Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

His Master's Voice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Please allow me to shed a little light on a little known fact of Texas politics.

In Texas, the offices of Lt. Governor and Speaker of the House are actually more powerful and sought after positions than Governor.

I know it sounds weird, but the Governor is in the executive branch, and the others are in the legislative branch. They're the guys who actually get things done. The Governor gets to be the figurehead, so to speak, kinda like the the Queen of England.

The Speaker of the House is, obviously, the head of the House of Representatives, while the Lt. Governor is the head of the Texas Senate.

You can pretty well bet than anything the Governor declares is a result of what the Speaker of the House and Lt. Governor think - especially when they are of the same party.

Here's a pretty good explanation...

Most powerful in Texas? Guess again, governor

Abbott doesn't get his marching orders from Trump - he gets them from Lt. Governor Dan Patrick.
    When George W. was running for president the Democrats made a big deal out of the fact that a Texas governor has a lot less authority and power than most other governors

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post

Seems to me that there might be some justification for H_As complaint. It is pretty difficult to derail a thread without help, after all; albeit, it does happen that the same name is so often at the centre of derails.
      This is about me, isn't it?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post

Seems to me that there might be some justification for H_As complaint. It is pretty difficult to derail a thread without help, after all; albeit, it does happen that the same name is so often at the centre of derails.
        Please note my comments are not a "complaint".

I am merely pointing out rather duplicitous attitudes concerning derailing threads and the indulging in behaviours which come under the heading of "trolling" [i.e. deliberate attempts to offend, direct personal attacks usually in the form of derogatory comments.]

There seems to be a prevailing attitude that such behaviour is acceptable for a specific group to be directed towards other contributors if that individual offers an alternative point of view. Hence we find the intentional misuse of a person's avatar, derogatory remarks about their mental capabilities, and derisory remarks about their personal lives. I seem to recall that a contributor who used the avatar Diogenes left these board because of what s/he perceived to be this double standard in operation.

The attitude appears to be that such behaviour is entirely acceptable if it is employed by certain individuals [often moderators] and by contributors who generally share their outlooks.

Hence my observation that I am merely "holding up the mirror".

I will also repeat the remarks I have made [at least twice] to Cow Poke, namely that if contributors who hold alternative viewpoints are not welcome on this site then make it private.
        Last edited by Hypatia_Alexandria; 09-25-2021, 07:01 AM.
        "It ain't necessarily so
        The things that you're liable
        To read in the Bible
        It ain't necessarily so
        ."

Sportin' Life
        Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

I am merely pointing out rather duplicitous attitudes concerning derailing threads and the indulging in behaviours which come under the heading of "trolling" [i.e. deliberate attempts to offend, direct personal attacks usually in the form of derogatory comments.]

There seems to be a prevailing attitude that such behaviour is acceptable for a specific group to be directed towards other contributors if that individual offers an alternative point of view. Hence we find the intentional misuse of a person's avatar, derogatory remarks about their mental capabilities, and derisory remarks about their personal lives. I seem to recall that a contributor who used the avatar Diogenes left these board because of what s/he perceived to be this double standard in operation.

The attitude appears to be that such behaviour is entirely acceptable if it is employed by certain individuals [often moderators] and by contributors who generally share their outlooks.

I will also repeat the remarks I have made [at least twice] to Cow Poke, namely that if contributors who hold alternative viewpoints are not welcome on this site then make it private.
          This definitely reeks of Arguing about moderation. Might I suggest you take your "pointing out" (i.e. complaining) to the padded room.

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

This definitely reeks of Arguing about moderation. Might I suggest you take your "pointing out" (i.e. complaining) to the padded room.
            I made a reply to tabibito. As far as I am concerned the subject is closed.
            "It ain't necessarily so
            To read in the Bible
            It ain't necessarily so
            ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Thank you for that brief overview of the Texan legislature
              But I would not have you to be ignorant, sistern, concerning the government of Texas, that ye misunderstand, even as others which have no knowledge.

It is remarkable that within hours of Trump demanding a “forensic audit of the 2020 election,” somebody somewhere authorised the secretary of state’s office to announce a “comprehensive forensic audit” of the results from four of the state’s largest counties."
              Not to me. That seems to be something going across the country in red states.

That gives the impression that when Trump [as it were] whistles some individuals [presumably holding positions of authority] in the Texas legislature obediently come to heel.
              I suppose if you have a very prejudicial view, and stand on your head, and close one eye and squint with the other you might could see it that way.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                When George W. was running for president the Democrats made a big deal out of the fact that a Texas governor has a lot less authority and power than most other governors
                This is true. You run for Governor so you can APPEAR to be the top dog.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I just want to assure you that we take absolutely everything you say with the most utmost reverence and respect, and we are here for no other reason than to make you happy and serve at your command.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    This is about me, isn't it?
                    Us, bro. Us.

Comment

Not to me. That seems to be something going across the country in red states.
                      In your opinion what purpose does it serve?

I suppose if you have a very prejudicial view, and stand on your head, and close one eye and squint with the other you might could see it that way.
                      The alacrity with which the state administration responded following Trump's "demand" is [shall we say] "interesting" given the present demographics in Texas.

Obedient dogs answering their master's call strikes me as a far more likely reason for that official decision.
                      "It ain't necessarily so
                      To read in the Bible
                      It ain't necessarily so
                      ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

In your opinion what purpose does it serve?
                        In my opinion, it's a waste of time.

The alacrity with which the state administration responded following Trump's "demand" is [shall we say] "interesting" given the present demographics in Texas.

Obedient dogs answering their master's call strikes me as a far more likely reason for that official decision.
                        Yeah, then there's the guy who has learned to watch the dog, and as he's about to sit, the man quickly commands "SIT" so it looks like he's in control.

Personally, I think is one of the dumbest threads you've started. (since you asked my opinion)

Comment

In my opinion, it's a waste of time.
                          With which I agree but it will have its due impact on some of the more "eccentric" Trump/Republican supporters. As I previously noted this merely fans the flames and keeps repeating the lie.

"It ain't necessarily so
                          To read in the Bible
                          It ain't necessarily so
                          ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

With which I agree but it will have its due impact on some of the more "eccentric" Trump/Republican supporters. As I previously noted this merely fans the flames and keeps repeating the lie.
                            Lies seem to be very important these days in American politics -
                            • "hands up - don't shoot"
                            • "capitol police officer bludgeoned to death with a fire extinguisher"
                            • "we will not leave Afghanistan until all Americans are out"
                            • "border agents on horses whipped and ran over migrants"

Those lies fuel anger. And, in many cases, the people fostering those lies know well and good they are lies.

Comment

Lies seem to be very important these days in American politics -

Those lies fuel anger. And, in many cases, the people fostering those lies know well and good they are lies.
                              I do not think the USA is unique in that regard.

It seems that for many involved in government the eleventh commandment seems to apply.
                              "It ain't necessarily so
                              To read in the Bible
                              It ain't necessarily so
                              ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Back to the topic of this thread....

Given the state of the planet there are, in my opinion, more important things with which to concern ourselves.

Comment