Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

House Passes Bill To Force Girls To Register For The Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• House Passes Bill To Force Girls To Register For The Draft

On Thursday, the House of Representatives passed a $768 billion defense bill, the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA), that included a requirement for women to register for the military draft if the draft were reinstated. 181 Democrats and 135 Republicans voted for the bill.

On Wednesday, Republican members of the House Freedom Caucus had held a press conference denouncing the idea that women would be required to register for the Selective Service System.

Rep. Chip Roy (R-TX) noted, “Everybody here on this stage … we support our men and women in uniform. … I represent about 80,000 veterans; I stand alongside our men and women in uniform. Whatever the pay raises, whatever the material supplies that they need in order to carry out their jobs, but what I do not support is blindly supporting legislation that is critically flawed at its core because of, oh, we’re in the minority. Look, right now, today, if you vote for the NDAA, you are voting to draft our daughters. There is no other position you can take. The current law of the land does not have a requirement that our daughters be drafted, okay? If this NDAA is passed and signed into law, then our daughters will be required to sign up for Selective Service and make themselves available for the draft.”

“Under no circumstances should a civilized country, the United States of America, with the ability to have a volunteer force with the size and the caliber and the strength we have say that we’re going to force women into being drafted into the United States military,” Roy blasted. “I cannot put into words the extent to which that idea angers me and undermines who we are as a nation and I cannot believe that House Republicans are sweeping it aside, sweeping it under the rug, refusing to talk about it while they blindly march forward saying the ‘conference’ supports passage of the NDAA. I’m proud that the Freedom Caucus has taken a position against voting for the NDAA; I would implore my colleagues, my Republican colleagues to join us in opposing the NDAA.”

Still looking into this, but I thought it a topic worthy of discussion.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

On Thursday, the House of Representatives passed a $768 billion defense bill, the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA), that included a requirement for women to register for the military draft if the draft were reinstated. 181 Democrats and 135 Republicans voted for the bill.

The draft should be opposed as a general principle, but I'll allow that certain pressures can make it necessary from time to time. If the draft is in force, however, it seems kind of unreasonable to privilege one sex over the other,
    1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
    ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
    Scripture before Tradition:
    but that won't prevent others from
    taking it upon themselves to deprive you
    of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post

The draft should be opposed as a general principle, but I'll allow that certain pressures can make it necessary from time to time. If the draft is in force, however, it seems kind of unreasonable to privilege one sex over the other,
      Currently, we have an all volunteer military, but with all the woke crap going on, and now the vaccine mandate, there are a lot of our 'volunteers' now serving who may want to reconsider, or not "re-up" when given the opportunity.

It may be necessary to reinstitute the draft just to get the numbers up, but you sure don't want to have to rely on a last-minute draft AFTER there's a major problem. It takes about 18 months just to train a person to be a military asset.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Currently, we have an all volunteer military, but with all the woke crap going on, and now the vaccine mandate, there are a lot of our 'volunteers' now serving who may want to reconsider, or not "re-up" when given the opportunity.

It may be necessary to reinstitute the draft just to get the numbers up, but you sure don't want to have to rely on a last-minute draft AFTER there's a major problem. It takes about 18 months just to train a person to be a military asset.
        I can see that. The concept of a "ready reserve" comes into play quite handily to deal with the risk, and some countries still draft everyone (with reasonable exceptions) to that end. Oddly, I'm less opposed to that than to the various selective systems of drafting.
        1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
        ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

I can see that. The concept of a "ready reserve" comes into play quite handily to deal with the risk, and some countries still draft everyone (with reasonable exceptions) to that end. Oddly, I'm less opposed to that than to the various selective systems of drafting.
          Sure, but the 'ready reserve' relies on them somehow getting into the military in the first place, whether that be volunteer or draft.

Doing some more looking into this, supposedly, a good number of the Republicans favor it. Not sure if it's because they sincerely believe it's best, or they're allowing the Democrats rope to hang themselves because it's "equality" to draft girls as well as boys.

Comment

Sure, but the 'ready reserve' relies on them somehow getting into the military in the first place, whether that be volunteer or draft.

Doing some more looking into this, supposedly, a good number of the Republicans favor it. Not sure if it's because they sincerely believe it's best, or they're allowing the Democrats rope to hang themselves because it's "equality" to draft girls as well as boys.
            From the little I picked up on a quick peruse, it seemed pretty much bi-partisan.
            ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

From the little I picked up on a quick peruse, it seemed pretty much bi-partisan.
              Yeah, depends on which partisan is promoting it. But, I think some of the Republicans are not so wild about the "draft girls" part as taking care or our troops with the finances.

Comment

I don't think they would want me.
                If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                  I don't think they would want me.
                  Pfft. Everyone wants you - I've seen the Interpol poster.
                  ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Poor balance, poor vision, poor hearing... I don't think so.
                    If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

The draft being male-only seems a fairly unpopular proposition right now. The split on what to do about it seems to be more on whether this should be solved by requiring women to register or to abolish the draft entirely.

Comment

On Wednesday, Republican members of the House Freedom Caucus had held a press conference denouncing the idea that women would be required to register for the Selective Service System.

Rep. Chip Roy (R-TX) noted, “Everybody here on this stage … we support our men and women in uniform. … I represent about 80,000 veterans; I stand alongside our men and women in uniform. Whatever the pay raises, whatever the material supplies that they need in order to carry out their jobs, but what I do not support is blindly supporting legislation that is critically flawed at its core because of, oh, we’re in the minority. Look, right now, today, if you vote for the NDAA, you are voting to draft our daughters. There is no other position you can take. The current law of the land does not have a requirement that our daughters be drafted, okay? If this NDAA is passed and signed into law, then our daughters will be required to sign up for Selective Service and make themselves available for the draft.”

“Under no circumstances should a civilized country, the United States of America, with the ability to have a volunteer force with the size and the caliber and the strength we have say that we’re going to force women into being drafted into the United States military,” Roy blasted. “I cannot put into words the extent to which that idea angers me and undermines who we are as a nation and I cannot believe that House Republicans are sweeping it aside, sweeping it under the rug, refusing to talk about it while they blindly march forward saying the ‘conference’ supports passage of the NDAA. I’m proud that the Freedom Caucus has taken a position against voting for the NDAA; I would implore my colleagues, my Republican colleagues to join us in opposing the NDAA.”

From last month so the information about what is going on especially in the House is dated...

Source: Senate Democrats propose requiring women to register for military draft

Senate Armed Services Chair Jack Reed has proposed changing draft registration requirements to include all Americans.

Senate Democrats are proposing a sweeping rewrite of the military draft laws aimed at requiring women to register for the Selective Service System, according to a draft authored by Senate Armed Services Chair Jack Reed and obtained by POLITICO.

The changes to Selective Service could be attached to the National Defense Authorization Act, a defense policy bill that’s one of the few pieces of legislation considered a “must-pass” by Congress. The move would reignite a contentious debate over whether women should be required to register for the draft, a move the House and Senate have each considered in recent years, though the change has never become law.

The language proposed by Reed (D-R.I.) would expand registration for the service to “All Americans,” striking explicit references to males. It’s expected to be considered during committee markup this week; floor action on the bill would wait until later this year. A spokesperson for Reed declined to comment.
                        Currently, law states that U.S. men must register for the service when they turn 18 for potential military conscription, though no one has been drafted into the military in more than four decades. Men who fail to register for the draft can be fined, imprisoned or denied federal jobs.

Calls to expand the draft to include women have grown in recent years, particularly after the Pentagon opened all combat roles to women in 2015. A congressionally-mandated commission that reviewed the draft also backed the change last year.

Multiple lawsuits have taken aim at the current draft law, alleging it's unconstitutional. The Supreme Court in June declined to hear a case brought by the National Coalition for Men challenging the male-only draft.

Whether to include women in the draft became the subject of a marquee defense battle on Capitol Hill in 2016. The Senate voted to make the change as part of its annual defense policy bill with the backing of then-Senate Armed Services Chair John McCain (R-Ariz.), despite opposition mostly raised by conservative Republicans.

Making women eligible for the draft won bipartisan support from the Armed Services Committee at the time. Half the panel's GOP members sided with Democrats against a conservative effort to strip the language, including five who still serve in the Senate — Deb Fischer of Nebraska, Joni Ernst of Iowa, Thom Tillis of North Carolina, Dan Sullivan of Alaska and Lindsey Graham of South Carolina.

The House Armed Services Committee adopted a similar provision, which was later stripped from the bill.

Rather than go forward with the major change, lawmakers compromised by creating an independent commission to study the draft as part of a broader review of how to boost military and public service. In the meantime, the panel’s yearslong study effectively kept further congressional action on women in the draft at bay.

The 11-member panel's final report, issued in March 2020, backed requiring women to register for the draft, among other recommendations.

"This is a necessary and fair step, making it possible to draw on the talent of a unified Nation in a time of national emergency," the panel wrote in its report.

Reed, who has backed making women eligible for the military draft, said during a March hearing on the panel's findings that he hoped the changes would "in large part" be included in the upcoming defense bill.

The draft language is just one of several contentious issues expected to be considered by the Senate Armed Services Committee. In addition, senators are expected to debate a bid by Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand (D-N.Y.) to reform the treatment of military sexual assault and extremism in the military.

Source

© Copyright Original Source

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I don't think limiting the draft to only men has anything to do with privilege but is more a matter of recognizing the fact that men are more physically suited for the stresses of combat than woman. I'm not sure how well a mixed gender draft will work. Would a lot of women wash out of boot camp when they are simply unable to keep up physically with the men?
                          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

I don't think limiting the draft to only men has anything to do with privilege but is more a matter of recognizing the fact that men are more physically suited for the stresses of combat than woman. I'm not sure how well a mixed gender draft will work. Would a lot of women wash out of boot camp when they are simply unable to keep up physically with the men?
                            No, the Military will do what it always does - they'll lower the standards to allow women "a fair chance".

Comment

No, the Military will do what it always does - they'll lower the standards to allow women "a fair chance".
                              Well, well, lookie here... [bolding mine]

A War between Diversity and Standards Is Coming for the Army

Recently the Army announced that it intends to lower the standards of the Army Combat Fitness Test (ACFT) because “biological differences” between men and women were resulting in an appalling failure rate among women. As reported in Stars and Stripes, this change comes from demands by Democrats like Sens. Kirsten Gillibrand, (D-NY) and Richard Blumenthal, (D-CT) that the Army cease implementation of changes to the gender-neutral ACFT until the test could be evaluated for its fairness to women completing the test successfully.

In the 2021 Defense Authorization Act, which provides funding to the military, the Army was ordered to cease using the test except for evaluation purposes pending an independent study on the test’s effects on women, recruiting, and retention. Those who recall the history of the controversial policy of women serving in combat units may recall that it was a Defense Department study that recommended that women be able to serve in combat units if they could meet the physical standards in place at the time.

A Department of Defense press release in March 2011 stated that “A commission established to study diversity among military leaders is recommending that the Defense Department rescind its policy that prevents women from being assigned to ground combat units below the brigade level.” This commission called the Military Diversity Leadership Commission was established under the Obama Administration and was said to be impartial and bipartisan. One of its key recommendations to then-SecDef Leon Panetta was:

“DoD and the Services should eliminate the ‘Combat Exclusion Policies’ for women, including the removal of barriers and inconsistencies, to create a new level playing field for all qualified service members.”

Comment