Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

House Passes Bill To Force Girls To Register For The Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Well, well, lookie here... [bolding mine]

A War between Diversity and Standards Is Coming for the Army

Recently the Army announced that it intends to lower the standards of the Army Combat Fitness Test (ACFT) because “biological differences” between men and women were resulting in an appalling failure rate among women. As reported in Stars and Stripes, this change comes from demands by Democrats like Sens. Kirsten Gillibrand, (D-NY) and Richard Blumenthal, (D-CT) that the Army cease implementation of changes to the gender-neutral ACFT until the test could be evaluated for its fairness to women completing the test successfully.

In the 2021 Defense Authorization Act, which provides funding to the military, the Army was ordered to cease using the test except for evaluation purposes pending an independent study on the test’s effects on women, recruiting, and retention. Those who recall the history of the controversial policy of women serving in combat units may recall that it was a Defense Department study that recommended that women be able to serve in combat units if they could meet the physical standards in place at the time.

A Department of Defense press release in March 2011 stated that “A commission established to study diversity among military leaders is recommending that the Defense Department rescind its policy that prevents women from being assigned to ground combat units below the brigade level.” This commission called the Military Diversity Leadership Commission was established under the Obama Administration and was said to be impartial and bipartisan. One of its key recommendations to then-SecDef Leon Panetta was:

“DoD and the Services should eliminate the ‘Combat Exclusion Policies’ for women, including the removal of barriers and inconsistencies, to create a new level playing field for all qualified service members.”
    Which means that men will simply be less prepared.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

Which means that men will simply be less prepared.
      Same thing happened with Naval Aviation, and it got a female pilot and her RIO killed launching off an aircraft carrier. At first, it was clear that training standards had been lowered, then, of course, they came in and found "other causes" like equipment failure.

So, yes, less preparedness. Like when a Fire Department can no longer mandate that a firefighter be capable of dragging (or carrying) a 200 lb man 100 feet because a 5'2 120lb female can't do it. People die. But "equality" wins!
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Same thing happened with Naval Aviation, and it got a female pilot and her RIO killed launching off an aircraft carrier. At first, it was clear that training standards had been lowered, then, of course, they came in and found "other causes" like equipment failure.
        330px-K_hultgreen_F14.jpg

An Accuracy in Media article quotes CDR Tom Sobiek, commanding officer of Fighter Squadron VF-124, as saying of the four female pilots in his squadron, "The women are going to graduate regardless of how they performed" and "the Navy was in a race with the Air Force to get the first female fighter pilot". It quotes Sobiek denying making any such statement. "That is a flat [a**] lie," he said. "And whoever told you that, if they were under oath, should be taken to task."[11] Several of the instructors, however, testified to the contrary. During a subsequent interview with Mike Wallace of CBS "60 Minutes," Sobiek finally admitted that he had made statements that may have conveyed the impression that the women would not be allowed to fail. He added that some female pilots were advanced in combat aviation ahead of many men who were kept waiting or forced to resign.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

So, yes, less preparedness. Like when a Fire Department can no longer mandate that a firefighter be capable of dragging (or carrying) a 200 lb man 100 feet because a 5'2 120lb female can't do it. People die. But "equality" wins!
          Typically they deny, deny, deny that they're going to lower standards so that more women qualify right up to when they announce that they're "redefining standards" to be more inclusive.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            Typically they deny, deny, deny that they're going to lower standards so that more women qualify right up to when they announce that they're "redefining standards" to be more inclusive.
            And people get dead. It's bad enough when they get killed themselves, but when they take others with them, it multiplies the tragedy.

Comment

Given the progress in women's rights, I'm not surprised this has been proposed. I'm surprised women are going to allow themselves to be drafted for chance to be killed. Maybe because the draft, Given the last draft call was in 1972 and authority to conduct a draft expired in 1973, too many people may believe it will never happen.
              "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

House Passes Bill To Force Girls To Register For The Draft

On Thursday, the House of Representatives passed a $768 billion defense bill, the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA), that included a requirement for women to register for the military draft if the draft were reinstated. 181 Democrats and 135 Republicans voted for the bill.

On Wednesday, Republican members of the House Freedom Caucus had held a press conference denouncing the idea that women would be required to register for the Selective Service System.

Rep. Chip Roy (R-TX) noted, “Everybody here on this stage … we support our men and women in uniform. … I represent about 80,000 veterans; I stand alongside our men and women in uniform. Whatever the pay raises, whatever the material supplies that they need in order to carry out their jobs, but what I do not support is blindly supporting legislation that is critically flawed at its core because of, oh, we’re in the minority. Look, right now, today, if you vote for the NDAA, you are voting to draft our daughters. There is no other position you can take. The current law of the land does not have a requirement that our daughters be drafted, okay? If this NDAA is passed and signed into law, then our daughters will be required to sign up for Selective Service and make themselves available for the draft.”

“Under no circumstances should a civilized country, the United States of America, with the ability to have a volunteer force with the size and the caliber and the strength we have say that we’re going to force women into being drafted into the United States military,” Roy blasted. “I cannot put into words the extent to which that idea angers me and undermines who we are as a nation and I cannot believe that House Republicans are sweeping it aside, sweeping it under the rug, refusing to talk about it while they blindly march forward saying the ‘conference’ supports passage of the NDAA. I’m proud that the Freedom Caucus has taken a position against voting for the NDAA; I would implore my colleagues, my Republican colleagues to join us in opposing the NDAA.”

Still looking into this, but I thought it a topic worthy of discussion.
                All I can say is, welcome to the equality you wanted, feminists.

Comment

330px-K_hultgreen_F14.jpg

An Accuracy in Media article quotes CDR Tom Sobiek, commanding officer of Fighter Squadron VF-124, as saying of the four female pilots in his squadron, "The women are going to graduate regardless of how they performed" and "the Navy was in a race with the Air Force to get the first female fighter pilot". It quotes Sobiek denying making any such statement. "That is a flat [a**] lie," he said. "And whoever told you that, if they were under oath, should be taken to task."[11] Several of the instructors, however, testified to the contrary. During a subsequent interview with Mike Wallace of CBS "60 Minutes," Sobiek finally admitted that he had made statements that may have conveyed the impression that the women would not be allowed to fail. He added that some female pilots were advanced in combat aviation ahead of many men who were kept waiting or forced to resign.
                  Brings to mind this little fiasco:
                  https://www.airforcetimes.com/news/y...ter-two-weeks/
                  Capt. Zoe Kotnik, the first female pilot to head the F-16 Viper demonstration team, was relieved of command Monday.

“Col. Derek O’Malley, 20th Fighter Wing commander, relieved Capt. Zoe Kotnik from command Feb. 11 due to a loss of confidence in her ability to lead and command the Air Combat Command F-16 Viper demonstration team,” said Col. Allen Herritage, director of public affairs at ACC, in a statement. “The Viper demonstration team is working to minimize impacts on scheduled performances and looks forward to inspiring crowds around the country during the upcoming season as soon as a new commander is selected.”

Herritage would not comment further on what led to Kotnik’s removal, citing privacy concerns.

The 20th, which is located at Shaw Air Force Base in South Carolina, said in an email to Air Force Times that Kotnik declined to comment. Capt. Alannah Staver, a spokeswoman for the wing, said that Kotnik is no longer performing with the team, but “will continue to serve in a non-supervisory role in the 20th Fighter Wing."

In a statement on Shaw’s Facebook page, O’Malley alluded to “mistakes” on Kotnik’s part, but expressed hope that she will continue to serve in the Air Force.

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

Brings to mind this little fiasco:
                    https://www.airforcetimes.com/news/y...ter-two-weeks/
                    Yes, sir, those "demonstration teams" have even less tolerances for accuracy and mistakes than the active service -- and they will be called up for combat if the need arises.

Comment

I imagine some people are in favor of women registering for the draft because they feel that the country is less likely to actually institute a draft if that would mean calling up women too.

And some are probably against women registering for the draft for the same reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoic View Post
                        I imagine some people are in favor of women registering for the draft because they feel that the country is less likely to actually institute a draft if that would mean calling up women too.
                        If you changed "in favor of" to "not opposed to", it'd actually make more sense.

Comment

If you changed "in favor of" to "not opposed to", it'd actually make more sense.
                          It makes sense both ways. There could be people going along with the idea because they don't want the draft reinstated, and there could be people who pushed the idea because they don't want the draft reinstated.

I'm sure there are also plenty who think it just makes sense from and "equal rights" POV. It's just hard to tell what people's real motivations are.

Comment

Still looking into this, but I thought it a topic worthy of discussion.
                            You've come a long way baby!

Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by Stoic View Post
                              It makes sense both ways. There could be people going along with the idea because they don't want the draft reinstated, and there could be people who pushed the idea because they don't want the draft reinstated.

I'm sure there are also plenty who think it just makes sense from and "equal rights" POV. It's just hard to tell what people's real motivations are.
                              On that, we agree.

Comment

Well, female gametes are fewer than male gametes, so from a biology standpoint females would be more valuable for survival of the species. But that's not as much of a concern ast it was in the past. Still wouldn't want both parents in a family drafted. And don't agree with draft.
                                If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment