Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Taliban Hangs Four Bodies In Public Square in Western Afghanistan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    Before long there will be disclaimers on all the WWII movies from the Dirty Dozen to Longest Day to Schindler's List concerning how Germans are depicted and the same with movies like From Here to Eternity to the Bridge on the River Kwai regarding the Japanese.
    Disclaimers would be a best case scenario in our present society. More likely those movies will simply be banned and removed from circulation.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

A) I was never for the war in Afghanistan in the first place
      2) I do not approve of the way the war was prosecuted, and many of the actions done by our military.
      C) I am not "an uncivilized group"
      4) I will loudly and clearly condemn the brutal killing and hanging of people, and I'll do so with clean hands.

The lowlife scumbag terrorists who call themselves "Taliban" are not agents of justice - they are agents of terror.
      Good to know your stance. .....and I agree
      One admirable thing about the "West" is that they admit wrongdoing---even if they do nothing about it....it is still better than ignoring/dismissing wrongdoing.....

U said "I will loudly and clearly condemn the brutal killing and hanging of people, and I'll do so with clean hands."

In the U.S.---around 2,000 to 6,000 racial lynching happened between 1865 to 1950
      https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart...ion-180975120/

No doubt these must be equally condemned as brutal terrorism ....right?

Comment

You approve of the 'new' (revived) "justice system" in Afghanistan?
        No.

I was writing about US citizens in Afghanistan:- thus:-

Yes.
        But they won't kidnap or burgle or steal, or drink alcohol, or take drugs, so they'll be lawful.
        While they are there they just need to follow the laws of that land, in that land.

Is there any part of that which you disagree with?

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          I guess that means you approve of the Islamic practice of taking gay men up to the top of minarets and pushing them off.

I mean, after all, "they just need to follow the laws of that land, in that land."
          Comprehension much?
          I was writing about US citizens, still in Afghanistan.

I wrote:-

Yes.
          But they won't kidnap or burgle or steal, or drink alcohol, or take drugs, so they'll be lawful.
          While they are there they just need to follow the laws of that land, in that land.

....or would you advise something different to foreigners in strange lands?

Comment

Who's watching the watchers?
            After our record in the UK of corruption in Police Constabularies, that's a good question.
            How about where you live?

Comment

We are to take the word of men who would bring dead bodies, and distribute them around the village to "send a message" that "criminals" are not safe?
              If you lived there, in that land, would you take their words about what happens to convicts in that land?
              I certainly would.
              You wouldn't test them while there, would you?

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post

I think God had Moses do the same thing... I don't see anything inherently immoral about it - if they were guilty...
                Yes.
                Much of Islamic Laws are straight out of the Laws of Moses.
                Muhammad was quyite clear about that, I think.

Comment

Without an investigation? And hanging the bodies in the public square?

Remember, this is the "new and improved" Taliban. That's the whole point - there's no difference between these zealots and the ones who were in power 20 years ago.
                  So what do you want to do?
                  Do you want to do what was done 20 years ago?

Iranian Shi'ite Law from Quran and Sunni Law from Quran and the Hadiths, these are the laws of Indonesia, most of the Middle Eastern countries, Pakistan, Afghanistan and other places. Just don't go to these countries unless prepared to follow their laws to the letter. Where UK Nationals are contracted to work in these countries, special isolated encampments are established where foreign nationals stay and can follow their own laws. But outside.......... don't bust the laws!

Comment

Originally posted by siam View Post

One admirable thing about the "West" is that they admit wrongdoing---even if they do nothing about it....it is still better than ignoring/dismissing wrongdoing.....

U said "I will loudly and clearly condemn the brutal killing and hanging of people, and I'll do so with clean hands."

In the U.S.---around 2,000 to 6,000 racial lynching happened between 1865 to 1950

Just for accuracy's sake, your article's headline states that nearly 2000 blacks were lynched but you have it has between 2000 to 6000. Moreover, not every black person lynched was racial motivated. The numbers of whites lynched would tend to suggest that a bunch of folks were lynched because they were deemed to be outlaws. This would likely be truer the further back in time you go.

Note, this is not an apology for lynching nor a statement in support of it -- it should go without saying that it was a horrible, unacceptable practice. This is about accuracy.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by eider View Post

Comprehension much?

Yes.

What about gay foreigners in "strange lands"? Should they refrain from being gay and if not be willing to accept being executed as a result?

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Yes.
                        Much of Islamic Laws are straight out of the Laws of Moses.
                        Muhammad was quyite clear about that, I think.
                        For a short and simple contrast I suggest Five Differences between Sharia and Old Testament Law

From the "Assessment":

Christians who condemn ISIS-style beheadings, sexual exploitation of women, and oppression of religious minorities are not being hypocrites, for the similarities between the Law of Moses and the Law of Muhammad are superficial

Comment

Originally posted by siam View Post

Yes, I said that.

A) I was not yet on the planet
                          2) Absolutely, I condemn such hatred and murder, loudly and clearly

None of that excuses what is happening in Afghanistan today.
                          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

No.

I was writing about US citizens in Afghanistan:- thus:-

Yes.

Is there any part of that which you disagree with?
                            Yes
                            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

If you lived there, in that land, would you take their words about what happens to convicts in that land?
                              I certainly would.
                              You wouldn't test them while there, would you?
                              You seem to have a very weird sense of "logic".

It sounds like you're justifying the brutality and lack of due process by saying, in effect, "well, at least the trains run on time".

Comment

Comprehension much?

Yes.

So only Americans when they're in other countries ought to obey local laws, including refraining from being gay in countries where that is illegal?

Comment