Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

I am surprised...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
    Some it appears have never read [?heard of?] Spencer, Cervantes, or de Troyes.
    Some have

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    First time I heard of it was when I came across the term knight-errant as a kid. That's basically some knight out adventuring.

And just because others didn't mention it doesn't mean you should assume they're unfamiliar with it.

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
    Although anyone familiar with Python's Holy Grail movie would surely have some idea.
    I think I asked you before but don't believe I got a reply, but have you ever seen the movie Yellowbeard?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I am awaiting yours for your admission that you are duplicitous and engage in behaviour [i;e trolling] of which you accuse me.
      Already told you -- I engaged in some trolling for a few posts to mock what a you are with nearly every post you write -- including this ing post.

The fact that you hide behind your own ing just shows what a worthless little you are.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by mossrose View Post
        Deeper, deeper, down the rathole we go............
        At least we can no longer smell the stench.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

At least we can no longer smell the stench.
          Speak for yourself. I have a very sensitive nose.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

• Originally posted by mossrose View Post

Speak for yourself. I have a very sensitive nose.

It just takes an awful petty little person to hide behind an assumed slight as a reason not to do the honorable thing.
            Can't say I'm surprised even a wee bit, however.

Comment

I am awaiting yours for your admission that you are duplicitous and engage in behaviour [i;e trolling] of which you accuse me.
              This is like a fall-down drunken lush looking at a gentleman having a glass of wine with dinner and claiming "you and I are eggzaaaaaakalackly the shame".

Comment

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post

Every Hebrew made the agreement below? There were plenty of Hebrews confessing Jesus to be the Christ - how could they not be Jews, if John was using "Jew" with today's concept of "Jew"?

22 His parents said this because they were afraid of the Jews; for the Jews had already agreed that if anyone confessed Him to be Christ, he was to be put out of the synagogue
                Look, this is simple.
                How many times are the words 'the Jews' written as subjects of aggression against Jesus in the synoptic gospels? Not once.

How many time are the words 'the Jews' written as subjects of aggression against Jesus in John's gospel? Over ten times.

Comment

Kinda like the German people become the schemers, the plotters, the haters following Hitler's campaigns?
                  No. Wrong. Where did you get that from?
                  The schemers, the plotters, the haters following Hitler's campaigns...... were the Nazis.

I've already shown how much Apostle John was determined to make 'the Jews' the enemy of Christians, but I'll repeat this for you:-

How many times are the words 'the Jews' written as subjects of aggression against Jesus in the synoptic gospels? Not once.

How many times are the words 'the Jews' written as subjects of aggression against Jesus in John's gospel? Over ten times.

Comment

You have a wealth of bare assertion to back that claim and nothing more.
                    And what do you have?

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
                    Do you want me to read the Bible the same way that people (who have the express intention of discrediting everything in the Bible) want me to? Not going to happen.
                    Paul wrote a couple of millennia ago in Koine Greek, and you insist on imposing modern English definitions on what he wrote, with the most unfavourable nuances that you can devise.
                    I suggested you go back and read Paul's texts in the original language and consider his writings within the socio-historical context in which they were composed. Not simply accept your [much later] interpretations.

Nor have you offered any cogent response to the questions I posed.
                    "It ain't necessarily so
                    The things that you're liable
                    To read in the Bible
                    It ain't necessarily so
                    ."

Sportin' Life
                    Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      And just because others didn't mention it doesn't mean you should assume they're unfamiliar with it.
                      It struck me as odd that [well to my mind] a reasonably well known phrase [knight errant] was not fully recognised by one or two individuals. Fairy tales often include such figures, as do some movies even if, in the latter, the character is not necessarily clad in armour and riding a charger.

I think I asked you before but don't believe I got a reply, but have you ever seen the movie Yellowbeard?
                      You have not previously asked me and no I have not seen it.
                      "It ain't necessarily so
                      To read in the Bible
                      It ain't necessarily so
                      ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Well - after it was filtered through Martin Luther's writings about Jews, anyway.
                        The history of Christian anti-Semitism is little more complicated and of much longer duration, although Luther was rather popular during the Nazi period.

Christian anti-Semitism has existed for almost two millennia. It has been transmitted through sermons, theological writings, laws, art, and literature. Christian anti-Semitism has concentrated on the enduring crimes and sins of the Jews. Their stiff necked persistence in their perfidia, their greed, their treason, their murderous rage towards Christ and Christians.

Christian mass murder of Jews across Europe and the Middle East was hardly uncommon in previous centuries and those murderers, like Chrysostom and [later] Luther, regarded these perfidious and intransigent people as fit only for slaughter.

The Nazis felt the same way and chose the same "solution" to the "Jewish problem".

"It ain't necessarily so
                        To read in the Bible
                        It ain't necessarily so
                        ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

And what do you have?

I suggested you go back and read Paul's texts in the original language and consider his writings within the socio-historical context in which they were composed. Not simply accept your [much later] interpretations.
                          You "suggested" nothing of the sort. I am not going to abandon the practice of examining claims made by commentators against source texts for veracity.

Nor have you offered any cogent response to the questions I posed.
                          I waited and see if I would get the expected response to these issues before addressing those. Given that the expected response did eventuate, I'll ignore the rest.
                          Last edited by tabibito; 09-19-2021, 05:08 AM.
                          1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                          ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                          Scripture before Tradition:
                          but that won't prevent others from
                          taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                          of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

It struck me as odd that [well to my mind] a reasonably well known phrase [knight errant] was not fully recognised by one or two individuals. Fairy tales often include such figures, as do some movies even if, in the latter, the character is not necessarily clad in armour and riding a charger.

You have not previously asked me and no I have not seen it.
                            By now you should know better

So the moment you realized that was what you said (the fact you thought I was parodying you demonstrates that it still hadn't sunk in until CP broke it down for you), it magically transformed into a cynical comment.

Well, maybe it was "cynical," but without a doubt it was another half-baked ill-conceived comment. You've been on a roll lately.

As an aside, considering your fondness for Python, are you familiar with the film Yellowbeard?

While not Python it does have cameos by most of them. As wiki puts it...

Yellowbeard is a 1983 British comedy film directed by Mel Damski and written by Graham Chapman, Peter Cook, Bernard McKenna, and David Sherlock, with an ensemble cast featuring Chapman, Cook, Peter Boyle, Cheech & Chong, Martin Hewitt, Michael Hordern, Eric Idle, Madeline Kahn, James Mason, and John Cleese, and the final cinematic appearances of Marty Feldman, Spike Milligan, and Peter Bull.

It is no In Search of the Holy Grail or even Life of Brian (Cleese and Idle panned the movie), but has enough moments to make it worth a look.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I think I'm seeing a pattern here....

She disappears for periods of times where she furiously Googles stuff to type (or copy/paste), comes back, unloads it in machinegun fire manner, then has to retreat to Google some more.
                              That reads as a rather peevish comment. Finding relevant passages in a specific and relevant text and typing them out does take time.

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Again, at first, I thought she was really smart ---- then she comes up with really dumb stuff like Paul not being a Jew because he didn't use one very specific word,
                              You really like to twist what is written, don't you? That is another troll tactic.

Paul may have been a Jew but the textual fact remains that he never uses the Greek word Ἰουδαῖος to describe himself. That is all there is to it. Why he never did so, is a matter of conjecture, but the fact remains that in his extant writings he never uses that specific world in reference to himself.

or the Texas Hearbeat Bill being about "Bounty Hunters" and suing taxi drivers, baby sitters and secretaries
                              Let us wait and see what happens.

all on the word of an abortionist in NYC who MAYBE has connections with colleagues in Texas who know the law better than a guy who lives here and regularly consults with Texas lawmakers...
                              You do remind me of the barber's cat.

Despite your apparent connection with the legal profession not one of your replies to my thread detailed in any way whatsoever how that law will impact on women in Texas. You showed not one iota of either understanding or interpreting that law. You merely C&Pd the text and indulged in your usual schoolyard tactics. As I suggested on that thread why not open a thread where you can offer us all your expert judicial opinion on that Bill and its legal and social implications.
                              "It ain't necessarily so
                              To read in the Bible
                              It ain't necessarily so
                              ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

The history of Christian anti-Semitism is little more complicated and of much longer duration, although Luther was rather popular during the Nazi period.

Christian anti-Semitism has existed for almost two millennia. It has been transmitted through sermons, theological writings, laws, art, and literature. Christian anti-Semitism has concentrated on the enduring crimes and sins of the Jews. Their stiff necked persistence in their perfidia, their greed, their treason, their murderous rage towards Christ and Christians.
                                European anti-Semitism predates any significant Christian presence in the region. But I was addressing the more immediate influences on Nazi Germany's Antisemitic attitudes, to the extent that the Church actually did have an influence. The concept of the Arianist master race doesn't arise with any of the Christian churches.
                                1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                                ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                                Scripture before Tradition:
                                but that won't prevent others from
                                taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                                of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment