Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

"My body, my choice."

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unvaccinated people were 11 times more likely to die of covid-19, CDC report finds
    People who were not fully vaccinated this spring and summer were more than 10 times more likely to be hospitalized, and 11 times more likely to die of covid-19, than those who were fully vaccinated, according to one of three major studies published Friday by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention that highlight the continued efficacy of all three vaccines amid the spread of the highly contagious delta variant.

Choose life. Please.

Comment

The CDC has played so fast and loose with the truth over the past year or so that they're really not a credible organization any more (which begs the question that they ever were). Meanwhile, in Israel nearly 60% of those hospitalized with a serious case of the China flu are fully vaccinated.
      Last edited by Mountain Man; 09-13-2021, 06:03 AM.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        The CDC has played so fast and loose with the truth over the past year or so that they're really not a credible organization any more (which begs the question that they ever were). Meanwhile, in Israel nearly 60% of those hospitalized with a serious case of the China flu are fully vaccinated.
        Yeah, I’ve been trying to figure out how everybody seems to be ignoring what’s happening in Israel. All those vaccinated people, all those cases and hospitalizations. The media certainly isn’t paying attention to THOSE stats.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

The lesson from Israel is almost certainly that the vaccine's effectiveness wanes much sooner than people expected, since Israel was the earliest country in the world to vaccinate a high percentage of its population. That's bad news for everybody else. As of right now, very few vaccinated people are going to the hospital in the US; I don't expect that to be the case in a few months. Israel is rolling out booster shots but I simply don't see a high percentage of Americans willing to go get booster shots every few months.
          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post

With masking up, certainly. I have lived in places where people routinely wear masks even if they have only a mild sniffle. It is no inconvenience (and in winter, it can be a good way to keep your face warm.) As for self isolation and testing - I expect that with time, it would only be necessary if exposure was confirmed.
            Permanent masking is an ableist perspective. It's essentialy a sentence of lifetime torture to those with sensory disorders.
            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by [URL="https://www.abc.net.au/news/health/2021-09-09/covid-19-israel-vaccination-high-case-rates-lessons-australia/100442304"
              Australian Broadcasting Commission[/URL]]

Making things more challenging is the fact that 25 per cent of Israel's population is younger than 12, meaning only 68 per cent of its whole population is fully vaccinated — a threshold too low to achieve herd immunity.

The Israeli health ministry published a report suggesting the effectiveness of the vaccine in preventing severe disease had dropped from over 90 per cent to just 64 per cent.

Almost everyone in Israel received the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine three weeks apart.

But this figure is misleading — and an example of a phenomenon in statistics called Simpson's paradox.

It's complicated, but essentially means that a trend that appears in several groups of data can disappear when those groups are combined.

When US researchers dug into the Israeli data and broke it up according to age groups, they found the vaccine was more than 90 per cent effective at preventing severe disease in people under 50, and more than 85 per cent effective in those over 50.

"When interpreting data, you can't just look at raw numbers," Professor Lewin said.

"In Israel, when you look at the age-adjusted numbers for vaccination, the chance of you being hospitalised if you're over 60 is reduced 40-fold if you're vaccinated compared to if you're unvaccinated."

Coronavirus questions answered

Breaking down the latest news and research to understand how the world is living through an epidemic, this is the ABC's Coronacast podcast.
              Read more

She said the fact fully vaccinated people were still being hospitalised was a reflection of very high vaccination rates, and the fact that no vaccine is perfect.
              Also note that Israel didn't keep the stable door closed - all restrictions were lifted. There are also fairly numerous groups within Israel that won't accept vaccination.
              1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
              ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
              Scripture before Tradition:
              but that won't prevent others from
              taking it upon themselves to deprive you
              of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post

Permanent masking is an ableist perspective. It's essentialy a sentence of lifetime torture to those with sensory disorders.
                It is not permanent. Currently, not many people here are wearing masks - we don't have an active high level health warning in place.
                1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                Scripture before Tradition:
                but that won't prevent others from
                taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment