Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Why Athletes Need to Lead the Drive to Vaccinate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post

I'm not a big fan of using entertainers as "experts" (remember all the Congressional hearing where actors would be called to testify as expert witnesses based upon the role they had on TV or in the movies?) to tell others how they should behave and act.

Far more often than not they are pretty clueless about the subject they pontificate on. Merely reading their lines that were handed to them. Look at Lebron James hyperventilating over every perceived racial or social injustice all the while licking Xi's boots and scolding those who dare criticize China.

Moreover, I don't want to give them any more influence than they already have and never deserved.
    As you've pointed out yourself, African Americans have a disproportionately high vaccine hesitancy. While I'd prefer they were encouraged by community leaders rather than entertainers — including professional athletes — it makes a difference when they hear the message from folks who look like them, people they identify with.

There is a subtext in this thread. While this forum is not heavily populated by African Americans, it is populated with another group with high vaccine hesitancy. I think it would make a difference if the owners and moderators of TWeb would similarly encourage members with whom they share a religious bond.

I'm asking for your help.

Comment

Originally posted by Juvenal View Post

As you've pointed out yourself, African Americans have a disproportionately high vaccine hesitancy. While I'd prefer they were encouraged by community leaders rather than entertainers — including professional athletes — it makes a difference when they hear the message from folks who look like them, people they identify with.

There is a subtext in this thread. While this forum is not heavily populated by African Americans, it is populated with another group with high vaccine hesitancy. I think it would make a difference if the owners and moderators of TWeb would similarly encourage members with whom they share a religious bond.

I just don't like giving celebutards an even bigger microphone than the one they already have. You might argue that this crisis is too important. While there may be some validity to that argument the problems is that once they are put forth as "authorities" on this matter what is to stop them from being the "authorities" on everything else?

At the start of the pandemic there were many on the left arguing that "Social Justice beats Social Distancing" meaning others will certainly declare that their cause is just as if not more important. And as I noted, in that particular instance you've got Lebron James piping up every time there is something he deems to be against social justice, while simultaneously excoriating those who provide even the most tepid of criticism of the Chicoms who are busy using slave labor to manufacture NBA gear to be sold and line Lebron's pockets even more.

Further, if athletes are put forth to encourage getting vaxxed, what about those speaking out about their reluctance? There are some big names expressing hesitancy with one basketball player being told he will not be permitted a religious exemption.

Finally, Sparko and I have both been vocal supporters of getting vaxxed if your doctor recommends it. Try to force people to do so, not so much.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Finally, Sparko and I have both been vocal supporters of getting vaxxed if your doctor recommends it. Try to force people to do so, not so much.
        I have an appointment with my Dr today where I'll get the verdict -- either a stab or a wave-off. :erm:

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

The fact that you think black people will do as they're told simply because the people doing the telling "look like them" is highly insulting and says quite a lot about you.
          Last edited by Mountain Man; 09-28-2021, 09:33 AM.
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

The fact that you think black people will do as they're told simply because the people doing the telling "look like them" is highly insulting and says quite a lot about you.
            Especially when some of the people who look like you are being called "not black" because they disagree with the current opinions of the rulers?

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

[with intended irony] Sigh...yes like polio, smallpox, or tuberculosis. Just let them get natural immunity [leading to possible disfigurement or disability]- or death.
              Tell you what... I won't compare COVID to the flu if you don't compare it to those far worse and more potent diseases. Deal?
              That's what
              - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
              - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
              - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

I have consistently encouraged vaccination of people who have yet to be exposed to the virus. I have also consistently discouraged anyone who has already recovered from it from being bullied into taking a shot they do not need.
                That's what
                - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

The best idea I've read is Trump and Biden should do a joint PSA pushing the vaccine.
                  "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post

Tell you what... I won't compare COVID to the flu if you don't compare it to those far worse and more potent diseases. Deal?
                    My point being that those diseases were dealt with by vaccination programmes. For smallpox that was a global campaign on the part of doctors, key workers, and scientists.
                    "It ain't necessarily so
                    The things that you're liable
                    To read in the Bible
                    It ain't necessarily so
                    ."

Sportin' Life
                    Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Sparko and I have both been vocal supporters of getting vaxxed if your doctor recommends it.
                      Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                      I have consistently encouraged vaccination of people who have yet to be exposed to the virus.

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
                        The best idea I've read is Trump and Biden should do a joint PSA pushing the vaccine.
                        This is based on the false premise that people who support Trump will do whatever he says just because he said it, which is as insultingly stupid as the idea that black people will do whatever another black person says just because he's black, or that religious people will do whatever another religious person says just because he's religious.

The problem is that endorsements don't change the facts about the vaccine itself, facts which certain parties have been keen to suppress.
                        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

This is based on the false premise that people who support Trump will do whatever he says just because he said it, which is as insultingly stupid as the idea that black people will do whatever another black person says just because he's black, or that religious people will do whatever another religious person says just because he's religious.

The problem is that endorsements don't change the facts about the vaccine itself, facts which certain parties have been keen to suppress.
                          Recently Trump told an audience that they should get vaccinated "like me" and was met with a chorus of boos.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment