Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

I am surprised...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

You would be wrong. And if you recall I commented that Rohrer should go gracefully. However, I also consider part of the latest post by Juvenal to be very pertinent.
    The discriminating reader should have no trouble discovering which part of that post you found pertinent. Moreover, there’s a decent argument to be made for directing them to either read it again in context, or to actually read it instead of scrolling past. That argument is less pertinent for those who haven’t chosen to be part of the conversation.

Please consider using descriptive thread titles.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      Maybe you just know some dour Lutherans
      I’m trying to imagine one of Bob’s parishioners gracing me with a Lutheran fart joke in front of Bob. While I would find that funny, it’s a fact that the typical parishioner is more constrained when speaking to the pastor’s brother, with or without the pastor in the immediate vicinity.

LCMS is relatively dour, though, in the sense that they’re very serious about their theology.

Here’s a Bob joke:
      Jewish moms make their kids feel guilty.
      Catholic moms make their kids feel guilty, and they give them a reason.
      Lutheran moms make their kids feel guilty for the right reason.

If you try really hard, I bet you could manage a polite laugh. I did. It was a struggle, but I managed it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Juvenal View Post

I’m trying to imagine one of Bob’s parishioners gracing me with a Lutheran fart joke in front of Bob. While I would find that funny, it’s a fact that the typical parishioner is more constrained when speaking to the pastor’s brother, with or without the pastor in the immediate vicinity.

LCMS is relatively dour, though, in the sense that they’re very serious about their theology.

Here’s a Bob joke:
        Jewish moms make their kids feel guilty.
        Catholic moms make their kids feel guilty, and they give them a reason.
        Lutheran moms make their kids feel guilty for the right reason.

If you try really hard, I bet you could manage a polite laugh. I did. It was a struggle, but I managed it.
        Yeah, sounds like a fun bunch.

And I tried. Really I did. But all I could do was manage a slight eye roll.

The one who told the joke is a cousin who has the reputation for being "the saint" -- a reputation she loathes. Both her and her husband always do the right thing and are so sweet and nice that even family members tend to be on their best behavior around them. And that's part of what annoys her so much. She reminded me one day that she will cuss on occasion, both her and her husband like to drink regularly, and they are far from perfect. That she is not a goody-goody.

Yes, she is. And its one of the things I respect her for (she's my favorite).

But like nearly everyone on that side of the family[1] she has a strong sense of humor.

1. which for whatever reason completely skipped over my mother

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          Yeah, sounds like a fun bunch.

And I tried. Really I did. But all I could do was manage a slight eye roll.

The one who told the joke is a cousin who has the reputation for being "the saint" -- a reputation she loathes. Both her and her husband always do the right thing and are so sweet and nice that even family members tend to be on their best behavior around them. And that's part of what annoys her so much. She reminded me one day that she will cuss on occasion, both her and her husband like to drink regularly, and they are far from perfect. That she is not a goody-goody.
          Ono was a niecelet, one of John’s kids, and spent so much time riding pillion with me she was all but part of the bike. Never interfered with my riding, and could hurl herself onto the back as I was getting set to take off without messing with my balance. So she ended up tagging along to a lot of places. There was this one weekend up at Cuneo’s winter quarters — and yes, it really was that scandalous — when I got her up riding one of the baby elephants …

After she met Bob and Nancy and the nephews the first time, I asked what she thought of them. She called them the Waltons. I shared that with Nancy, who was inordinately pleased, pun intended.

Yes, she is. And its one of the things I respect her for (she's my favorite).
          Bob and Nancy are my favorite people. I’d probably like her too.

But like nearly everyone on that side of the family[1] she has a strong sense of humor.

1. which for whatever reason completely skipped over my mother
          Are all these folks Jawjun? Because I have to keep on reminding myself that a lot of these Jawjun Christians think drinking is a sin. That’s not an issue with Lutherans, or Catholics, like most of my Miami students, so it’s easy to forget that “drinking regularly” might be seen as tarnishing a reputation. Though I can understand how some folks think it could lead to dancing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Juvenal View Post

Ono was a niecelet, one of John’s kids, and spent so much time riding pillion with me she was all but part of the bike. Never interfered with my riding, and could hurl herself onto the back as I was getting set to take off without messing with my balance. So she ended up tagging along to a lot of places. There was this one weekend up at Cuneo’s winter quarters — and yes, it really was that scandalous — when I got her up riding one of the baby elephants …

After she met Bob and Nancy and the nephews the first time, I asked what she thought of them. She called them the Waltons. I shared that with Nancy, who was inordinately pleased, pun intended.

Bob and Nancy are my favorite people. I’d probably like her too.

Are all these folks Jawjun? Because I have to keep on reminding myself that a lot of these Jawjun Christians think drinking is a sin. That’s not an issue with Lutherans, or Catholics, like most of my Miami students, so it’s easy to forget that “drinking regularly” might be seen as tarnishing a reputation. Though I can understand how some folks think it could lead to dancing.
            No. Western Great Lakes and Dakotas mostly, but the true clown prince, the jester of the family is my oldest cousin who lives in Colorado. Ohh, the stories I could tell about him.

He's my second favorite.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Dozens of Georgia churches split from United Methodist Church over LGBTQ issues

The departing Georgia churches mark the latest in a growing divide among Protestants over LGBTQ issues

Seventy churches in Georgia split from the United Methodist Church (UMC) last week largely over LGBTQ issues, marking the latest in a growing divide within the third-largest Protestant denomination in the United States.

The North Georgia Conference voted last Thursday to allow the churches, most of which were in rural areas, to disaffiliate from the UMC. The process for disaffiliation was laid out by the 2019 General Conference of The United Methodist Church through 2023, according to the North Georgia United Methodist Church Conference website.

In 2021, the Board of Trustees adopted a process and, along with District Superintendents, walked alongside the churches that requested to disaffiliate. The conference established ratification by the Annual Conference as the final step in that process.

During a special session in 2019, the UMC adopted a disaffiliation agreement allowing churches to leave the denomination through the end of 2023 "for reasons of conscience regarding a change in the requirements and provisions of the Book of Discipline related to the practice of homosexuality or the ordination or marriage of self-avowed practicing homosexuals as resolved and adopted by the 2019 General Conference, or the actions or inactions of its annual conference related to these issues which follow."

The 70 churches that chose to disaffiliate represent 9% of the congregations in the Conference and 3% of the membership, according to the denomination. The date of disaffiliation will be effective June 30, 2022.

After the vote, Bishop Sue Haupert-Johnson and the members of the Annual Conference offered prayer for the departing churches, some of which will remain independent and others of which will dissolve.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Wow. So your argument is that "homosexuality" wasn't condemned because English wasn't invented yet (or German I guess) when they wrote the bible. Great job, H_A. you win the Internet!
                While I would agree with HA that homosexuality per se isn't condemned in the Bible, I certainly would opt to defend that on the anachronistic application of the modern orientation-act distinction and not merely because the word hadn't been invented.
                P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

• Originally posted by Diogenes View Post

While I would agree with HA that homosexuality per se isn't condemned in the Bible
                  As I noted in my reply last night [my time] to rogue06 on another thread; in the Hebrew texts male [not female] same sex relationships are condemned by the priestly author in Leviticus. However, whether that author is reflecting the entirety of ancient Israelite culture or his own particular viewpoint is entirely unknown.

Sparko misused the word as ancient authors could not have condemned homosexuality simply because that word did not exist. Same sex relationships were known in the classical world and not generally frowned upon depending [certainly in Roman society] upon who did what to whom. Paul's views on sexuality immorality and prostitution are another issue.

"It ain't necessarily so
                  The things that you're liable
                  To read in the Bible
                  It ain't necessarily so
                  ."

Sportin' Life
                  Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

As I noted in my reply last night [my time] to rogue06 on another thread; in the Hebrew texts male [not female] same sex relationships are condemned by the priestly author in Leviticus. However, whether that author is reflecting the entirety of ancient Israelite culture or his own particular viewpoint is entirely unknown.

Pure cope.

Sparko misused the word as ancient authors could not have condemned homosexuality simply because that word did not exist.
                    The act surely existed thousands of years ago for it to be condemned.

Same sex relationships were known in the classical world and not generally frowned upon depending [certainly in Roman society] upon who did what to whom. Paul's views on sexuality immorality and prostitution are another issue.
                    The Greeks didn't frown on social prostitution unlike that of Harvey Weinstein or the "casting couch" though in regard to adult men and teenage boys.
                    P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

• Originally posted by Diogenes View Post

Pure cope.
                      Writes someone who appears entirely uninformed concerning the Documentary Hypothesis.

Or perhaps you think there was a book signing event at the Jerusalem branch of Simon & Schuster.

Originally posted by Diogenes View Post
                      The act surely existed thousands of years ago for it to be condemned.
                      The act existed but condemnation was evidently not general.

Originally posted by Diogenes View Post

The Greeks didn't frown on social prostitution unlike that of Harvey Weinstein or the "casting couch" though in regard to adult men and teenage boys.
                      I recommend you do some serious reading on that subject within the Greek city states at various periods in history; unless you intentionally want to make yourself appear a fool

"It ain't necessarily so
                      To read in the Bible
                      It ain't necessarily so
                      ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

From a person whose native tongue uses gendered nouns, who could be rightly expected to know how gendered nouns are used, that statement is quite strange.

Sparko misused the word as ancient authors could not have condemned homosexuality simply because that word did not exist. Same sex relationships were known in the classical world and not generally frowned upon depending [certainly in Roman society] upon who did what to whom. Paul's views on sexuality immorality and prostitution are another issue.
                        Homosexuality is a modern English word - why would an author be expected to use a word from a foreign language that didn't even exist at the time of writing? The practice did exist in the author's time, and he would have used the term for the practice that translates in modern English as homosexual, just as the early modern English term for homosexuality is translated to homosexuality in contemporary English.
                        Last edited by tabibito; 04-21-2023, 05:29 AM.
                        1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                        ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                        Scripture before Tradition:
                        but that won't prevent others from
                        taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                        of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Writes someone who appears entirely uninformed concerning the Documentary Hypothesis.

Or perhaps you think there was a book signing event at the Jerusalem branch of Simon & Schuster.
                          I'm of the Documentary Hypothesis. What I find hilarious is that your dismissal is essentially an infomercial disclaimer. You're very much like the great and powerful Wizard of Oz/

The act existed but condemnation was evidently not general.
                          Because the survival of writing from the time period is voluminous.

I recommend you do some serious reading on that subject within the Greek city states at various periods in history; unless you intentionally want to make yourself appear a fool
                          Exchanging being a sex toy for a social education and groomed for social entrance is prostitution whether the Greeks considered it as such or not merely because it was not purely an economic transaction.
                          P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post

From a person whose native tongue uses gendered nouns, who could be rightly expected to know how gendered nouns are used, that statement is quite strange.
                            Do tell us all why you are shoe-horning the modern German language into your reply. What precise relevance do you consider it to have with regard to societal mores from cultures thousands of years ago?

Originally posted by tabibito View Post

Homosexuality is a modern English word - why would an author be expected to use a word from a foreign language that didn't even exist at the time of writing? The practice did exist in the author's time, and he would have used the term that translates in modern English as homosexual, just as the early modern English term for homosexuality is translated to homosexuality in contemporary English.
                            Read Krafft-Ebing.
                            "It ain't necessarily so
                            To read in the Bible
                            It ain't necessarily so
                            ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post

Homosexuality is a modern English word - why would an author be expected to use a word from a foreign language that didn't even exist at the time of writing?
                              For the sarcastically impaired the following is said in jest

We all know the King's English existed since the dawn of Man.

The practice did exist in the author's time, and he would have used the term for the practice that translates in modern English as homosexual, just as the early modern English term for homosexuality is translated to homosexuality in contemporary English.
                              For the sarcastically impaired the following is said in jest

Are you suggesting an atheist (or even some liberal Christian) is being incredulous in regard to the Bible and trying to reinterpret the Bible to avoid the condemnation of homosexual acts, how dare you.

P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

Do tell us all why you are shoe-horning the modern German language into your reply. What precise relevance do you consider it to have with regard to societal mores from cultures thousands of years ago?
                                It was a comment about languages with nouns having grammatical gender, your own native tongue being merely one of many. Semitic languages and Koine Greek likewise are languages having grammatical gender. The fact plays to misunderstandings that can be made by English readers but shouldn't be possible to German readers.

Read Krafft-Ebing.
                                What? Psychopathia Sexualis? All of it?
                                1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                                ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                                Scripture before Tradition:
                                but that won't prevent others from
                                taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                                of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment