Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Do we STILL have Troops in Afghanistan Today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do we STILL have Troops in Afghanistan Today?

Something doesn't add up.

First, there was this....
    Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    OK, this is weird.

General Frank McKenzie, commander of the U.S. Central Command, told a Pentagon briefing that the chief U.S. diplomat in Afghanistan, Ross Wilson, was on the last C-17 flight out, which left at one minute before midnight in Kabul.

"Every single U.S. service member is now out of Afghanistan. I can say that with 100% certainty," he said.

I have two sisters who both have sons in the Marines in Afghanistan. They are still there, as of 10 minutes ago.

McKenzie was very clear - every single US Service member - 100% sure.

But my sisters were resolute - their sons were still in Afghanistan.

Then, Rogue was asking about the number of troops Biden added, after removing some, then bringing more back --- the numbers simply don't add up, but I learned something in trying to hunt them down....
    OK, according to Forbes, it looks like Biden had drawn down the troops in Afghanistan to 1,000. (possibly the additional "off the books" 1,000 elsewhere)
    He sent back 3,000 troops to backup the 1,000 that were left there, than an additional 1,000 from the 82nd Airborne Division.

So, 2,500 - 1,500 = 1,000, then add 3,000 plus 1,000 for a total of 5,000, then another 1,000 for 6,000.

So, more twice as many as Trump had there at the end of his term, but not enough, according to Biden, to hold Bagram AND evacuate all of the US Citizens, green card holders, translators, and SIV persons -- um, no, just US Citizens who WANT to get out, and we'll ask the Taliban to allow the others to come to the airport. OK, not even all the US Citizens who WANT to get out, but it's their own durn fault, because "we warned them 15 times".

So I doublechecked with my sisters, and both of these Marines would fall under the "off the books" troops.

So, is that number 1,000? Maybe more? Less?

What happens when (God forbid) one of those Marines or Army Rangers or 82nd Airborne (or any other Special Forces Operators) gets killed? Do we pretend they didn't exist?

I think there is still a lot of lying about what's going on in Afghanistan.

(by the way, between my sisters, they have come up with two other Marines who were still in Afghanistan when McKenzie stated emphatically, with 100% certainty, that "every single US Service Member is now out of Afghanistan)
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

The "off the books" comment is no longer in that story, but it does appear in a NYTimes story....

U.S. Has 1,000 More Troops in Afghanistan Than It Disclosed

KABUL, Afghanistan — Facing a high-stakes choice and running out of time to make it, the Biden administration is wrestling with whether to follow through with a full withdrawal in the next seven weeks of the 2,500 American troops still in Afghanistan — except, as it turns out, that number is actually around 3,500.

The United States has about 1,000 more troops in Afghanistan than it has disclosed, according to U.S., European and Afghan officials. That adds another layer of complexity to the swirling debate at the White House over whether to stick with a deal, struck by the Trump administration and the Taliban, that calls for removing the remaining American forces by May 1.

A thousand troops may seem like a small number compared to the roughly 100,000 who were there at the height of the war. But the scope of the U.S. presence has become a contentious issue in Afghanistan — where the Taliban want the Americans gone, while the government’s beleaguered security forces rely on U.S. air support — and also in Washington.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Something doesn't add up.

First, there was this....

[...]

Then, Rogue was...
      That was always how your stories went when you were aboutin' to start blaming me for something you done did.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        That was always how your stories went when you were aboutin' to start blaming me for something you done did.
        Wait, WHAT? Past tense?

Comment

Biden could actually be setting a trap in Afghanistan, luring the Taliban out into the open where our troops will ambush them and destroy them all at once and set the country free.

Also, I have a bridge in New York I am willing to sell cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            Biden could actually be setting a trap in Afghanistan, luring the Taliban out into the open where our troops will ambush them and destroy them all at once and set the country free.

If it were Trump ... maybe.
            1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
            ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
            Scripture before Tradition:
            but that won't prevent others from
            taking it upon themselves to deprive you
            of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post

If it were Trump ... maybe.
              I could certainly see him suggesting a plan like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoic View Post

I could certainly see him suggesting a plan like that.
                Perchance Trump would also drop another MOAB or two on them!
                "It ain't necessarily so
                The things that you're liable
                To read in the Bible
                It ain't necessarily so
                ."

Sportin' Life
                Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

So, this organization - https://tarjoman.org/ - is very active in working various channels of getting people out of Afghanistan.

I believe, after things settle down a bit, we will find out there were actually US Troops still in Afghanistan, officially or not, or with the blessings of their commanders or not, but most certainly there are FORMER military operators still working to get people out.

What they report is that there appears to be no actually "command and control" for the Taliban - different regions seem to have totally different operational parameters - some more moderate than others, and there seems to be some intermittent outages in cell towers, but they (the tarjoman group) are still working the problem

Comment

So, this organization - https://tarjoman.org/ - is very active in working various channels of getting people out of Afghanistan.

I believe, after things settle down a bit, we will find out there were actually US Troops still in Afghanistan, officially or not, or with the blessings of their commanders or not, but most certainly there are FORMER military operators still working to get people out.

What they report is that there appears to be no actually "command and control" for the Taliban - different regions seem to have totally different operational parameters - some more moderate than others, and there seems to be some intermittent outages in cell towers, but they (the tarjoman group) are still working the problem
                    Have you ever heard from your people there?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      Have you ever heard from your people there?
                      Indirectly, we have heard that they are safe, and are working with the organization I referenced. Nothing 100%, but it's sounding hopeful.

Comment