Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Has Biden Bungled Afghanistan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Maybe the Biden Administration has made a deal with the Taliban not to blow up NYC (or US soil) if the US just leaves the Taliban to run Afghanistan the way they want to.

(If it were ANY other POTUS or situation, I'd declare me nutty for even thinking that)
    I am almost thinking that they don't want anyone else to get out because everyone that gets out will contradict their narrative that 1. only people who didn't want to leave stayed behind, and 2. Anyone who wants to leave can just show their passport to the Taliban and be free to leave.

They want to save face rather than save lives.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post

I am almost thinking that they don't want anyone else to get out because everyone that gets out will contradict their narrative that 1. only people who didn't want to leave stayed behind, and 2. Anyone who wants to leave can just show their passport to the Taliban and be free to leave.

And they're too stupid to believe that there are all kinds of attempts by other NGOs and aid agencies that WILL get people out.

They're probably trusting the MSM not to carry their stories.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

And they're too stupid to believe that there are all kinds of attempts by other NGOs and aid agencies that WILL get people out.

They're probably trusting the MSM not to carry their stories.
        I think, judging by the panic of the Afghan civilians when the Taliban took over, it appears that most of the population doesn't like or support the Taliban. That means there will be a resistance and less likelihood of people turning each other in. So there might end up being some sort of underground railroad set up to help people escape.

Comment

I think, judging by the panic of the Afghan civilians when the Taliban took over, it appears that most of the population doesn't like or support the Taliban. That means there will be a resistance and less likelihood of people turning each other in. So there might end up being some sort of underground railroad set up to help people escape.
          And the Taliban will discover it's much harder to keep an entire country nailed down than it is to hold certain villages or regions.

It wouldn't surprise me as they are stretched thin, that there would be acts of resistance popping up here and there, along with what you said -- that Taliban members may find their lives in danger by their own countrymen -- particularly when they really begin cracking down on MUSIC and anything "fun".

I remind myself that any Afghani 20 years old and younger has never been under the rule of the Taliban. That means there will be scores and scores of "military age men" (and women) who might not like the new Afghanistan.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

And the Taliban will discover it's much harder to keep an entire country nailed down than it is to hold certain villages or regions.

It wouldn't surprise me as they are stretched thin, that there would be acts of resistance popping up here and there, along with what you said -- that Taliban members may find their lives in danger by their own countrymen -- particularly when they really begin cracking down on MUSIC and anything "fun".

I remind myself that any Afghani 20 years old and younger has never been under the rule of the Taliban. That means there will be scores and scores of "military age men" (and women) who might not like the new Afghanistan.
            Yeah the Afghans have had 20 years of freedom, the internet and equality of women. Hard to shove all that back into a box. The civil war will continue, but more underground.

Comment

Yeah the Afghans have had 20 years of freedom, the internet and equality of women. Hard to shove all that back into a box. The civil war will continue, but more underground.
              "Where empires go to die". Could possibly be that the Taliban just signed up for the old.....

"you may get what you want - but you may not want what you get".

Comment

How very... Xi of them.

Old Joe has learned well. Or I should say, his keepers have.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• The head of the Afghan Government looks like (and for good reason) the Graduates of Gitmo!

Comment

I hate to say this but I think they'll succeed in shoving much of it back into the box.

The Taliban basically controlled Afghanistan before 9/11 while constantly fighting rivals. This won't be anything new. And those rivals were never about freedom but for gaining control for their tribes -- and continuing with a very similar extremely fundamentalist version of Islam.

Those that liked the taste of freedom will likely try to leave -- if they're smart.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      I hate to say this but I think they'll succeed in shoving much of it back into the box.

The Taliban basically controlled Afghanistan before 9/11 while constantly fighting rivals. This won't be anything new. And those rivals were never about freedom but for gaining control for their tribes -- and continuing with a very similar extremely fundamentalist version of Islam.

Those that liked the taste of freedom will likely try to leave -- if they're smart.
                      Yeah but back then they didn't know what they were missing. Now, even the Taliban use smartphones and the internet. As long as people have access to the internet, we are going to see stories of what is going on in there. The Taliban will have a much harder time of trying to fool the outside world and maintaining control going forward. They have no money, and if they keep mistreating people and committing atrocities, they will keep being exposed. Hopefully that will lead to their downfall.

Comment

Yeah but back then they didn't know what they were missing. Now, even the Taliban use smartphones and the internet. As long as people have access to the internet, we are going to see stories of what is going on in there. The Taliban will have a much harder time of trying to fool the outside world and maintaining control going forward. They have no money, and if they keep mistreating people and committing atrocities, they will keep being exposed. Hopefully that will lead to their downfall.
                        And something as simple as music. They've had music for the past 20 years --- and suddenly it's illegal.
                        You can't kill a song.

Comment

And something as simple as music. They've had music for the past 20 years --- and suddenly it's illegal.
                          You can't kill a song.
                          yeah I don't even get that. I thought some of the old Baptists were bad for banning instruments. But banning music altogether? I don't think that is part of Islam is it?

Comment

yeah I don't even get that. I thought some of the old Baptists were bad for banning instruments. But banning music altogether? I don't think that is part of Islam is it?
                            Church of Christ.

Us Baptists allowed instruments - just not them cassette tape things or "canned music".

However...

The debate among Muslims is not about the permissibility of audio art, but about what kind of audio arts are permissible. The Qur’an, the first source of legal authority for Muslims, contains no direct references to music. Legal scholars use the hadith (saying and actions of Prophet Muhammad) as another source of authority, and have found conflicting evidence in it. The consensus that has emerged is that the audio arts fall into three broad categories: legitimate, controversial, and illegitimate. Qira’at, the call to prayer, religious chants and the like are all considered legitimate. Controversial audio arts include almost all other types of music. Illegitimate audio arts are considered to be those that take people away from the commandments of the faith. Music that leads to drinking or licentious behavior is considered illegitimate. Depending on the community of interpretation, one can find devotional music legitimate, controversial, or illegitimate.

Comment

Church of Christ.

Us Baptists allowed instruments - just not them cassette tape things or "canned music".

However...

The debate among Muslims is not about the permissibility of audio art, but about what kind of audio arts are permissible. The Qur’an, the first source of legal authority for Muslims, contains no direct references to music. Legal scholars use the hadith (saying and actions of Prophet Muhammad) as another source of authority, and have found conflicting evidence in it. The consensus that has emerged is that the audio arts fall into three broad categories: legitimate, controversial, and illegitimate. Qira’at, the call to prayer, religious chants and the like are all considered legitimate. Controversial audio arts include almost all other types of music. Illegitimate audio arts are considered to be those that take people away from the commandments of the faith. Music that leads to drinking or licentious behavior is considered illegitimate. Depending on the community of interpretation, one can find devotional music legitimate, controversial, or illegitimate.

What category does music that might lead to dancing fall into?

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                                What category does music that might lead to dancing fall into?
                                Music that's not as bad as that which leads to sex?

Comment