Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

January 6th Select Committee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• January 6th Select Committee

Since the other thread is hopelessly and , I'm going to start a new thread to discuss the January 6th Select Committee activities.

Been trying to get news on what the committee is doing and not seeing much. Of course other issues have forced the committee off the front page.

What I have seen this week is they are about to issue subpoenas and I saw an article that the author thinks they are already working to lower expectations. A news article I saw makes me wonder if they are going to try to drag down some Republican congressmen.

Subpoenas could be interesting to see who gets them and who doesn't.

I wonder how much they are going to spend on why the capital police weren't properly prepared or supported during the riots.

Give the FBI report being unable to find a conspiracy and the low level charges filed so far, I wonder if this is going to just quietly go away. On the other hand it could be drawn out into the 2022 campaign season in hopes of damaging Republican candidates.
    "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
    Since the other thread is hopelessly and , I'm going to start a new thread to discuss the January 6th Select Committee activities.

Been trying to get news on what the committee is doing and not seeing much. Of course other issues have forced the committee off the front page.

What I have seen this week is they are about to issue subpoenas and I saw an article that the author thinks they are already working to lower expectations. A news article I saw makes me wonder if they are going to try to drag down some Republican congressmen.

I wonder how much they are going to spend on why the capital police weren't properly prepared or supported during the riots.

Give the FBI report being unable to find a conspiracy and the low level charges filed so far, I wonder if this is going to just quietly go away. On the other hand it could be drawn out into the 2022 campaign season in hopes of damaging Republican candidates.
    I'll be interested to see what the partisan committee concludes. The FBI report makes it difficult for the democrats to conclude that it was a grand conspiracy, so, instead they'll try probably put heaps of emphasis on Trumps speech being coded signals.

I stand by what I said a while ago. Trump is a narcissist in practice if not clinically defined. He may not have intended for violence to start, but he also really didn't care. The fact that people got violent in his name is probably something he got a warm-fuzzy feeling about as it would have fed his ego.

Comment

I wasn't seeing or hearing much about it even before Biden's bumbling bungling of Afghanistan took over the news cycle.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Seems like for the last 5 years, the democrats in congress have been spending most of their time playing politics and doing whatever they can to hurt republicans rather than doing their jobs. The rest of their time is spent trying to push through pork bills to bankrupt the country.

Comment

Give the FBI report being unable to find a conspiracy....
          If you read the report more carefully, you will see that the FBI said they found no evidence that the attack was "coordinated". The FBI has found lots of evidence of conspiracy. The last report that I saw says that around 40 of the rioters have been charged with conspiracy. It is claimed, in the court documents, that many of the conspirators are members of either the Oath Keepers or the Proud Boys.

Below are some examples of rioters who have been charged with conspiracy, and the organization they belong to:

OATH KEEPERS
          Caleb Berry
          David Moerschel
          Mark Grods (worked with the Oath Keepers, but apparently not an official member)
          Jonathan Walden
          etc.

PROUD BOYS
          Matthew Klein
          Charles Donohoe
          Cory Konold
          Felicia Konold
          etc.

NON-AFFILIATED
          Julian Khater and George Tanios are together accused of conspiracy; their actions were independent of both the Oath Keepers and the Proud Boys
          "My favorite color in the alphabet is three." - Donald J. Trump
          "The 'J' in my middle name stands for 'Jenius'" - Donald J. Trump

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

I'll be interested to see what the partisan committee concludes...
            Did you intend to call it a partisan committee?

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Been trying to get news on what the committee is doing and not seeing much...
              There was a significant development today:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/25/polit...ion/index.html

House committee seeks documents from agencies on January 6 Capitol attack, signaling massive investigative effort

...This initial wave of document requests was sent to various executive branch agencies, including the departments of Homeland Security, Justice, Defense and Interior, the FBI, the National Counterterrorism Center and the Office of the National Intelligence as well as the National Archives...

"My favorite color in the alphabet is three." - Donald J. Trump
              "The 'J' in my middle name stands for 'Jenius'" - Donald J. Trump

Comment

Originally posted by Reepicheep View Post

House committee seeks documents from agencies on January 6 Capitol attack, signaling massive investigative effort

...This initial wave of document requests was sent to various executive branch agencies, including the departments of Homeland Security, Justice, Defense and Interior, the FBI, the National Counterterrorism Center and the Office of the National Intelligence as well as the National Archives...
                Sounds like a fishing expedition looking for something, anything, after the FBI peed on their parade.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Reepicheep View Post

If only they had been that diligent when they KNEW there was going to be a problem on January 6!

Typical government response -- horses are out of the barn, and the flies swarm in to inspect the poop.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    Sounds like a fishing expedition looking for something, anything, after the FBI peed on their parade.
                    How would these subpoenas look if they were targeted rather than a "fishing expedition"?

Comment

Originally posted by MehdiR View Post

How would these subpoenas look if they were targeted rather than a "fishing expedition"?
                      Like a targed fishing expedition.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Did you intend to call it a partisan committee?
                        yes

Comment

And done much sooner.

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

yes

Comment

I see. No true investigation... I wish there was a term for this.

Comment