Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Murders rose 30 percent in US in 2020: FBI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Murders rose 30 percent in US in 2020: FBI

Murders rose 30 percent in US in 2020: FBI

The number of murders in the United States rose by around 30 percent in 2020 over the previous year, to some 21,500, the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) said Monday.

A number of large US cities had already reported an increase in the number of homicides last year but the FBI figures provided the first picture of the situation nationwide.

It was the steepest rise in the number of murders since the FBI began collecting data in the 1960s, but the total number of such killings still remained below that of the 1980s.

Mon, September 27, 2021, 11:48 AM·1 min read

The number of murders in the United States rose by around 30 percent in 2020 over the previous year, to some 21,500, the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) said Monday.

A number of large US cities had already reported an increase in the number of homicides last year but the FBI figures provided the first picture of the situation nationwide.

It was the steepest rise in the number of murders since the FBI began collecting data in the 1960s, but the total number of such killings still remained below that of the 1980s.

The number of murders last year rose sharply from June, with no part of the United States was spared -- although the southern state of Louisiana continued to have the highest murder rate in the country.

According to the FBI's Uniform Crime Report, 77 percent of the murders in 2020 were committed with a firearm, up from 74 percent in 2019.

Experts have not provided a clear explanation for the rise in the number of murders last year but have pointed to the destabilizing impact of the Covid pandemic and a rise in gun sales.

The FBI said some 16,000 federal, state, county, city, university, college and tribal agencies had submitted data to the crime report.

The FBI has not released homicide statistics so far for 2021, but the numbers from several large cities indicate there has been no let-up in the increased murder rate.

According to World Bank figures, there were 6.5 murders per 100,000 inhabitants in the United States in 2018, compared with 35 in Mexico, 27 in Brazil, eight in Russia and one per 100,000 in France and Germany.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

I wonder what could have caused something like this.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      I wonder what could have caused something like this.
      Seriously, you wouldn't expect the government keeping the entire country on edge for nearly two years to have a negative affect on people's mental health.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment