Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Gen Milley: Traitor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post
    Which still doesn't give him the authority to do this, if the report is accurate.
    He didn't have the authority to talk to his Chinese counterpart?

I got the impression that that wasn't so unusual.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoic View Post

wow

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Seriously? The only time adversary military counterparts should be communicating is at the direction of the president, to sign a surrender, or to subvert authority. Only one applies here.

Comment

What? To tell a potential enemy that we are about to attack?
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post

Yeah, doesn't that fall under going behind the President's back and "giving aid and comfort to the enemy?" or in other words, Treason?

Article III, Section 3, Clause 1: Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying War against them, or in adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort.

Comment

Talking is one thing. Promising to give a heads up in advance of any military actions we might take is a whole nudder thing.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
                Seriously? The only time adversary military counterparts should be communicating is at the direction of the president, to sign a surrender, or to subvert authority. Only one applies here.
                Is that written down somewhere? Or is it just understood?

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post

As I understand it, he didn't tell a potential enemy that we are about to attack.

Comment

As I understand it, he didn't tell a potential enemy that we are about to attack.
                    No, he only promised to do so if we ever were to attack.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

And put into context with his other alleged actions with NATO, Pelosi and Schumer, IIRC, the FBI and CIA, not to mention trying to insert himself into the chain-of-command involving nuclear weapons (telling nuclear control officers that they were to check with him first, no matter what orders they received from the president), there is absolutely no reason to doubt that he would have done exactly that.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

It's kinda like a baseball coach telling the other team's coach which pitches to expect.
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

It's kinda like a baseball coach telling the other team's coach which pitches to expect.
                          Or the State Department giving the Taliban a list of name of American Citizens and friendly Afghans.

Comment

Or the State Department giving the Taliban a list of name of American Citizens and friendly Afghans.
                            Well, yeah, but in my baseball analogy, nobody dies a horrible death.

Comment

Is that written down somewhere? Or is it just understood?
                              It is written down in the book of common sense. The last people that should be communicating with each other between adversaries are active generals. That is where all the biggest secrets are kept; knowledge of latest weapons, troop deployment, the names of spies, contingency plans of engagement, codes, just everything you don't want your enemies to know. The only time I can think of where active US generals met with adversaries was at the end of a war, like Eisenhower in Europe meeting with Russian counterparts (although they were "allies" at the time) or MacArthur in Tokyo.

Maybe I'm the one confused, but the idea of adversarial generals communicating outside of executive orders seems other-worldly to me.

Comment

I can imagine a US president and Xi meeting and they might bring along their generals to make sure they don't misspeak about something, like how many naval vessels are in a specific sea (something like that).

What I can't imagine is generals from both sides getting together on their own for ... anything.

Comment