Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Woke Stasi...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mossrose View Post

That's your opinion.
    Rainbow.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Rainbow.
      FIFY n/c

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        FIFY n/c
        Do I hear the trotting of unicorns?
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Do I hear the trotting of unicorns?
          Unicorns fart rainbows, or so I heard

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Rainbow.
            Yes, I was thinking of that, too. It's been horribly corrupted. Not the word so much, but the meaning of the symbol.

My granddaughter's school this year celebrated "Pride Day". She knows, at her age, that "pride" is wrong, and she and I had a long discussion about it whether she should attend. Her parents had given her the option of staying home that day, but she chose to go to school. We discussed how, if she went, as long as they didn't force her to participate in the activities she could mind her own business and stay out of things. If they insisted she participate I told her to tell them that it was her choice not to do so and they needed to accept her choice.

She told me that day that she had not been forced to participate, but she was uncomfortable because her friends were all going around saying they were "pride". Both her mom and I told her that they were only doing that because the school was celebrating it, and if it had been Global Warming Day or something else like that the kids would also have been proclaiming they were all for it, even if they don't fully understand it.

I have learned the last few years that her mom and I end up telling her the exact same thing about questions she has about God and I often am the last to talk to her! So I know my daughter has her theology straight and our Lord syncs us in our teaching of my girly!

She said that one of her friends gave her a little rainbow flag, and she didn't know if she should keep it. She liked it because it was pretty, so she was torn. I repeated the story of God's promise in the rainbow and told her that the pride movement had taken God's beautiful symbol and turned it into something ugly. And that I would rather have a beautiful photograph, or even a drawing, of a real rainbow so I could remember why we have rainbows after the rain instead of a flag, as pretty as it might be.

I don't know if she kept the flag or not. But she told me she was going to draw a rainbow so she could remember God's true meaning of the beautiful arch.
            Last edited by mossrose; 05-17-2022, 08:26 PM.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Actually, google is a mathematical term used to describe a number with 100 zeroes after it. I learned that in grade school.

So it isn’t a made up word at all. The search engine Google appropriated it.
              Google is a web search engine, googol is 1 with a hundred zeros following. Yes, it's a made up word (1937), so is graphite (mid 1700s from memory) - before that it was called black lead, hence, lead pencil - (a pencil used to be a writing brush.) Graphite - grafit (the word was coined by a German) - grafein (Classical Greek - "to write")
              Last edited by tabibito; 09-25-2021, 02:07 PM.
              1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
              ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
              Scripture before Tradition:
              but that won't prevent others from
              taking it upon themselves to deprive you
              of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post

Google is a web search engine, googol is 1 with a hundred zeros following. Yes, it's a made up word (1937), so is graphite (mid 1700s from memory) - before that it was called black lead hence, lead pencil - (a pencil used to be a writing brush.) Graphite - grafit (the word was coined by a German) - grafein (Classical Greek - "to write")
                Thank you for the clarification on the spelling. I thought that "google" is how it had been spelled when I learned about it as a child.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Thank you for the clarification on the spelling. I thought that "google" is how it had been spelled when I learned about it as a child.
                  Aint Tabibito handier than a shirt on a pocket?

Comment

I learnt the difference by making the opposite mistake: tried to find Google with Googol - there was a splash page pointing out the difference.
                    1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                    ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                    Scripture before Tradition:
                    but that won't prevent others from
                    taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                    of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post

I learnt the difference by making the opposite mistake: tried to find Google with Googol - there was a splash page pointing out the difference.

Comment

• Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

"googling" however is a verb unrelated to that noun, similar to using master as a pronoun.
                        It was an invented verb - to Google.
                        "It ain't necessarily so
                        The things that you're liable
                        To read in the Bible
                        It ain't necessarily so
                        ."

Sportin' Life
                        Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

With your logic, every word we use was coined/invented.
                          The origins of human language remain obscure but studies have been carried out on specific languages.

Originally posted by mossrose View Post

It does not prove your "superior intelligence" over me.
                          I never suggested that it did. However you do seem to be toting a rather large chip..

Originally posted by mossrose View Post

That's your opinion.
                          As it is yours that the word has been "corrupted".

"It ain't necessarily so
                          To read in the Bible
                          It ain't necessarily so
                          ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

It was an invented verb - to Google.
                            Yes. Now that you are up to speed, you might address what I said earlier about distinguishing between "natural " and "artificial " words.

Comment

Actually, google is a mathematical term used to describe a number with 100 zeroes after it. I learned that in grade school.

So it isn’t a made up word at all. The search engine Google appropriated it. Just like the homosexual movement took the word "gay" and changed it into something complete different from its original usage.
                              Having looked up the term you appear to be mistaken. You have confused Google with Googol.

From good old wiki

A googol is the large number 10100. In decimal notation, it is written as the digit 1 followed by one hundred zeroes
                              "It ain't necessarily so
                              To read in the Bible
                              It ain't necessarily so
                              ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

Having looked up the term you appear to be mistaken. You have confused Google with Googol.

From good old wiki

A googol is the large number 10100. In decimal notation, it is written as the digit 1 followed by one hundred zeroes
                                Googol was the namesake inspiration of Google. Spelling was likely changed to make trademarking easier.

Comment