Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Woke Stasi...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

I have no idea.

I do consider that among some of the younger generation in particular this is possibly a fashion stance. Social media is especially pernicious for so many of its younger users.
    " ar
    Fashion, but, given that many of the "woke" have decided to divide the world into "oppressor" and "oppressed". Since "Oppressors" are "evil", it makes sense people would lay claim to something that can label them as "oppressed" and therefore one of the "good" guys.

Comment

• Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post
      " ar
      Fashion, but, given that many of the "woke" have decided to divide the world into "oppressor" and "oppressed". Since "Oppressors" are "evil", it makes sense people would lay claim to something that can label them as "oppressed" and therefore one of the "good" guys.
      I don't know. Have they?
      "It ain't necessarily so
      The things that you're liable
      To read in the Bible
      It ain't necessarily so
      ."

Sportin' Life
      Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

You consider neologisms such as Google/Googling, spam, omnishambles, Tebowing [something of particular relevance to the USA] crowdsourcing, or cyberspace to be in existence "because some nut jobs made them up"?

How interesting.
        No, I consider the “pronouns” you are fond of to be in existence because some nut jobs made them up.

The other examples are not being rammed down our throats in order to make sure we are all aligned with a viewpoint that we don’t agree with.

And I do know what Tim Tebow stands for, so you don’t need to les-splain that to me, honeybun.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

• Originally posted by mossrose View Post

No, I consider the “pronouns” you are fond of to be in existence because some nut jobs made them up.

The other examples are not being rammed down our throats in order to make sure we are all aligned with a viewpoint that we don’t agree with.

And I do know what Tim Tebow stands for, so you don’t need to les-splain that to me, honeybun.
          Yup. Nobody is being threatened with anything if they don't use them. But if you don't use someone's preferred pronoun, even ones concocted, you can get in trouble and in some places even arrested.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Those are also existing because some nut jobs made them up.

Please try to keep up.
            Remember that nutty judge in California who made a bid deal declaring only those 'proper' pronouns would be used in her court, then she immediately messed up and started using the correct pronouns? The bailiff had to remind her. :smile;
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Excuse me but it rogue06 6 who cited those examples as "gibberish" and I tended to agree with him.

I recommend [to use a phrase] that you look before you leap.
              "It ain't necessarily so
              To read in the Bible
              It ain't necessarily so
              ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Excuse me but it rogue06 6 who cited those examples as "gibberish" and I tended to agree with him.

I recommend [to use a phrase] that you look before you leap.
                Please stop your irritating use of that smiley. I recommend that if you agree those words are gibberish then you need to stop defending their being shoved down the throats of those who don’t agree with their usage, as your posting here implies.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  Yup. Nobody is being threatened with anything if they don't use them. But if you don't use someone's preferred pronoun, even ones concocted, you can get in trouble and in some places even arrested.
                  Like in my country?

Comment

You consider neologisms such as Google/Googling, spam, omnishambles, Tebowing [something of particular relevance to the USA] crowdsourcing, or cyberspace to be in existence "because some nut jobs made them up"?

How interesting.
                    The difference is distinguishing between artificial and natural creation, not always easy.

For example "Googling" is a natural word that came up to describe the use of a search engine (usually google). In fact, google DOESN'T want people to use that term, because it risks genericizing their trademark.

"Latinx" is artificial, has not come about naturally, and people are attempting to "force it" into the lexicon, and it is being resisted by many.
                    Last edited by CivilDiscourse; 09-25-2021, 10:37 AM.

Comment

For example "Googling" is a natural word that came up to describe the use of a search engine (usually google). In fact, google DOESN'T want people to use that term, because it risks genericizing their trademark....
                      That could be an interesting side discussion.
                      When I was a kid, Frigidaire worked hard to genericize their name, so that when you wanted to buy a new refrigerator, you didn't go shopping for a "refrigerator", but specifically for a "Frigidaire".
                      On the other hand, Coke became so generic that, in many regions, ANY carbonated soda drink is "a coke".

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Like in my country?
                        Britain and Canuckistan were two I had specifically in mind.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

The difference is distinguishing between artificial and natural creation, not always easy.

For example "Googling" is a natural word that came up to describe the use of a search engine (usually google). In fact, google DOESN'T want people to use that term, because it risks genericizing their trademark.

"Latinx" is artificial, has not come about naturally, and people are attempting to "force it" into the lexicon, and it is being resisted by many.
                          Actually, google is a mathematical term used to describe a number with 100 zeroes after it. I learned that in grade school.

So it isn’t a made up word at all. The search engine Google appropriated it. Just like the homosexual movement took the word "gay" and changed it into something complete different from its original usage.

Comment

Please stop your irritating use of that smiley. I recommend that if you agree those words are gibberish then you need to stop defending their being shoved down the throats of those who don’t agree with their usage, as your posting here implies.
                            As I have not defended the use of such terms your hostility is baseless.
                            "It ain't necessarily so
                            To read in the Bible
                            It ain't necessarily so
                            ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

All neologisms are artificial.

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post
                              For example "Googling" is a natural word that came up to describe the use of a search engine (usually google).
                              No one, as far as I am aware, has yet created the neologism Binging or Duck Duck going

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post
                              I have never heard that term - sorry.
                              "It ain't necessarily so
                              To read in the Bible
                              It ain't necessarily so
                              ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

I agree. However, the word Master is not a pronoun. It is a noun.
                                If an individual wishes to be known by a particular pronoun, or other word or phrase in place of a pronoun,...

Comment