Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

I am surprised...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Learn to use the quote function.
    Are you going to retract your remark?
    "It ain't necessarily so
    The things that you're liable
    To read in the Bible
    It ain't necessarily so
    ."

Sportin' Life
    Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Good thing you typed "rise" in quote marks, bubba, else'n she'd whoop up on you for ignorance of solar and planetary functionalicalism!
      I actually started doing it because YOU once razzed me for it.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

The rise of Hitler and the events in Germany and surrounding European countries that eventually would lead to WW2, a global event that extended to the Pacific region including both Japan and Australasia [the latter as part of the British Empire] would, I assume, be [at the very least] "touched on" in school history curricula.
        World War II yes. Events leading to World War II, from memory, were touched on in upper high-school, but at that level, history is an elective.
        Pearl Harbour barely rates a mention - though it is mentioned. Darwin, Sydney are given a fair amount of attention.
        1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
        ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
        Scripture before Tradition:
        but that won't prevent others from
        taking it upon themselves to deprive you
        of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

I wonder what percentage of Americans think Africa is a country? I've seen that mistake made here, and it's quite easy to do.
          The conversation was the result of a mutual friend asking him if he could check in on her sister when he returned to Ethiopia to see family -- and tell them he was in seminary (he came to the U.S. to go to school to study economics and financing). Her sister was somewhere in west Africa. She apparently thought they were in the same neighborhood or something.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post

World War II yes. Events leading to World War II, from memory, were touched on in upper high-school, but at that level, history is an elective.
            I remember going through school, (80's-90's) History was roughly Columbus through ~1900. The books would have WW1/2/spaceflight etc in them, but class never reached them.

Comment

You mean when I said...

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              Learn to use the quote function.
              Heck no! Learn to use the quote function!
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                I actually started doing it because YOU once razzed me for it.
                ME?
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

How quickly you have forgotten that I readily acknowledged my error with regard to the Reichstagsbrandverordnung and the Ermächtigungsgesetz.
                  Have you admitted your apparent misunderstanding of the word "Testy?"

Comment

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post

Pearl Harbour barely rates a mention - though it is mentioned. Darwin, Sydney are given a fair amount of attention.
                    This reminds me of a Texas School Book dispute where a bunch of historical revisionism was noted....

Some of it was simply omission and inclusion of other facts...

I remember one where, prior to 1972, a particular History text book had about 2 and a half pages of information about George Washington.
                    The next year, that was reduced to one paragraph.

In the prior version, there was a statement - "George Washington was known to have a terrible temper, but he kept it under masterful control".
                    The subsequent version - "George Washington had a terrible temper".

And 2 and 1/2 pages were given to cover Marylin Monroe.

Comment

It is not "generally accepted they got power in 1933" it is a documented historical fact, there is no element of doubt about it.
                      Sounding a little testy there.

Comment

As you are so uninformed about relatively important history from the last century I am not holding out much hope for the veracity of your comments and insights pertaining to events two thousand years earlier, as evinced by this further howler.

H_A: In the mid first century CE Judaism was a recognised and legal religion, the Jews had certain privileges, and Jewish communities were well established across the eastern Empire.

tabibito : A privilege that extended to Christians until they were declared persona non grata by the Jewish establishment.

That is arrant nonsense. Christianity did not attain complete toleration until Constantine's Edict of Milan in 313 CE by which time the Jewish Temple and its cult had long since ceased to exist.
                        Says the historian who didn't know about anti-semitism well before Christianity.

Comment

As you are so uninformed about relatively important history from the last century I am not holding out much hope for the veracity of your comments and insights pertaining to events two thousand years earlier, as evinced by this further howler.
                          As you showed yourself so uninformed about very recent history wrt the Texas abortion law, we should therefore not hold out much hope for the veracity of your comments and insights pertaining to anything else.

Comment

While the topic is retraction - where is your retraction of your claim that " in 313 CE by which time the Jewish Temple and its cult had long since ceased to exist."

1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                            ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post
                              As you showed yourself so uninformed about very recent history wrt the Texas abortion law, we should therefore not hold out much hope for the veracity of your comments and insights pertaining to anything else.
                              She just took the word of a NYC babykiller and ASSUMED that MAYBE the NYC babykiller had consulted with her "colleagues" in Texas who were more informed about the law than a guy who lives in Texas and meets regularly with persons in the Office of Attorney General of Texas.

(you're being a very bad boy)

Comment

ME?
                                When she was two - and being an only child - I challenged my daughter for a misdeed. She tried to blame it on the cat.
                                ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment