Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

18 Year Old Left Braindead After School Resource Officer Fires At Car Driving Away

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    That's kind of what is happening in the Ahmaud Arbery shooting case here in Georgia. The defense keeps wanting to enter stuff learned later about the victim in order to show this wasn't some innocent lamb "doin' nuthin' to nobody."

But neither the father or son knew any of that before the shooting so it keeps getting ruled as inadmissible.
    Yeah, I remember weighing in on the facts about who Arbery was, and got accused of "blaming the victim" when I did no such thing.
    I was absolutely clear that I didn't believe he needed to be shot.

But the fact remains - it's what was known or believed at the time, not what we find out after the fact.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

That's a bit judgmental.
      I'm not knocking you for it, just being realistic.

I'm a realist.

Yet we come to the same conclusion.
      Mostly.

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post
        I'm not knocking you for it, just being realistic.
        No, I'm realistic! You're judgmental!!!!

Mostly.
        OK, I'm game --- even from my very "charitable" viewpoint, he's still in the wrong, and doesn't deserve to be a cop.
        I would think that carries more weight than somebody who is looking for examples of bad cops, and makes the same determination.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

No, I'm realistic! You're judgmental!!!!
          And I'm not just like crapping on you and your character. I'm speaking from experience. My brother in law used to be a cop. Even now I'll see hints of it even though he left years ago due to health problems, when it comes to any story about cops. Even ones involving myself, who he knows very well - like, we regularly hang out and do things together, kind of knowing each other. I stopped open carrying when I moved to Colorado (quite a while ago now), due to an experience with police. I'm.... well I look like I could be clerk at a 7Eleven in a lower income neighborhood. Just don't have the Indian accent. I was open carrying with some friends, who are very much white. Some karen called 911 on us for daring to open carry. I'm the only one of the group that ended up face down on the floor, arm twisted back behind me, with a boot slammed into my back by one of the officers who responded. Never touched my gun, never moved my hands as they approached our group, immediately answered questions on if we were allowed to own guns, never did anything different than any of my friends. None of his fellow officers said a word to him. My friends were the only ones that said anything, and even then they were hesitant because they weren't sure what these cops would do as they were armed as well. Not even so much as an apology from the officer after they ran our names and let us go (after they realized we knew the law here - they tried a bit of fibbing at first to explain their actions, implying we couldn't open carry). Yet even with all that, when I told the story to my brother-in-law, I got to see the same reflexive benefit of the doubt being shown to the officer, and not to me, the person he actually knows.

OK, I'm game --- even from my very "charitable" viewpoint, he's still in the wrong, and doesn't deserve to be a cop.
          I would think that carries more weight than somebody who is looking for examples of bad cops, and makes the same determination.

I'm glad you agree.
          Last edited by Gondwanaland; 10-03-2021, 02:17 PM.

Comment

And I'm not just like crapping on you and your character. I'm speaking from experience. ....
            I've been on the planet long enough to have figured out that there's two sides to every story. (See my sig)

I'm a lot like the Deputy for whom I just officiated a funeral --- he was in law enforcement for 51 years, and just had a natural "calm it down" nature about him.

He didn't SAY "calm down" (that never works) he just exuded calm.

I get a kick out of somebody (not you) claiming I get "all bent out of shape" or whatever -- I just don't get rattled.

Comment

You stated that "It's worth emphasizing that a policy violation is a not a criminal offense, and the worst that can happen is they discipline you at work (as well as potentially more civil liability)." Clearly, in this case the policy violation should and very well may be (if they don't sweep it under the rug) be a criminal offense.

But no one put forth such a blanket policy. Which is what makes you just like H_A.
              No, your state allows you to shoot someone if you think they drove at you, even if they are no longer a direct threat to you, by your own admission.

I'm a libertarian, sweetie.

No, I'm just someone who despises bad cops and those who try to defend them. And in this case, turns out the dude was essentially a glorified security guard allowed to have a gun by the district, not even a real cop.
              from what I have read from you, you hate cops, period. You seem to think they are all bad, but only some get caught.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

from what I have read from you, you hate cops, period. You seem to think they are all bad, but only some get caught.
                Nope. Many are. Others are complicit by remaining silent. Many are just plain incompetent There are good ones though. My brother in law was one.

Comment

Sometimes I just get so bone-numbingly weary of seeing bad cops.

This 18 year old girl (mother of a 5 month old), was apparently in some sort of fight with someone else, not on school property, but in a parking lot. Somehow this school resource officer decided to pull into the lot and get involved. The fight stopped. No one was armed. The SRO threatened to pepper spray the girl and the other girl she was fighting. The girl, her boyfriend, and his brother, got into their car, and drove off. After they were past the officer, he fired two shots in the back of their moving vehicle, and struck the girl in the back of the head. SHe was taken to the hospital, but is considered brain dead, and is supposed to be taken off of life support today.

This man should not be allowed near a gun, nor pepper spray, nor children or teens, for the rest of his life, and charged with at least negligent homicide. There's simply no excuse that can justify his actions.

Well this piece of garbage has finally been fired:
                  https://www.yahoo.com/news/long-beac...005800742.html

Now time for the full force of the law to be applied to charge him criminally.

Mona died yesterday after being taken off of life support. Her organs were donated to 5 different people for transplants.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/woman-sho...203202173.html
                  Last edited by Gondwanaland; 10-06-2021, 11:27 PM.

Comment

Just an update:
                    https://www.latimes.com/california/s...ion-police-say
                    Shooting of Mona Rodriguez by school safety officer now a homicide investigation, police say

The shooting of Manuela “Mona” Rodriguez, the 18-year-old mother shot by a school safety officer in Long Beach, is being investigated as a homicide after she was taken off life support earlier this week, police said.

Rodriguez was shot by the school safety officer, identified by the Long Beach Unified School District as Eddie F. Gonzalez, while sitting in the passenger seat of a moving car on Sept. 27, authorities said. The shooting left her brain dead, her family said, and she spent more than a week on life support.

She died Tuesday after her heart, liver, lungs and two kidneys were harvested for donation to five people who needed organ transplants, according to a statement from her family’s lawyers.

Her death turned the shooting probe into a homicide investigation, police said. Detectives are working with the Los Angeles County district attorney’s office on the investigation.

Also interesting from this:
                    Investigators are likely combing through his past employment records and reviewing the video footage in detail, he said. The Times confirmed that Gonzalez was briefly employed by the Los Alamitos and Sierra Madre police departments before moving to Long Beach Unified.
                    So that means he actually served as a police officer at actual police departments, meaning he went through the full police training, not just the partial school resource officer training that was mentioned earlier in the thread. So this was a fully trained police officer who worked at two other departments before going of to become a school resource officer at this district, so he doesn't even have that 'excuse'.

Comment

Just an update:
                      https://www.latimes.com/california/s...ion-police-say

Also interesting from this:

So that means he actually served as a police officer at actual police departments, meaning he went through the full police training, not just the partial school resource officer training that was mentioned earlier in the thread. So this was a fully trained police officer who worked at two other departments before going of to become a school resource officer at this district, so he doesn't even have that 'excuse'.
                      That kinda makes me think he failed at those other positions, because a School Resource Officer is just above "mall cop" or "security guard" or "night watchman".

Comment

Excellent news, he's been charged with murder. Let's see if the rest of the justice system manages to do its job.
                        https://abc7.com/long-beach-school-s...eath/11174020/
                        Long Beach school officer charged with murder in shooting of 18-year-old Mona Rodriguez, DA says

Eddie F. Gonzalez was recently terminated from his job following a 5-0 vote by the school board.

A Long Beach school safety officer who fatally shot an unarmed 18-year-old woman last month has been arrested and charged with murder, Los Angeles County District Attorney George Gascón said Wednesday.

The DA made the announcement at an afternoon news conference, where he described the death of Manuela "Mona" Rodriguez as "unfortunate" and "unnecessary."

"We must hold accountable the people we have placed in positions of trust to protect us," Gascón said. "That is especially true for the armed personnel we traditionally have relied upon to guard our children on their way to and from and at school."

Rodriguez was shot during an incident near Millikan High School on Sept. 27. The officer, Eddie F. Gonzalez, was patrolling an area near the school when he noticed an altercation between Rodriguez and a teenage girl, according to authorities.

Rodriguez, the mother of a 5-month-old boy, was shot in the head by Gonzalez while she was a passenger in a moving vehicle in a parking lot near the school, authorities said. A bystander captured the deadly confrontation on video.

The woman died Oct. 5 after being on life support for about a week.

The Long Beach Unified School district confirmed Gonzalez as the officer who shot Rodriguez. He was terminated from his job following a 5-0 vote by the school board.

"The unanimous decision to terminate this officer's employment occurred after our internal review clearly revealed areas where this employee violated District policy, and did not meet our expectations," said the district in a statement shortly after the charge came down. "The 'Use of Force' policy used by our School Safety Office states that officers 1) shall not fire at a fleeing person, 2) shall not fire at a moving vehicle, and 3) shall not fire through a vehicle window unless circumstances clearly warrant the use of a firearm as a final means of defense. Based on our careful review, we found that our internal policy was violated."

The district continued saying, "We thank the Long Beach Police Department and the Los Angeles County District Attorney's Office for their diligent work and swift action on this case. We will continue to monitor the progress of the criminal case and will defer questions on investigatory matters to law enforcement. We acknowledge the impact of this tragedy and we again extend our sincerest condolences to everyone who has been impacted, especially the family, friends and loved ones of the shooting victim, Manuela Rodriguez."

Gonzalez was arrested in Orange on Wednesday and is currently in custody at the Long Beach City Jail.

He is set to be arraigned on Friday.

In the aftermath of the shooting, Rodriguez's friends and family pointed out that she was unarmed at the time of the incident. Before Wednesday's announcement, they had repeatedly called for the school officer to be charged with murder.

Oscar Rodriguez, the victim's brother, spoke out after Gonzalez was charged and said his immediate thought when he heard the news was, "It's about time."

"It shouldn't have taken a whole month," he said.

Rodriguez, who held back tears during a news conference on Wednesday, said he considers the charge "the first step toward justice" and hopes this will help him and his family heal.

"You don't really realize what kind of person someone is until they're gone," said the brother. "My sister was amazing. She's one of the persons that helped me out in my time of troubles when I did have them as a young child. She was there for me. She helped me heal as well, and now that she's gone, I don't know how to heal."

He said he is not sure if he or his family plans on attending any of Gonzalez's court hearings.

"It's tough for me," he said. "I still want to make sure that I'm here."

Comment