Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Renters Prepare for Eviction After Supreme Court Ruling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Renters Prepare for Eviction After Supreme Court Ruling

Millions of renters are at risk of being evicted and the states and cities charged with providing emergency rental aid are unlikely to reach many in time, after the U.S. Supreme Court struck down a national ban on most evictions Thursday night.

Landlords, with the exception of those in a handful of states and cities that have their own restrictions, will be able to go to court and obtain evictions for unpaid rent.

In most courts, eviction cases that have been delayed by judges for many months and can now begin to go forward again. In others, evictions that were approved and in the hands of marshals and sheriffs are ready to be executed. In states including Texas, some judges were allowing evictions to go forward, despite the ban.

Only about 11% of the $47 billion program for rental assistance created by Congress to help tenants and landlords and prevent evictions had been distributed, the U.S. Treasury Department said this week.

In a letter written Friday, Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen and other senior officials called on state and local leaders to do a better job distributing the aid by making the application process simpler.

The letter, which was also signed by Attorney General Merrick Garland and Housing and Urban Development Secretary Marcia Fudge, was sent to all 50 state governors and thousands of mayors, a Treasury spokeswoman said.

New York said it would suspend eviction cases for tenants who have applied for rental assistance and are waiting to be approved. “New Yorkers should complete and submit their applications immediately,” said Gov. Kathy Hochul in a statement Friday. “This is urgent.”

California and New Jersey still have eviction protections on the books.

Tenants have missed rent payments during the pandemic because of job losses, loss of hours at jobs and other reasons. Some renters who became fully employed again after losing jobs have had trouble paying back the rent they owe from their time unemployed.

Some landlords have gone for months, sometimes more than a year, without receiving payments from tenants, straining their own finances.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention put the eviction ban in place last September out of concern that eviction activity could worsen the spread of Covid-19.

So you own some rental property, and the government won't let you kick out renters who are not paying.
    You see them spending "your" money on all kinds of other things, but they won't pay you.
    The government sends them COVID money for not working, for having small children, etc, but you get none of it.

What am I missing?

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Millions of renters are at risk of being evicted and the states and cities charged with providing emergency rental aid are unlikely to reach many in time, after the U.S. Supreme Court struck down a national ban on most evictions Thursday night.

Landlords, with the exception of those in a handful of states and cities that have their own restrictions, will be able to go to court and obtain evictions for unpaid rent.

In most courts, eviction cases that have been delayed by judges for many months and can now begin to go forward again. In others, evictions that were approved and in the hands of marshals and sheriffs are ready to be executed. In states including Texas, some judges were allowing evictions to go forward, despite the ban.

Only about 11% of the $47 billion program for rental assistance created by Congress to help tenants and landlords and prevent evictions had been distributed, the U.S. Treasury Department said this week.

In a letter written Friday, Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen and other senior officials called on state and local leaders to do a better job distributing the aid by making the application process simpler.

The letter, which was also signed by Attorney General Merrick Garland and Housing and Urban Development Secretary Marcia Fudge, was sent to all 50 state governors and thousands of mayors, a Treasury spokeswoman said.

New York said it would suspend eviction cases for tenants who have applied for rental assistance and are waiting to be approved. “New Yorkers should complete and submit their applications immediately,” said Gov. Kathy Hochul in a statement Friday. “This is urgent.”

California and New Jersey still have eviction protections on the books.

Tenants have missed rent payments during the pandemic because of job losses, loss of hours at jobs and other reasons. Some renters who became fully employed again after losing jobs have had trouble paying back the rent they owe from their time unemployed.

Some landlords have gone for months, sometimes more than a year, without receiving payments from tenants, straining their own finances.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention put the eviction ban in place last September out of concern that eviction activity could worsen the spread of Covid-19.

So you own some rental property, and the government won't let you kick out renters who are not paying.
    You see them spending "your" money on all kinds of other things, but they won't pay you.
    The government sends them COVID money for not working, for having small children, etc, but you get none of it.

What am I missing?
    Out of all the unconstitutional violations of rights by the government that occurred during the pandemic in the US, this policy put into place by the tyrannical CDC was frankly the most egregious and devastating.

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

Out of all the unconstitutional violations of rights by the government that occurred during the pandemic in the US, this policy put into place by the tyrannical CDC was frankly the most egregious and devastating.
      What's next - car rental companies are prohibited from collecting your car payments? This is absolutely crazy!

It's one thing for our government to print money and pass it out like a drunken sailor on liberty in Singapore, but this forces somebody to provide services without payment!
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

What's next - car rental companies are prohibited from collecting your car payments? This is absolutely crazy!

It's one thing for our government to print money and pass it out like a drunken sailor on liberty in Singapore, but this forces somebody to provide services without payment!
        All they care is that there are a lot more renters than people who rent (rentees), and they know it might help them garner a few more votes.

What it does to the economy?

Pffffft.

"Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven," as Milton's Lucifer so famously put it. Whatever can keep them in power.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

And what are the landlords supposed to do when their bills are due, and they haven't received any rent money in months?
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
            And what are the landlords supposed to do when their bills are due, and they haven't received any rent money in months?
            WHy, default on their mortgages, etc., so that Biden's buddies at Blackrock can snap up their properties, of course.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
              And how many of these people, when they "get back on their feet", will pay up past rent, rather than just move and start fresh?

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

WHy, default on their mortgages, etc., so that Biden's buddies at Blackrock can snap up their properties, of course.
                It is an outrageous example of the Government choosing winners and losers.

Comment

My favorite thing is how many liberal/democrats are upset about this decision, even though Biden specifically said when he extended it that "the bulk of constitutional scholarys say it's not likely to pass constitutional muster"

Comment

Lifting the eviction ban will be too late for a lot of landlords.

Story about a woman who is now homeless because she has no way of collecting the thousands of dollars she is owed in rent

“I don’t understand how they can give my private property to somebody to live for free. I bought that property. I fixed it up with my blood, sweat and tears."

https://www.breitbart.com/economy/20...cting-tenants/
                    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

As soon as the ban was lifted and before it was reinstated, my son was issued an eviction notice...even though he had been paying his rent on time and in full. Apparently, the landlord wanted to remodel his downtown flats so that he could charge more money as our local real estate market is smoking hot right now. He had a hard time finding something in the 30 days he was given because there's not many open houses, and zero open apt's to be found around town.
                      "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post
                        My favorite thing is how many liberal/democrats are upset about this decision, even though Biden specifically said when he extended it that "the bulk of constitutional scholarys say it's not likely to pass constitutional muster"
                        Yeah, so?

Comment

Yeah, so?
                          Basically. Biden passed the Moratorium, saying "Yeah, I know, this is unconstitutional". The SCOTUS says "This is unconstitutional". Liberals "We are upset that SCOTUS would DARE make this decision!"

Comment

My favorite thing is how the left is whining about SCOTUS striking down Biden's actions such as this and the decision that ordered old Joe to reinstate Trump's "remain in Mexico" policy (requires immigrants to stay on the other side of the border until their US immigration court date), when they spent four years judge shopping in order to get friendly activist judges to block Trump.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Basically. Biden passed the Moratorium, saying "Yeah, I know, this is unconstitutional". The SCOTUS says "This is unconstitutional". Liberals "We are upset that SCOTUS would DARE make this decision!"
                              I was sarcastically agreeing.

Comment