Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

An obstetrician's opinion

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rogue06
    replied
    Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    Expensive cars? Depends on what the diocese can afford, I guess.
    Stage names?
    Bling? Yeah. Bishop's vestments are basically Byzantine court dress (that is a bishop in the picture, not a priest).
    Incomprehensible lyrics? Not to those who understand the language. I just attended a hierarchical divine liturgy this morning, and the bits in English I understood just fine (the Slavonic, not so much).

You're welcome.
    I knew I could count on you and can only reply with

Why? I've always liked that gif and it seemed oddly appropriate

Leave a comment:

• tabibito
    replied
    Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

So, showing a mother a sonogram of her unborn baby is "over-use of DUS"?

So, any time EXCEPT to show the mother her unborn baby. God forbid a woman make an informed decision!
    Seems to me that ultrasound has been in regular, and maybe even over, use for more than long enough for any negative effects to have been noticed. I can't trace any statistics that suggest a correlation (much less possible causation) between difficulties and ultrasound, so this story does seem to be kind of chicken little.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
    There remain medical and scientific concerns that the over-use of DUS as well as extended exposure time by the foetus may [although large randomised studies have not yet been carried out] carry potential risks for foetal development.
    So, showing a mother a sonogram of her unborn baby is "over-use of DUS"?

Hence while obstetricians may "do them ALL THE TIME during pregnancies" as mossrose noted, it would appear that to err on the side of caution, and only conduct DUS as and when absolutely necessary, is probably the best option.
    So, any time EXCEPT to show the mother her unborn baby. God forbid a woman make an informed decision!

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

Certain people want to drag this thread down their own chosen flowery path. So let me make it quite clear [again].

This thread is not about the law per se but offers a qualified obstetrician's views [premised on her own professional medical experiences] of how that law may impact on similar situations in Texas to those she deals with on a regular basis. Those issues are pregnant women's health, including high risk pregnancies [her speciality] the potential risk of maternal mortality that may occur as a result of this law, the various postpartum issues that affect many new mothers, as well as those situations that address foetal development and abnormalities.
    Yet her OPINION leads her to fearmonger that this law will result in 'mercenaries' hunting down taxi drivers or anybody who is involved in any way with helping a woman get an abortion.

Leave a comment:

• Hypatia_Alexandria
    replied
    Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Yes, the abortionists hate ultrasounds when used to show the mother the baby growing inside her, and declare them unnecessary.

Totally understandable.
    There remain medical and scientific concerns that the over-use of DUS as well as extended exposure time by the foetus may [although large randomised studies have not yet been carried out] carry potential risks for foetal development.

Hence while obstetricians may "do them ALL THE TIME during pregnancies" as mossrose noted, it would appear that to err on the side of caution, and only conduct DUS as and when absolutely necessary, is probably the best option.

Leave a comment: