend I usually go shooting with died last week so now I don't have anyone to go to the shooting range with.

Now he was a a gun collector! He had over a dozen different handguns and rifles, including an AR-15, and a roomful of ammo.

Comment