Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Portland Arts Council Votes To Not Restore Toppled Founding Father Statues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Portland Arts Council Votes To Not Restore Toppled Founding Father Statues

Claims it is racially 'insensitive' and that putting them back up after the racist BLM movement toppled them, will make them "gatherings centered on racist or bigoted ideology,".

Just in case anyone thought there was any hope for Portland still left. Any sane person has already left or is making the preparations for a move.
    https://www.foxnews.com/us/toppled-r...land-locations
    The Regional Arts & Culture Council Board of Directors endorsed a recommendation Wednesday that toppled and removed monuments not be returned to their previous locations and to inform the city of Portland, Oregon.

The statues include: George Washington, Abraham Lincoln, Theodore Roosevelt: Rough Rider, Harvey Scott, and Promised Land. City officials have decided that Elk will return to downtown Portland.

RACC’s Public Art Committee (PAC) made the recommendation not to return the five statues to their previous locations. The committee oversees and guides Public Art Program policies for the selection, placement, and maintenance of works of art acquired through the Percent for Art Program and other public/private programs RACC manages, according to a press release. The committee is made up of artists, art administrators and community stakeholders.

The PAC recommendation is consistent with recent action by the Portland City Council recommending new public art represent more diverse cultural identities and histories for the South Park Blocks. The George Washington statue cannot be returned to its former site as that site is privately owned and the owners do not wish to have it in that location anymore.

The recommendation not to return these statues to their previous locations raises the question of what happens next. According to RACC’s Public Art Program policies, consideration of moving the statues to a new home or if they are to remain in the public collection are questions that require meaningful community engagement.

The Board directed the RACC team and PAC to come back to them at a meeting in October with a process for engaging stakeholders in a conversation about what happens next with each statue.

Community engagement and stakeholder input are part of the process. Follow this link to provide input.
    Good news though, that vile evil racist statue titled Elk (Which is literally a flippin' elk) will be restored and put back into place after being vandalized by BLM and removed.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/destroyed...202300164.html

But wasn't it a male Elk? Restoring sends a message in support of the patriarchal oppressors.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I would vote not to restore (or fund) the Arts Council.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I think they should ship them the Joe Paterno statue (wherever that one is residing). I always hated that thing. And since I will never go to Portland for any reason, it would be a good place to hide it.

paterno_statue.jpg

Comment