Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

CNN: How the political environment is moving toward Republicans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CNN: How the political environment is moving toward Republicans

How the political environment is moving toward Republicans

(CNN)Republicans gained a seat in the Connecticut state Senate this week. They won a special election in a district that President Joe Biden won by more than 20 points in 2020.

Any individual special election such as this one comes with its caveats, but the trend in special state elections this year is becoming noticeable. Republicans are doing better than they were in the beginning of the year, and it could foretell their party's success in 2022.

Across more than 30 special state legislative and federal elections during the Biden presidency, Republicans are doing 4 points better on average than former President Donald Trump did in these same districts last year.Some of these races included multiple Democratic and/or Republican candidates running at the same time in what is known as a jungle election. If we focus only on non-jungle races in data compiled by Ethan Chen, Republicans are outperforming the 2020 presidential baseline by 3 points.

Either way you look at it, there has been a slight Republican overperformance compared to where things stood last year.Such a change is not too large. Remember, too, that Trump lost nationally by 4 points, so a 4-point swing toward Republicans suggests a neutral national environment.

But this would likely be enough for Republicans to take back the US House of Representatives, especially considering that they are in a good position for redistricting.What really jumps out, though, is the trend.

When you look at the first 17 special elections this year (through early April), the Republican overperformance over Trump was just a point. Examining the last 17 special elections, the overperformance has been 7 points. When you splice the data even further, Republicans have been outperforming the 2020 baseline by double-digits since the beginning of July.
    Whether such a shift sustains itself can't be known at this point. Things may shift back to Democrats.

It shouldn't be too surprising if the Republican overperformance does hold. Back in 2009, there was a big movement away from Democrats in special elections toward the middle of the year. This foretold Republicans doing very well in the 2010 midterms.
    The one thing that is clear is that the special elections this year look nothing like they did four years ago at this point. Back then, Democrats were outperforming Hillary Clinton's performance by 14 points in the average special state legislative and federal elections.

Democrats went on to take back House control in 2018.

What we saw in 2010 and 2018 fits with what we know about special elections. Individually, they can be all over the place. Together, special elections can be a leading indicator of House results in midterm elections.

They were also an indicator that the good polls for Democrats heading into 2020 might have been a bit too rosy.
    Importantly, the shift in favor of Republicans in special election results comes as other indicators suggest that the environment is getting better for the GOP.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Yes, it's an indicator. I still think the 2022 elections are too far away to start predicting what will happen.
    "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
      Yes, it's an indicator. I still think the 2022 elections are too far away to start predicting what will happen.
      Like they say '6 months is an eternity in politics', so...

I think, however, that there is no way that anybody will ever again think that Joe Biden is "normal".
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Like they say '6 months is an eternity in politics', so...

I think, however, that there is no way that anybody will ever again think that Joe Biden is "normal".
        Biden is easier. Even this far away, it's hard to see how he could run for reelection in 2024 and get reelected if he did run.
        "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

Comment

Biden is easier. Even this far away, it's hard to see how he could run for reelection in 2024 and get reelected if he did run.
          I think there's a better chance of Orville the Bull growing udders and getting milk. Biden has tossed his whole future in the can forever.

Comment

The real question is, does he even finish his term.

We now had a taste of what having a president that is well into cognitive decline can result in and it wasn't pretty. I don't think it is a question of IF the Democrats cut him lose via 25A (or maybe threats of investigating his family) before he becomes even more of a liability, but WHEN. Before the 2022 midterms or after?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              The real question is, does he even finish his term.

We now had a taste of what having a president that is well into cognitive decline can result in and it wasn't pretty. I don't think it is a question of IF the Democrats cut him lose via 25A (or maybe threats of investigating his family) before he becomes even more of a liability, but WHEN. Before the 2022 midterms or after?
              Politically, I think it's easier after 2022 so he can take the blame for the poor results and resign.

Comment

Politically, I think it's easier after 2022 so he can take the blame for the poor results and resign.
                If 2022 starts to look like another 2010 the Dems might not wait.

Of course I don't see how putting the cackling hyena in charge would help. I mean old Joe was horrific with his dismissive that was four or five days ago crack but just watching Harris start cackling after similar questions would have been worse.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  If 2022 starts to look like another 2010 the Dems might not wait.

Of course I don't see how putting the cackling hyena in charge would help. I mean old Joe was horrific with his dismissive that was four or five days ago crack but just watching Harris start cackling after similar questions would have been worse.
                  Agreed. Harris at the top doesn't help the Democrats much. That's why I come down on after 2022 election so Joe take the blame.

Comment