Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

When a Man (used to be a woman) Comes to Church

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Yeah, mostly the parents of kids at camp and those involved in the youth ministry.

(kidding)

I could understand if he didn't feel comfortable doing the "one on one" directly with the transgendered man.
    I cannot understand why he didn't go to the pastor first.

Yeah, I was at work perusing intelligence reports, ~ a month after 9/11. One said <something bad> was going to happen in <city> on <day>, but that the intelligence was suspect, and not likely valid. I decided to call my mom, my grandparents, and my aunt/uncle and say "I can't say anything specific, and likely nothing is going to happen but can you go out to my great aunt/great uncle's farm on <day> for a visit." Obviously nothing happened, and I forgot about it.

What I didn't know, In condensed version:
    My aunt calls her boss. "I can't come to work tomorrow, there's going to be a terrorist attack"
    Boss calls a police friend who goes "I haven't heard anything about it, let me call the chief"
    Chief goes "I haven't heard anything about it, let me call the mayor"
    Mayor goes "I haven't heard anything, but I know where to get answers", and proceeds to rip the regional head of the FBI for hiding threats to his city.

I find this whole thing out months/weeks later when my grandmother tells me that "The FBI is looking into that phone call you made a while back."
    I ended up going to my chain of command over the whole thing, nearly lost my clearance, went through an Article 15 NJP, and had to brief the whole command about what I'd done.

Many Years later, I was in a technical class, and was giving grief to an instructor buddy of mine, when he goes "yeah, but at least i didn't try to panic a city with a phone call." The co-instructor then goes "Wait, that was YOU!?".

So yeah, my claim to fame was being a knucklehead who nearly panicked an entire city out of being overprotective of my family.
    Last edited by CivilDiscourse; 09-28-2021, 01:38 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

Yeah, I was at work perusing intelligence reports, ~ a month after 9/11. One said <something bad> was going to happen in <city> on <day>, but that the intelligence was suspect, and not likely valid. I decided to call my mom, my grandparents, and my aunt/uncle and say "I can't say anything specific, and likely nothing is going to happen but can you go out to my great aunt/great uncle's farm on <day> for a visit." Obviously nothing happened, and I forgot about it.

My aunt calls her boss. "I can't come to work tomorrow, there's going to be a terrorist attack"
      Boss calls a police friend who goes "I haven't heard anything about it, let me call the chief"
      Mayor goes "I haven't heard anything, but I know where to get answers", and proceeds to rip the regional head of the FBI for hiding threats to his city.

I find this whole thing out months/weeks later when my grandmother tells me that "The FBI is looking into that phone call you made a while back."
      I ended up going to my chain of command over the whole thing, nearly lost my clearance, went through an Article 15 NJP, and had to brief the whole command about what I'd done.

Many Years later, I was in a technical class, and was giving grief to an instructor buddy of mine, when he goes "yeah, but at least i didn't try to panic a city with a phone call." The co-instructor then goes "Wait, that was YOU!?".

So yeah, my claim to fame was being a knucklehead who nearly panicked an entire city out of being overprotective of my family.
      One person should not have so much fun!
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

One person should not have so much fun!
        My mom refused to talk to her sister for quite a long time after that, and was still bitter years later. I think the snowballing was funny. (Though, at the time, I was kind of scared about what was going to happen to me, but I never actually regretted the decision to make that phone call)

Comment

My mom refused to talk to her sister for quite a long time after that, and was still bitter years later. I think the snowballing was funny. (Though, at the time, I was kind of scared about what was going to happen to me, but I never actually regretted the decision to make that phone call)
          I have done some things like that when I was a police officer, and I would get called into the Chief's office to explain myself. He really did like me, but I was a handful.

He would often conclude by looking over his glasses and say, "Officer Cow Poke - there are two kinds of people in this world: "us" and "them". And I'm beginning to think you're "them""
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I have done some things like that when I was a police officer, and I would get called into the Chief's office to explain myself. He really did like me, but I was a handful.

He would often conclude by looking over his glasses and say, "Officer Cow Poke - there are two kinds of people in this world: "us" and "them". And I'm beginning to think you're "them""
            Well you know, it's one of those "hedge your bet's things".
            Now it's an hilarious anecdote. :) I'll drop this as it is a derail, but a funny story I enjoy telling some 20 years later.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post

What should the church do if a same sex married couple wanted to join?
              Not the same thing as having already welcomed and accepted someone. And the behavior of those in question would have a lot to do with it.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Well you know, it's one of those "hedge your bet's things".
                Now it's an hilarious anecdote. :) I'll drop this as it is a derail, but a funny story I enjoy telling some 20 years later.
                Welcomed comic relief.

Comment

Funny!

Comment

Better safe than sorry.

Also, I'm glad nothing really bad happened.

Comment