Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Woke City, USA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Yeah, we didn't get any one-on-one time with Dave. The class was taught be a certified instructor, but it was a lot of good information plus support and encouragement from others taking the class, most of whom were in much worse financial shape than we were (years to get out of debt versus months). We were mostly on the right track before the class, but it helped us develop cement our focus and live like cheetahs.
    We've hosted this class at our church a number of times. Often, we'll get people who attend, and come to the conclusion "that was interesting - I learned we're doing most everything right, but I picked up a few good points we can work on". Others credit the course with turning their financial lives around.

I have NEVER had anybody say "well, that was a waste of time".

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Oops, not cheetahs, live like gazelles. I got that wrong. Dave Ramsey's advise is to run from debt like a gazelle from a cheetah.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

We've hosted this class at our church a number of times. Often, we'll get people who attend, and come to the conclusion "that was interesting - I learned we're doing most everything right, but I picked up a few good points we can work on". Others credit the course with turning their financial lives around.

Like I said above, what I learned was mostly common sense, nothing I couldn't have figured out on my own, but it did provide a plan and mostly for me, motivation. I was swimming in debt and had gotten used to it. It was "normal" and I had basically given up on getting out of it any time soon. But after the seminar, I was motivated to stop and actually make a plan to get out of debt. Making a budget and sticking to it. Stop charging and paying off the debt. I took out a bank loan at a lower interest rate to pay off one credit card, then destroyed that card. Then paid off the next highest interest debt, etc. It took a long time and eating a lot of ramen and staying at home rather than going out with friends every weekend to get it all paid off.

Comment

The only people who might consider it a waste of time is if they're not serious about getting out of debt, or they mistook it for a "get rich quick" scheme.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Like I said above, what I learned was mostly common sense, nothing I couldn't have figured out on my own, but it did provide a plan and mostly for me, motivation. I was swimming in debt and had gotten used to it. It was "normal" and I had basically given up on getting out of it any time soon. But after the seminar, I was motivated to stop and actually make a plan to get out of debt. Making a budget and sticking to it. Stop charging and paying off the debt. I took out a bank loan at a lower interest rate to pay off one credit card, then destroyed that card. Then paid off the next highest interest debt, etc. It took a long time and eating a lot of ramen and staying at home rather than going out with friends every weekend to get it all paid off.
            Something as simple as "when you eat out, if you'll drink water instead of coke or tea, you can save 20% of your tab". WHO KNEW!!! I mean, it's simple logic, or basic math, but a bunch of little helps like that add up. Mrs CP and I ALWAYS ask for water instead of tea or sodas, unless it's included in the price of the meal, like at a buffet or "daily special".
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
              The only people who might consider it a waste of time is if they're not serious about getting out of debt, or they mistook it for a "get rich quick" scheme.
              Before my prodigal daughter "came back home", I had made a deal with her that IF she attends and completes the Dave Ramsey course at the church near where she lived, I would give her $1,000 cash.

One of the BEST investments I've ever made!

Comment

Something as simple as "when you eat out, if you'll drink water instead of coke or tea, you can save 20% of your tab". WHO KNEW!!! I mean, it's simple logic, or basic math, but a bunch of little helps like that add up. Mrs CP and I ALWAYS ask for water instead of tea or sodas, unless it's included in the price of the meal, like at a buffet or "daily special".
                I think the biggest lesson is pay cash. If you can't pull cash out of your wallet to pay for your meal, then stay home. There's also a psychological factor here: handing $40 in cash to a waitress "hurts" a lot more than handing her your credit card, although I'm to the point where it "hurts" whenever my bank balance decreases, so I do everything I can to make sure it doesn't. My 13-year old daughter accused me of being "cheap", which I took as a compliment.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Reminds me a bit of Suze Orman. She had all these books out offering help on learning how to manage money and I picked one up out of curiosity and thumbed through (back when I could still speed read). All she was doing was offering common sense advise of the sort I got in a class back in seventh grade that taught stuff like how to balance your check book and other useful things one should learn. She actually had a chapter on learning how not to be afraid of money.
                  Last edited by rogue06; 09-14-2021, 07:55 AM. Reason: linked to wrong post

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

An update in the Guardian from the UK: A billionaire wants to build a utopia in the US desert. Seems like this could go wrong

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment