Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Taliban Hangs Four Bodies In Public Square in Western Afghanistan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taliban Hangs Four Bodies In Public Square in Western Afghanistan

Taliban Hangs Four Bodies In Public Square in Western Afghanistan

The Taliban hanged four dead bodies in a public square in western Afghanistan, according to local witnesses, in a sign that the group is returning to some of its harsh punishments of the past.

Several residents of Herat, identified as Mohammad Nazir and Wazir Ahmad, said he saw the Taliban displaying the bodies in the city’s public square. Ahmad told The Associated Press that three of the bodies were then moved to other parts of the city, where they were then displayed for passersby.

“When I stepped forward, I saw they had brought a body in a pickup truck, then they hung it up on a crane,” Nazir told Reuters.

An Associated Press video showed crowds gathering around the crane and peering up at one of the bodies as some men chanted.

“The aim of this action is to alert all criminals that they are not safe,” an alleged Taliban member told the AP in the square. The unnamed member said that the bodies belonged to alleged kidnappers.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

From Newsweek: Taliban Will Cut Off Hands of People Who Steal As Sharia Reinstated Across Afghanistan

In Afghan districts controlled by the Taliban, judges have continued to impose the punishment. In July, Gul Rahim, a Taliban judge, told German newspaper Bild about his latest case, in which a man had broken into a house and stolen a golden ring. As well as ordering the man's hands to be cut off, the judge asked the homeowner whether he wanted the man's leg to be chopped off as well, since he had committed two crimes—breaking into the house and stealing the ring.

FWICT, the kinder gentler Taliban will continue with this sort of thing but might not do it in public as they once did.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      From Newsweek: Taliban Will Cut Off Hands of People Who Steal As Sharia Reinstated Across Afghanistan

In Afghan districts controlled by the Taliban, judges have continued to impose the punishment. In July, Gul Rahim, a Taliban judge, told German newspaper Bild about his latest case, in which a man had broken into a house and stolen a golden ring. As well as ordering the man's hands to be cut off, the judge asked the homeowner whether he wanted the man's leg to be chopped off as well, since he had committed two crimes—breaking into the house and stealing the ring.

FWICT, the kinder gentler Taliban will continue with this sort of thing but might not do it in public as they once did.
      And we still have Americans left behind, wanting to get out.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

ee1df6fe-0d1c-4d4a-8b24-a7ad0fb1ecc4.jpg

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I watched The Man Who Would Be King again recently. It had always been an enjoyable adventure movie for me.

Now it comes with a disclaimer at the beginning regarding how Afghanis (or whoever they are) are depicted. I'd say they are depicted rather kindly.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
            I watched The Man Who Would Be King again recently. It had always been an enjoyable adventure movie for me.

Now it comes with a disclaimer at the beginning regarding how Afghanis (or whoever they are) are depicted. I'd say they are depicted rather kindly.
            Before long there will be disclaimers on all the WWII movies from the Dirty Dozen to Longest Day to Schindler's List concerning how Germans are depicted and the same with movies like From Here to Eternity to the Bridge on the River Kwai regarding the Japanese.

Comment

The pot calling the kettle black?---one uncivilized group commenting on the actions of another uncivilized group?

I do not believe that law needs to be harsh---even in a country torn by war and tribalism/tribal power struggles.
              .......However.........
              The allegedly "civilized" and "law-abiding" United States did not set a very good example---they kidnapped Afghans off the streets and put them in "jail" in bagram and tortured them. Apparently more than 5,000 Afghans were still in there when the U.S. left.
              https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/...rmer-prisoners
              ....and that is not counting the thousands of Afghan civilians they droned to death---including the 10 that were randomly killed by drones by the Biden govt recently. (7 were children)
              https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-p...th-2021-09-17/

The Taliban hangings are barabaric---but some accounts explain the circumstance.....
              https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/...dnappers-herat
              These were kidnapper who were caught trying to kidnap a father and son and died in a gunfight between them and the police. They were then used as displays for deterrent....

"Taliban officials announced that the four were caught taking part in a kidnapping earlier on Saturday and were killed by police, Seddiqi said.
              “The aim of this action is to alert all criminals that they are not safe,” a Taliban commander who did not identify himself told the AP in an on-camera interview conducted in the square.
              Ziaulhaq Jalali, a Taliban-appointed district police chief in Herat, said Taliban members rescued a father and son who had been abducted by four kidnappers after an exchange of gunfire.
              He said a Taliban fighter and a civilian were wounded by the kidnappers, and that the kidnappers were killed in crossfire."

While this does not excuse the barbaric actions of the Taliban, there is also no excuse for the barbarism of the U.S. "occupation"?

Comment

Originally posted by siam View Post
                The pot calling the kettle black?---one uncivilized group commenting on the actions of another uncivilized group?

I do not believe that law needs to be harsh---even in a country torn by war and tribalism/tribal power struggles.
                .......However.........
                The allegedly "civilized" and "law-abiding" United States did not set a very good example---they kidnapped Afghans off the streets and put them in "jail" in bagram and tortured them. Apparently more than 5,000 Afghans were still in there when the U.S. left.
                https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/...rmer-prisoners
                ....and that is not counting the thousands of Afghan civilians they droned to death---including the 10 that were randomly killed by drones by the Biden govt recently. (7 were children)
                https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-p...th-2021-09-17/

The Taliban hangings are barabaric---but some accounts explain the circumstance.....
                These were kidnapper who were caught trying to kidnap a father and son and died in a gunfight between them and the police. They were then used as displays for deterrent....

"Taliban officials announced that the four were caught taking part in a kidnapping earlier on Saturday and were killed by police, Seddiqi said.
                “The aim of this action is to alert all criminals that they are not safe,” a Taliban commander who did not identify himself told the AP in an on-camera interview conducted in the square.
                Ziaulhaq Jalali, a Taliban-appointed district police chief in Herat, said Taliban members rescued a father and son who had been abducted by four kidnappers after an exchange of gunfire.
                He said a Taliban fighter and a civilian were wounded by the kidnappers, and that the kidnappers were killed in crossfire."

While this does not excuse the barbaric actions of the Taliban, there is also no excuse for the barbarism of the U.S. "occupation"?

I can't argue against this logic. That's why I don't let myself get manipulated by the media one way or the other. I can see the pro-war MSM very easily using these stories to whip up the right into another pro-war frenzy to support more military campaigns, especially if the 2024 Rep candidate makes the huge mistake of using this anti-terrorism spiel in their campaign.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

And we still have Americans left behind, wanting to get out.
                  Yes.
                  But they won't kidnap or burgle or steal, or drink alcohol, or take drugs, so they'll be lawful.
                  While they are there they just need to follow the laws of that land, in that land.

Comment

Originally posted by eider View Post

Yes.
                    But they won't kidnap or burgle or steal, or drink alcohol, or take drugs, so they'll be lawful.
                    While they are there they just need to follow the laws of that land, in that land.
                    You approve of the 'new' (revived) "justice system" in Afghanistan?

Comment

A) I was never for the war in Afghanistan in the first place
                      2) I do not approve of the way the war was prosecuted, and many of the actions done by our military.
                      C) I am not "an uncivilized group"
                      4) I will loudly and clearly condemn the brutal killing and hanging of people, and I'll do so with clean hands.

The lowlife scumbag terrorists who call themselves "Taliban" are not agents of justice - they are agents of terror.

Comment

Originally posted by eider View Post

Yes.
                        I guess that means you approve of the Islamic practice of taking gay men up to the top of minarets and pushing them off.

I mean, after all, "they just need to follow the laws of that land, in that land."

Comment

This part is actually quite interesting...

...The Taliban hangings are barabaric---but some accounts explain the circumstance.....

[I]"Taliban officials announced that the four were caught taking part in a kidnapping earlier on Saturday and were killed by police, Seddiqi said.
                          “The aim of this action is to alert all criminals that they are not safe,”
                          A) we should always believe that people who kill others and hang them up in a public square are telling the truth
                          2) anybody that the Taliban claims is a criminal is not safe

Yeah, we need more Taliban!!!!

Who's watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                            “The aim of this action is to alert all criminals that they are not safe,” an alleged Taliban member told the AP in the square. The unnamed member said that the bodies belonged to alleged kidnappers.[/BOX]
                            OK, I'm conflicted...

Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post

OK, I'm conflicted...
                              The thread is about "a sign that the group is returning to some of its harsh punishments of the past".

Hanging bodies in a public square is certainly barbaric. Should we trust the "testimony" of such thugs?

Comment