Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

An obstetrician's opinion

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rogue06
    replied
    H_A as a judge: What qualifications do you have that makes you an expert in this area.

Expert Witness: I have a PhD in the pertinent field and wrote my dissertation on this very subject. Since then I've written over 20 peer-reviewed papers on this topic and have taught a post-graduate class on it for the last decade at one of the nation's top universities.

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
    Your appeals to status may have an impact on others, but they fail with me.

Leave a comment:

• Hypatia_Alexandria
    replied
    Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

Sure you have. You've argued that the OP's status makes her opinion worthwhile in pretty much the same way you declare cow-pokes is not.
    She is a qualified medical professional with experience of high risk pregnancies.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Yeah, the fundamentals are all the same - "just the facts, ma'am", and you actually have to have process, procedure, rules of evidence, solid presentation....
    And judges tend to have very little tolerance for misrepresentations, duplicity, folks who think they're too cool for school or clever and want to play games.

Right or wrong, judges tend to run their courts like a kingdom and tend to run a tight ship (ah the smell of mixed metaphors in the morning)

Leave a comment:

• CivilDiscourse
    replied

I have made no appeal to her status.
    Sure you have. You've argued that the OP's status makes her opinion worthwhile in pretty much the same way you declare cow-pokes is not.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied

Is that likely?
    As likely as many of the scenarios that you've fabricated

Leave a comment:

• Hypatia_Alexandria
    replied
    Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

So, why does your appeal to the status of your proxu opinion carry water?
    I have made no appeal to her status.

Leave a comment:

• CivilDiscourse
    replied

Might being the operative word.

Since when does having dinner with an advocate give another person competence in legal expertise?

If you want to put your money where your mouth is why not provide us all with a detailed account [I hope you made notes] of your exchanges with regard to this law and its potential impact on citizens in Texas.
    So, why does your appeal to the status of your proxu opinion carry water?

Leave a comment:

• Hypatia_Alexandria
    replied

You've tried that one before.

Yeah, I wouldn't expect an ignorant to "get it" that somebody who as a tremendous amount of experience in Texas law and Texas courts just MIGHT be more informed than a NYC abortionist who outright lies about the Texas law.
    Might being the operative word.

And you probably ignored the part where I actually had dinner Tuesday night with lawyers from the Office of Attorney General of Texas where we discussed this case.
    Since when does having dinner with an advocate give another person competence in legal expertise?

If you want to put your money where your mouth is why not provide us all with a detailed account [I hope you made notes] of your exchanges with regard to this law and its potential impact on citizens in Texas.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

To be honest, even a simple layman with basic reading comprehension and an eye for detail could pick that out.
    Well, yeah, but I'm considering you-know-who.

And even if they couldn't pick that out, if you explained it to anybody with a brain, they'd say, "oh, yeah - that makes sense".

Leave a comment:

• Gondwanaland
    replied

Fact is - anybody with even ONE TENTH the experience you have would note the glaring errors in both Dr Karvorkian's and H_A's goofy distortions (or lies) about the Texas Heartbeat Bill.
    To be honest, even a simple layman with basic reading comprehension and an eye for detail could pick that out.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

Not near as much as you overall but I've been involved as an expert witness in a LOT (like, over 150) of civil cases. I'm a geological engineer so get called in as an expert witness on all sorts of cases especially ones that involve a home or business that was lied to about the area and its risk of rockfall, slump, etc., things like that. Did end up as expert witness in one criminal case, with a negligent manslaughter charge with a poorly maintained dam.

But yeah I suspect even I have a good deal more experience in basic law, civil cases, etc. Than H-A
    Fact is - anybody with even ONE TENTH the experience you have would note the glaring errors in both Dr Karvorkian's and H_A's goofy distortions (or lies) about the Texas Heartbeat Bill.

Leave a comment:

• Gondwanaland
    replied
    You have had experience but that, in and of itself, does not automatically and unquestioningly guarantee that you are in any way competent.

I am not accusing you of incompetence I am simply noting that citing experience as a justification for competency may not necessarily be either credible or conclusive.
    Okay: the clueless twit you quoted in the OP who showed she is either a liar or doesn't have a clue what she was talking about, is much less likely to be competent. There's a pretty good chance she is not. How about that?

Leave a comment:

• CivilDiscourse
    replied
    You have had experience but that, in and of itself, does not automatically and unquestioningly guarantee that you are in any way competent.

I am not accusing you of incompetence I am simply noting that citing experience as a justification for competency may not necessarily be either credible or conclusive.

So what makes your opinion maker competent?

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    H_A --- you really are making a fool out of yourself.

NOBODY here appears to be agreeing with you or believing your bird-brained posts.

It's really evident to everybody that all you're doing is ing.

Seriously --- have you no sense of self-respect or dignity?

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    You've tried that one before.

Yeah, I wouldn't expect an ignorant to "get it" that somebody who as a tremendous amount of experience in Texas law and Texas courts just MIGHT be more informed than a NYC abortionist who outright lies about the Texas law.

And you probably ignored the part where I actually had dinner Tuesday night with lawyers from the Office of Attorney General of Texas where we discussed this case.

Leave a comment: