Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The Unbearable Smugness of the Press

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Unbearable Smugness of the Press

I like this....

Commentary: The unbearable smugness of the press

Journalists increasingly don’t even believe in the possibility of reasoned disagreement, and as such ascribe cynical motives to those who think about things a different way. We see this in the ongoing veneration of “facts,” the ones peddled by explainer websites and data journalists who believe themselves to be curiously post-ideological.

That the explainers and data journalists so frequently get things hilariously wrong never invites the soul-searching you’d think it would. Instead, it all just somehow leads us to more smugness, more meanness, more certainty from the reporters and pundits. Faced with defeat, we retreat further into our bubble, assumptions left unchecked. No, it’s the voters who are wrong.

As a direct result, we get it wrong with greater frequency. Out on the road, we forget to ask the right questions. We can’t even imagine the right question. We go into assignments too certain that what we find will serve to justify our biases. The public’s estimation of the press declines even further -- fewer than one-in-three Americans trust the press, per Gallup -- which starts the cycle anew.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Stupid reporters. I bet they wish they knew everything like I do.

Comment

On the flipside, Rush Limbaugh predicted on his show yesterday that this would happen. Any time things don't go the media's way, they go through this introspection and soul searching routine as a way of dealing with their disappointment, but Rush warns us not to fall for it. Things won't be any different in the future. He says to give them a couple of weeks to get it out of their system, and they'll be right back at it, sneering at us and attempting to undermine President Trump.

Source: Rush Limbaugh

This will only last for two weeks, by the way. Every time the left loses, they'll go through two weeks of apparent introspection where they will admit they're out of touch and admit they miss things, and after two weeks it's all over and they go back to their arrogant supremacy and superiority act and start impugning and criticizing and ripping to shreds everybody and everything that's not them.

So enjoy it for these next two weeks while the game is played again, just like it was after 2002, just like it was after 2000, 2004, 2010, every time they lose, they go through this self-introspection for a couple of weeks, make everybody think that there's learning and studying, and then they revert to who they really are, which is arrogant, contemptuous, and condescending of us. Never more visible in the coverage last night. They would not accept what was happening right before their very eyes, as Trump was winning.

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/20...want_to_see_it

© Copyright Original Source

Last edited by Mountain Man; 11-10-2016, 03:42 PM.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment