Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

His Master's Voice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    Did that at a fancy seafood restaurant many moons back. People were standing outside with a 30 to 45 minute wait. I walked in, gave them my name, and moments later the group I was with (who were grumbling about how they weren't going to wait and wanted to leave) were being taken to a just made available table. The glares we got from everyone standing in the lobby were rather intense.

Am I big celebrity? Nope.

Did I give the hostess a big tip? Nope.

I just did something that had gone out of style as old fashioned during the late 80s-early 90s. I made a reservation.
    My barber shop has an online "check in" app. I always use that, and I'll get a text when I'm almost up. I'm pretty good at walking into the very busy place, look up at the "who's next" board, and see my name very close to the top.

When they call my name, only minutes after I arrive, and the guys who have been waiting there 30-45 minutes --- yeah, you get "that look".
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      My barber shop has an online "check in" app. I always use that, and I'll get a text when I'm almost up. I'm pretty good at walking into the very busy place, look up at the "who's next" board, and see my name very close to the top.

When they call my name, only minutes after I arrive, and the guys who have been waiting there 30-45 minutes --- yeah, you get "that look".
      I've got a friend who has an app that can check what the wait time is at a certain group of restaurants is to see if he wants to go there or not. I asked him why doesn't he just call and make a reservation earlier on if he's craving something from a certain place? I got a real dumb look. He looked down at his phone and said "$#@%! This app takes reservations too."

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

You sure have gotten testy lately.
        Just holding up the mirror to those whose faults they condemn in others.
        "It ain't necessarily so
        The things that you're liable
        To read in the Bible
        It ain't necessarily so
        ."

Sportin' Life
        Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

Just holding up the mirror to those whose faults they condemn in others.
          But you keep gazing into said mirror thinking you're accusing others, when it's YOU you're seeing.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

You sure have gotten testy lately.
            You can't say that, she'll think it's an assertion you have to provide evidence for, otherwise you'll be "mendacious"

Comment

But you keep gazing into said mirror thinking you're accusing others, when it's YOU you're seeing.
              Looking through various threads several other individuals "derail" those threads, for example, by introducing side issues, making comments to one another about extraneous topics, posting unrelated humorous asides etc.

That moderators. whom one would have thought were supposed to keep such behaviour in check, are often those behaving in such a manner and who then repeatedly accuse another contributor of this behaviour is clear evidence of double standards.

I realise this is a personal sand pit for some individuals but it is highly entertaining to observe such behaviour and then witness the subsequent indignant [and abusive] censuring of others.

"It ain't necessarily so
              To read in the Bible
              It ain't necessarily so
              ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

You can't say that, she'll think it's an assertion you have to provide evidence for, otherwise you'll be "mendacious"
                Shame on you! That's patriarchal and not politically correct. It should be "peopledacious"

Comment

Looking through various threads several other individuals "derail" those threads, for example, by introducing side issues, making comments to one another about extraneous topics, posting unrelated humorous asides etc.
                  That happens in real life, too... it's not at all unusual IRL to think of a side subject during a discussion, and include that as part of the discussion.
                  This medium, by its nature, tends to "compartmentalize" discussions, which is not really natural.

That moderators. whom one would have thought were supposed to keep such behaviour in check, are often those behaving in such a manner and who then repeatedly accuse another contributor of this behaviour is clear evidence of double standards.
                  Well, here's the problem -- not all of us are here to do battle. Some of us just enjoy the company of others. (I'd mention some names, but I'd leave others out who are just as valuable to me)

On a quite serious note - a lot of us Christians are here to fellowship, to poke each other, to laugh, to get to know one another, and sometimes just to vent.

Somebody like you doesn't some to a Christian-run board for fellowship -- so what's the real reason you're here? Let's see if you can give an honest answer.

I realise this is a personal sand pit for some individuals but it is highly entertaining to observe such behaviour and then witness the subsequent indignant [and abusive] censuring of others.
                  Ah, there it is again --- that "censuring" thing. And, yet, here you are, free to say whatever you want within the confines of the decorum of the board.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                    Shame on you! That's patriarchal and not politically correct. It should be "peopledacious"
                    I suppose "mxndacious" would be acceptable.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Ah, there it is again --- that "censuring" thing. And, yet, here you are, free to say whatever you want within the confines of the decorum of the board.
                      For the sarcastically impaired the following is said in jest

sounds like arguing about moderation to me

Comment

I want to know why when Trump says "Jump" Gov. Abbot obediently obeys like a good little poodle.
                        I want to know why you assume that the only reason Abbot [sic] did what he did was because Trump told him to.

Comment

I want to know why when Trump says "Jump" Gov. Abbot obediently obeys like a good little poodle.
                          Please allow me to shed a little light on a little known fact of Texas politics.

In Texas, the offices of Lt. Governor and Speaker of the House are actually more powerful and sought after positions than Governor.

I know it sounds weird, but the Governor is in the executive branch, and the others are in the legislative branch. They're the guys who actually get things done. The Governor gets to be the figurehead, so to speak, kinda like the the Queen of England.

The Speaker of the House is, obviously, the head of the House of Representatives, while the Lt. Governor is the head of the Texas Senate.

You can pretty well bet than anything the Governor declares is a result of what the Speaker of the House and Lt. Governor think - especially when they are of the same party.

Here's a pretty good explanation...

Most powerful in Texas? Guess again, governor

Abbott doesn't get his marching orders from Trump - he gets them from Lt. Governor Dan Patrick.

Comment

That happens in real life, too... it's not at all unusual IRL to think of a side subject during a discussion, and include that as part of the discussion.
                            Then why repeatedly berate and criticise others for behaviours remarkably similar to those in which you [collective] engage? Are you really unable to see the double-standards you are openly acknowledging?

This medium, by its nature, tends to "compartmentalize" discussions, which is not really natural.
                            I agree that if a thread topic if strictly adhered to there is the risk that the opportunity for the exchange of digressive and/or extraneous ideas and comments is severely restricted.

Well, here's the problem -- not all of us are here to do battle. Some of us just enjoy the company of others. (I'd mention some names, but I'd leave others out who are just as valuable to me)
                            I suspect, given the topics on this specific board, that many like to express their views on US society and its politics in general.

On a quite serious note - a lot of us Christians are here to fellowship, to poke each other, to laugh, to get to know one another, and sometimes just to vent.
                            If that is indeed the primary aim of these boards then a private Facebook group would provide precisely the same function and remove the possibility of undesirables [as it were] gate-crashing and spoiling the party.

Somebody like you doesn't some to a Christian-run board for fellowship -- so what's the real reason you're here? Let's see if you can give an honest answer.
                            Do you ever wonder why other non believers e.g. Gondwanaland and CivilDiscourse post here? I am sure there are Libertarian and/or Republican discussion boards that both individuals could [and possibly do] also frequent. As for myself I post here and to other similar sites [in part] for what the Irish call the craic.

You are confusing terms.

I did not use the noun/verb "censor" - the editing or removal of written comments, blocking of speech, deletion of material deemed offensive.

I used the noun/verb "censure" - blame: to criticize or reproach in a harsh or vehement manner: strong or vehement expression of disapproval.

Although as the Merriam-Webster online dictionary notes "In a way, censuring can work as an act of censorship, using humiliation—or the threat of it—to squash out the voice of a member.

"It ain't necessarily so
                            To read in the Bible
                            It ain't necessarily so
                            ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Please allow me to shed a little light on a little known fact of Texas politics.

In Texas, the offices of Lt. Governor and Speaker of the House are actually more powerful and sought after positions than Governor.

I know it sounds weird, but the Governor is in the executive branch, and the others are in the legislative branch. They're the guys who actually get things done. The Governor gets to be the figurehead, so to speak, kinda like the the Queen of England.

The Speaker of the House is, obviously, the head of the House of Representatives, while the Lt. Governor is the head of the Texas Senate.

You can pretty well bet than anything the Governor declares is a result of what the Speaker of the House and Lt. Governor think - especially when they are of the same party.

Here's a pretty good explanation...

Most powerful in Texas? Guess again, governor

Abbott doesn't get his marching orders from Trump - he gets them from Lt. Governor Dan Patrick.
                              Thank you for that brief overview of the Texan legislature

I want to know why you assume that the only reason Abbot [sic] did what he did was because Trump told him to.
                              It is remarkable that within hours of Trump demanding a “forensic audit of the 2020 election,” somebody somewhere authorised the secretary of state’s office to announce a “comprehensive forensic audit” of the results from four of the state’s largest counties."

That gives the impression that when Trump [as it were] whistles some individuals [presumably holding positions of authority] in the Texas legislature obediently come to heel.

"It ain't necessarily so
                              To read in the Bible
                              It ain't necessarily so
                              ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Seems to me that there might be some justification for H_As complaint. It is pretty difficult to derail a thread without help, after all; albeit, it does happen that the same name is so often at the centre of derails.
                                1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                                ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                                Scripture before Tradition:
                                but that won't prevent others from
                                taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                                of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment