Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Extended Unemployment Benefits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extended Unemployment Benefits

As best I can remember, the Federal extended unemployment benefits ends on Labor Day. Maybe I missed an extension, but I don't think so. Of course, some states did end them early.

What surprises me is there has been no talk of extending them further - unlike the eviction ban. Did this just fall off everyone's radar and there will be a lot screaming after Labor Day when the checks don't arrive?
    "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

I think they were busy trying to get the 5.7 Trillion dollar heist going --- compared to that, the EUB would be pocket change.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      I think they were busy trying to get the 5.7 Trillion dollar heist going --- compared to that, the EUB would be pocket change.
      Apparently when told that we are already experiencing inflation at rates unequaled in 30 years the left said they could do do better than that, looking to top the double digit inflation Carter left us with.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I guess I'm just surprised that with all the liberal babysitters we have in government and Covid peaking, there hasn't been a push to extend this. I have trouble believing that all those employers saying we can't find employees would really make a difference.
        "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
          I guess I'm just surprised that with all the liberal babysitters we have in government and Covid peaking, there hasn't been a push to extend this. I have trouble believing that all those employers saying we can't find employees would really make a difference.
          Last time I looked there are over 10 million unfilled jobs. That should put a dent in it.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

gv082021dAPR20210819054512.jpg
            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Now that they're about to end we should see a substantial number of people going out and getting jobs in the upcoming weeks.

Anyone care to bet that the MSM will attribute it to old Joe's policies kicking in?

Comment

I saw my first local article about this today. Just factual mentioning the extended Federal benefits end on Monday but state benefits continue. The article's estimate is this will affect about 11 million people nationally. I'm wondering when the first news report with someone "crying" because they lost the extra benefits will appear. Think this will be followed by politicians suddenly discovering the benefits expired and need to be extended?

Comment

It was interesting watching Sleepy Joe try to explain away the dismal jobless numbers today. Even the media was cognizant of the fact that many people are simply being paid more in EUB to stay home than they could make if they went to a job.

According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics number of job openings increased to a series high of 10.1 million on the last business day of June, and is steadily growing.

checks.jpg
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

The local media has picked up the benefits are ended. So far, its still factual reporting. I'm expecting in another day or two to start seeing the sob stories to try to create an atmosphere where they'll be reinstated.

Comment

These benefits have been a godsend in helping increase wages closer to where they should be. I would love to see them extended so bad jobs can die off for good.

Comment

Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
                        These benefits have been a godsend in helping increase wages closer to where they should be. I would love to see them extended so bad jobs can die off for good.
                        Where should they be? And who determines what "bad jobs" are?

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Where should they be? And who determines what "bad jobs" are?
                          It depends upon the state and county but they should be keeping pace with cost of living. A bad job in this context would pay a lower salary than expected from the area's cost of living.

Comment

It depends upon the state and county but they should be keeping pace with cost of living.
                            Burgerflipping at McDonalds? Pilot at United Airlines? Police Officer in NYC? Be specific.

A bad job in this context would pay a lower salary than expected from the area's cost of living.
                            Where is that written down? A 16-year old should be able to buy a house and a car and support a family?

Comment

It doesn't seem all that long ago when nearly everyone laughed at the idea of automation replacing people in jobs like fast food but now it looks the machines are rapidly replacing people as demands for higher and higher pay made them a necessity.

Comment