Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

I am surprised...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am surprised...

that no one has mentioned this.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...sgender-bishop

The Evangelical Lutheran Church of America has installed its first openly transgender bishop in a service held in San Francisco’s Grace Cathedral on Saturday.

The Rev Megan Rohrer will lead one of the church’s 65 synods, overseeing nearly 200 congregations in northern California and northern Nevada.

“My call is ... to be up to the same messy, loving things I was up to before,” Rohrer told worshippers. “But mostly, if you’ll let me, and I think you will, my hope is to love you and beyond that, to love what you love.”

Rohrer was elected in May to serve a six-year term as bishop of the Sierra Pacific Synod after its current bishop announced his retirement.

“I step into this role because a diverse community of Lutherans in northern California and Nevada prayerfully and thoughtfully voted to do a historic thing,” Rohrer said in a statement. “My installation will celebrate all that is possible when we trust God to shepherd us forward.”

Rohrer, who uses the pronoun “they,” previously served as pastor of Grace Lutheran Church in San Francisco and a chaplain coordinator for the city’s police department, and also helped minister to the city’s homeless and LGTBQ+ communities. They studied religion at Augustana University in their hometown of Sioux Falls, South Dakota, before moving to California to pursue master’s and doctoral degrees at the Pacific School of Religion in Berkeley.

Rohrer became one of seven LGBTQ+ pastors accepted by the progressive Evangelical Lutheran church in 2010 after it allowed ordination of pastors in same-sex relationships. Rohrer is married and has two children.

The church is one of the largest Christian denominations in the United States, with about 3.3 million members.

I wonder what the laity will make of it. Is 3.3 million members one of the largest Christian denominations in the US? Or is that a reference to churches and not individuals?

"It ain't necessarily so
    The things that you're liable
    To read in the Bible
    It ain't necessarily so
    ."

Sportin' Life
    Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Why should we be surprised that a denomination that had already started their Slouching Towards Gomorrah has taken yet another step?
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Woe to those who call evil good
      and good evil,
      who put darkness for light
      and light for darkness,
      who put bitter for sweet
      and sweet for bitter!

Isaiah 5:20
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        Why should we be surprised that a denomination that had already started their Slouching Towards Gomorrah has taken yet another step?
        Oh of course I keep forgetting that some Baptists do not consider themselves to be Protestants.

What do you consider yourself to be? What denominational group would you class your beliefs under?
        "It ain't necessarily so
        The things that you're liable
        To read in the Bible
        It ain't necessarily so
        ."

Sportin' Life
        Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
          that no one has mentioned this.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...sgender-bishop

The Evangelical Lutheran Church of America has installed its first openly transgender bishop in a service held in San Francisco’s Grace Cathedral on Saturday.

The Rev Megan Rohrer will lead one of the church’s 65 synods, overseeing nearly 200 congregations in northern California and northern Nevada.

“My call is ... to be up to the same messy, loving things I was up to before,” Rohrer told worshippers. “But mostly, if you’ll let me, and I think you will, my hope is to love you and beyond that, to love what you love.”

Rohrer was elected in May to serve a six-year term as bishop of the Sierra Pacific Synod after its current bishop announced his retirement.

“I step into this role because a diverse community of Lutherans in northern California and Nevada prayerfully and thoughtfully voted to do a historic thing,” Rohrer said in a statement. “My installation will celebrate all that is possible when we trust God to shepherd us forward.”

Rohrer, who uses the pronoun “they,” previously served as pastor of Grace Lutheran Church in San Francisco and a chaplain coordinator for the city’s police department, and also helped minister to the city’s homeless and LGTBQ+ communities. They studied religion at Augustana University in their hometown of Sioux Falls, South Dakota, before moving to California to pursue master’s and doctoral degrees at the Pacific School of Religion in Berkeley.

Rohrer became one of seven LGBTQ+ pastors accepted by the progressive Evangelical Lutheran church in 2010 after it allowed ordination of pastors in same-sex relationships. Rohrer is married and has two children.

The church is one of the largest Christian denominations in the United States, with about 3.3 million members.

I wonder what the laity will make of it. <a href="https://www.blueletterbible.org/search/preSearch.cfm?Criteria=Is+3.3&amp;t=NIV" target="BLB_NW" rel="NIV.Is.3.3" class="BLBST_a" style="white-space: nowrap;">Is 3.3</a> million members one of the largest Christian denominations in the US? Or is that a reference to churches and not individuals?
          Ah, ELCA, no surprise there, seems like the natural endpoint of the direction they were headed back when I was. Christian. Now if you'd said WELS or LCMS, I'd have been surprised.

Comment

Oh of course I keep forgetting that some Baptists do not consider themselves to be Protestants.

What do you consider yourself to be? What denominational group would you class your beliefs under?
            Christian.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post
              Ah, ELCA, no surprise there, seems like the natural endpoint of the direction they were headed back when I was. Christian. Now if you'd said WELS or LCMS, I'd have been surprised.
              I sometimes refer to the group that split from the ELCA and formed their own church, and we shared our building with them for about 4 years while they built their own building.

Some wonderful friendships were formed from that.

Comment

This response does not actually address what he said. He never said anything about Baptists not considering themselves to be protestants.

Comment

A transgender or LGBTQ person holding any office in any denomination is of course an abomination and goes against the clear written word of the Bible.

Comment

What do you consider yourself to be?
                    Christian
                    What denominational group would you class your beliefs under?
                    Baptist

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

This response does not actually address what he said. He never said anything about Baptists not considering themselves to be protestants.
                      That's what she does. That's all she does.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

This is not surprising. Conservative Lutherans split from the ECLA over 10 years ago over them allowing openly gay pastors. They have just further gone down that wide road to hell.

Comment

Originally posted by Presbyterian Lay Committee
                          since the launch of ELCA its course has been permanently downward. The ELCA’s own statistics show that after 5,288,048 Lutherans came together in 1987 to form the denomination, only 4,059,785 remained in ELCA in 2011, ... In all, this is a “staggering loss of over 1.2 million members, or 23% of their membership,” Rev. Kevin Vogts of the conservative Lutheran lay organization Steadfast Lutherans notes. The number of ELCA congregations has also dropped from 11,138 at the 1987 founding to 9,638 in 2011, a loss of about 13%. “As they ‘celebrate’ this year the 25th anniversary of the ELCA,” Vogts observes, “the fact is that during that time they have lost more members and congregations than make up many entire denominations!”
                          And by H_A's post, another million congregants have gone missing in action since 2011.

Some might find it strange that disproportionately high losses occur from the progressive end of the Christian spectrum.
                          1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                          ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                          Scripture before Tradition:
                          but that won't prevent others from
                          taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                          of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post

And by H_A's post, another million congregants have gone missing in action since 2011.

Some might find it strange that disproportionately high losses occur from the progressive end of the Christian spectrum.
                            Yup, that's been the pattern for quite some time. Those who stick to the Word tend to maintain or even grow.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Yup, that's been the pattern for quite some time. Those who stick to the Word tend to maintain or even grow.
                              Yeah, funny that.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment