Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Gymnasts Testify - FBI under fire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by seanD View Post

Operation mockingbird allowed them to keep this stuff under warps and mislead the public into thinking they were good guys, until the internet was born.
    We got a peek behind the curtain during Mueller's Russian collusion witch hunt, but the narrative, at least at first, was "It's just the guys at the top who are corrupt. The 'rank and file' agents are pure, honest patriots," which seemed plausible until we learned that Mueller had 40 agents working for him full time for two years even when they knew the entire investigation was based on a lie. And yet not a single person in the entire organization stepped forward to blow the whistle.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

I remember her being smaller in the movie.
      Although this was with what Kong was holding, that is one of the biggest problems I have with movies featuring giant monsters -- how their size is constantly changing. Recently I watched a low budget flick where the monster was standing next to a covered bridge and was head and shoulders above it, but as he crossed it he comfortably fit inside it without even having to hunch over, and then a little later he was taller than a two-storied house. Basically he constantly shifted between 10 and at least 30' tall.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

We got a peek behind the curtain during Mueller's Russian collusion witch hunt, but the narrative, at least at first, was "It's just the guys at the top who are corrupt. The 'rank and file' agents are pure, honest patriots," which seemed plausible until we learned that Mueller had 40 agents working for him full time for two years even when they knew the entire investigation was based on a lie. And yet not a single person in the entire organization stepped forward to blow the whistle.
        Yeah, I think the rank and file with a hint of moral character eventually get weeded out. The ones that make it to the top are the ones that go along with the evil and corruption. That's one of the reasons I never bought into this Qanon "white hat" nonsense. Though I will admit I was fooled by the Barr/Durham charade. That was a good one.

Comment

Yeah, I think the rank and file with a hint of moral character eventually get weeded out. The ones that make it to the top are the ones that go along with the evil and corruption. That's one of the reasons I never bought into this Qanon "white hat" nonsense. Though I will admit I was fooled by the Barr/Durham charade. That was a good one.
          Speaking of Durham, he just indicted a low level flunky who was working for Hillary and was supposedly the guy who started the whole Russian collusion hoax. And I have a feeling that will be the end of it. Essentially another Scooter Libby.

Comment

Speaking of Durham, he just indicted a low level flunky who was working for Hillary and was supposedly the guy who started the whole Russian collusion hoax. And I have a feeling that will be the end of it. Essentially another Scooter Libby.
            Libby was actually innocent and got set up with a perjury trap that even some on the left said was a miscarriage of justice.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

AFTER the election, of course.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

More testament to how corrupt the FBI really is: they secured a warrant claiming that certain safety deposit boxes were being use to stash illegal goods. The warrant was granted on the condition that only contents that were known to be illegal could be seized. So the FBI proceeded to indiscriminately confiscate over $80 million in cash, jewelry, and rare coins claiming that they smelled vaguely of marijuana and that the burden was on the owners to prove the goods were legal. They are now fighting it out in court for violating the Fourth Amendment.

https://theconservativetreehouse.com...egal-property/

Comment

More testament to how corrupt the FBI really is: they secured a warrant claiming that certain safety deposit boxes were being use to stash illegal goods. The warrant was granted on the condition that only contents that were known to be illegal could be seized. So the FBI proceeded to indiscriminately confiscate over $80 million in cash, jewelry, and rare coins claiming that they smelled vaguely of marijuana and that the burden was on the owners to prove the goods were legal. They are now fighting it out in court for violating the Fourth Amendment.

https://theconservativetreehouse.com...egal-property/
                  Well the cash is suspicious. Why keep cash in a SD box rather than in a bank account? But the rest (jewelry and rare coins, etc.) sounds like overreach. But even with the cash, the burden should be on the FBI to give evidence that it was proceeds from an illegal business.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Well the cash is suspicious. Why keep cash in a SD box rather than in a bank account? But the rest (jewelry and rare coins, etc.) sounds like overreach. But even with the cash, the burden should be on the FBI to give evidence that it was proceeds from an illegal business.
                    I don't keep my cash in a bank. There are multiple reasons not to keep cash in a bank. But if there were no good reasons, not keeping cash in a bank is still not illegal.
                    Last edited by seanD; 09-22-2021, 12:52 PM.

Comment

I don't keep my cash in a bank. There are multiple reasons not to keep cash in a bank. But if there were no good reasons, not keeping cash in a bank is still not illegal.
                      Never said it was illegal, just suspicious. Why keep it in a safety deposit box? It makes it harder to spend, not earning interest. If you need an emergency fund, it would make more sense to keep it in a safe at your own home rather than far off in a sd box. And most sd boxes are in banks. I can understand if it was rare bills and coins. But regular cash? Most times people keeping cash in sd boxes is to hide illegal funds until they can launder the money. But like you said, there might be a legitimate reason for doing so too. It should still be the FBI's burden to prove it was from some illegal activity, not just assume it and confiscate it.

Comment

Never said it was illegal, just suspicious. Why keep it in a safety deposit box? It makes it harder to spend, not earning interest. If you need an emergency fund, it would make more sense to keep it in a safe at your own home rather than far off in a sd box. And most sd boxes are in banks. I can understand if it was rare bills and coins. But regular cash? Most times people keeping cash in sd boxes is to hide illegal funds until they can launder the money. But like you said, there might be a legitimate reason for doing so too. It should still be the FBI's burden to prove it was from some illegal activity, not just assume it and confiscate it.
                        You're not going to earn interest in a regular savings account because the federal reserve has kept fed funds rate near zero for nearly a decade, so you'll likely lose funds with the fees since you'll be earning very little to no interest, unless you have in a special CD account or something. Some folks don't bother with that. There are a number of reasons not to keep cash in a bank account -- i.e. folks that want emergency cash available, folks that expect the funds rate to eventually go to negative, folks that don't like or trust banks (because they know their corrupt history), folks that don't want the hassle with fees, etc. "Most folks keeping it sd boxes is to hide illegal funds" is opinion and not evidence that justifies a law enforcement agency confiscating the cash like you said at the end of your post. I would imagine most criminals would be keeping illegal cash under their mattresses or in their own safes and wouldn't even bother with SDs for this very reason.
                        Last edited by seanD; 09-22-2021, 02:17 PM.

Comment

I can think of any number of legitimate reasons for keeping cash in a safe deposit box. There's nothing inherently suspicious about it.
                          Last edited by Mountain Man; 09-22-2021, 02:27 PM.

Comment

You're not going to earn interest in a regular savings account because the federal reserve has kept fed funds rate near zero for nearly a decade, so you'll likely lose funds with the fees since you'll be earning very little to no interest, unless you have in a special CD account or something. Some folks don't bother with that. There are a number of reasons not to keep cash in a bank account -- i.e. folks that want emergency cash available, folks that expect the funds rate to eventually go to negative, folks that don't like or trust banks (because they know their corrupt history), folks that don't want the hassle with fees, etc. "Most folks keeping it sd boxes is to hide illegal funds" is opinion and not evidence that justifies a law enforcement agency confiscating the cash like you said at the end of your post. I would imagine most criminals would be keeping illegal cash under their mattresses or in their own safes and wouldn't even bother with SDs for this very reason.
                            You are correct about the interest thing, but if someone wants to make it earn more money they will invest it or at least buy a CD, bonds, etc. Just sitting in an SD box has no advantages really. Especially since most are in banks to begin with. So if you don't trust banks, why would you trust their SD boxes? The reason criminals like to use SD boxes are: Harder for the police to get to in a raid. Easier to give access to others and use the SD box as a "drop" - they do it for money laundering purposes, or to pay for services. If you just don't trust banks, invest in a home safe and keep your money there. It is easily available and if you get a good safe, your cash will be safe too. But if the banks fail, and the economy collapses, then the money in your SD box or mattress won't be worth anything anyway. Better to keep your money in gold and silver.

Comment

I can think of any number of legitimate reasons for keeping cash in a safe deposit box. .
                              Such as?

Comment

You are correct about the interest thing, but if someone wants to make it earn more money they will invest it or at least buy a CD, bonds, etc. Just sitting in an SD box has no advantages really. Especially since most are in banks to begin with. So if you don't trust banks, why would you trust their SD boxes? The reason criminals like to use SD boxes are: Harder for the police to get to in a raid. Easier to give access to others and use the SD box as a "drop" - they do it for money laundering purposes, or to pay for services. If you just don't trust banks, invest in a home safe and keep your money there. It is easily available and if you get a good safe, your cash will be safe too. But if the banks fail, and the economy collapses, then the money in your SD box or mattress won't be worth anything anyway. Better to keep your money in gold and silver.
                                I think you have it in reverse. Someone who isn't a criminal would be more likely to keep cash in an SD for the reasons I explained previously, because they wouldn't expect a criminal organization like the feds to confiscate it or have the legal grounds to do it, whereas an actual criminal wouldn't think that way.

Comment