Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

I am surprised...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

But it don't say "homosexuality", Bucko!!!! In English OR German.
    Rats! I guess H_A wins another round!

Comment

Because a German didn't coin that specific term until the 1860s. I mean, what's the point? Is she arguing for a return to such terms as "sodomites" instead, or what?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Leviticus 18:22
        You shall not lie with a male as with a woman; it is an abomination.
        Thank you- the word there word clumsily translated into "abomination", is same for people that eat shellfish.
        Leviticus 20:13 If there is a man who sleeps with a male as those who sleep with a woman, both of them have committed a detestable act; they must be put to death. They have brought their own deaths upon themselves.

Seems pretty clear cut to me. It's a sexual act that is condemned. Meaning it is immoral.
        See above. The actual Hebrew word is simply about ritual uncleanness, and is used to describe wearing blended cloth (are all your shirt 100 percent cotton?), eating shellfish, bacon, etc..

But hey, since you want to insist on it, who was the last gay man you stoned?

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post

There is a "the church". There also have been heretics trying to claim either to be part of, a restoration of, or THE church itself. There are several core doctrines that unite us and separate them. Has been that way for 2000 years.
          Yes, and you're one of those "heretics" in the eyes of other churches, and their doctrines are the core doctrines. Sadly you're too far into it to see how hilarious this is.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            Because a German didn't coin that specific term until the 1860s. I mean, what's the point? Is she arguing for a return to such terms as "sodomites" instead, or what?
            bingo
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Reminds me of the fellow some time ago who claimed he was an expert on the Bible because he had read it twice. In English.
              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

The fact that the same exact word for homosexuality as for those other things (clothes, food, etc.). As Hypatia noted (correctly). Homosexuality was part of that ritual purity code.
                Just because the word "abomination" is used in both cases doesn't mean that "abomination" means that the law is only in regards to "ritual purity" - it just means that both things are "abominations"

Comment

Thank you- the word there word clumsily translated into "abomination", is same for people that eat shellfish.

See above. The actual Hebrew word is simply about ritual uncleanness, and is used to describe wearing blended cloth (are all your shirt 100 percent cotton?), eating shellfish, bacon, etc..

But hey, since you want to insist on it, who was the last gay man you stoned?
                  no. Just because the word abomination is used in both cases doesn't mean that both are "ritual purity" - that's one of the dumbest arguments I have ever heard. Abomination means something that causes disgust. God can be disgusted by something immoral or impure. And a sexual act is a moral act. It falls under sexual morality/immorality.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                    Reminds me of the fellow some time ago who claimed he was an expert on the Bible because he had read it twice. In English.
                    On another board someone claimed "If you can't wind an argument in english, going to Hebrew is a sign of defeat."

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Yes, and you're one of those "heretics" in the eyes of other churches, and their doctrines are the core doctrines. Sadly you're too far into it to see how hilarious this is.
                      Sorry, but history is on my side. You can make general claims like this until the cows come home, but they will never hold any real water.
                      That's what
                      - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                      - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                      - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post

no. Just because the word abomination is used in both cases doesn't mean that both are "ritual purity" - that's one of the dumbest arguments I have ever heard. Abomination means something that causes disgust. God can be disgusted by something immoral or impure. And a sexual act is a moral act. It falls under sexual morality/immorality.
                        ったく
                        He ignored my post 165 already, and blithely ploughs on with the same argument.

Originally posted by H_A
                        The same word תּוֹעֵבַה -abomination is used for eating unclean food or for what the Egyptians think of shepherds!.

It is also used for such activities as adultery (Ezekiel 22:11) and idolatry (Deut 7:26; Deut 13:13) including blood sacrifices to Moloch (Jer 32:35).. Or a wicked person's sacrificial offering (Proverbs 21:27) - all of which also violate the provisions of the New Covenant. In short, תּוֹעֵבַה can be used for just about any activity that offends God.
                        Of course "sacrificial offerings" are not the same in the New Covenant as they were in the Old.

Hopefully you will get the message through.
                        1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                        ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                        Scripture before Tradition:
                        but that won't prevent others from
                        taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                        of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                          On another board someone claimed "If you can't wind an argument in english, going to Hebrew is a sign of defeat."
                          That's right up there with "weak point - yell louder".
                          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post

Sorry, but history is on my side. You can make general claims like this until the cows come home, but they will never hold any real water.
                            Technically, he is correct. Everyone is someone's heretic.
                            1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                            ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                            Scripture before Tradition:
                            but that won't prevent others from
                            taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                            of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post

Technically, he is correct. Everyone is someone's heretic.
                              Yup. That's been the story since the earliest Gnostics claimed to be the TRUE CHURCHTM and that the Disciples were heretics. A claim existing doesn't make it true.
                              That's what
                              - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                              - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                              - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post
                                ったく
                                Does that actually translate into "Geez"?

Comment