Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Ida leaves more than 1 million people without power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Juvenal View Post
    The defenses built around New Orleans worked, but also showed their limits.
    The $14.5 billion flood-protection system built around New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina seems to have succeeded at keeping the city from going underwater again.

As of Monday morning, water from Hurricane Ida had not pushed past, or “overtopped,” any of the 192 miles of flood barriers that make up that system, according to the Flood Protection Authority, the local agency that runs the Hurricane Storm Damage Risk Reduction System. Nor have any of those barriers suffered a structural failure, called a breach.

And while most of New Orleans is without power, the pumps that are designed to move flood water out of the city still work, because those pumps run on generators, according to the flood authority.

I was truly afraid we were going to see a repeated failure on those levees. This is a great relief. New Orleans is without power, and much of the city is without water as well, as is much of southern Louisiana, but the levees held, in New Orleans at least, though others weren't as lucky. But we won't be seeing hundreds of floating bodies again in Nola, at least not this time.
    There had been a good deal of concern about the levees in several of the accounts I've seen. Glad to see that they held.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

https://www.weather.gov/lmrfc/

Currently, I'm seeing major flooding north of Lake Pontchartrain, but green gauges in New Orleans itself. Looks approachable from the west at least.

Comment

Originally posted by Juvenal View Post
        https://www.weather.gov/lmrfc/

Currently, I'm seeing major flooding north of Lake Pontchartrain, but green gauges in New Orleans itself. Looks approachable from the west at least.
        Yes, sir - our Baptist Disaster Relief guys were pretty amazed that they get to cook and work on dry ground for a change in New Orleans.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I can understand wanting to leave politics out of this but it seems that the feds response to Ida is making the response to Katrina under Bush look like a rapid response and smooth operation.

What old Joe's Administration did with the Afghan withdrawal/route they're bringing to Louisiana. I'm reading a lot of "where is everyone anyone?"

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment