Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

U.S. sued over poor conditions at emergency sites for migrant teens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• U.S. sued over poor conditions at emergency sites for migrant teens

Source: https://www.yahoo.com/news/u-sued-over-poor-conditions-220339215.html

Lawyers representing children in U.S. immigration custody asked a federal court on Monday to order the release of migrant teenagers from two emergency housing sites in Texas where minors have reported mental distress, substandard conditions, prolonged stays and inadequate services.

In their lawsuit before the U.S. District Court in Los Angeles, the attorneys accused the Biden administration of violating the 1997 Flores Settlement Agreement and its rules regarding the treatment of migrant children, which the federal government is legally obliged to follow.

At the center of the 31-page complaint are two makeshift housing facilities for unaccompanied migrant children that the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) established this spring at the Fort Bliss U.S. Army base and a camp for oil workers in Pecos, a remote town in west Texas.

The suit marks the first time the Biden administration has been sued by attorneys responsible for ensuring the government is complying with the Flores Agreement. The complaint, which includes testimony from more than a dozen children in U.S. care, expands on reporting about the emergency sites, which do not have child-welfare licenses, unlike traditional HHS shelters.

"My anxiety attacks have been abnormal here — they have gotten worse since I arrived at Pecos," a 16-year-old migrant girl from El Salvador said in a court declaration. "I have had about 3 or 4 anxiety attacks since I have been here."

Another migrant girl housed at the Pecos facility said her 15-year-old brother, who had been at the site for 60 days, became "depressed" because they were not being released to their relative.

"I am very concerned that there are so many kids who have been here for over 60 days," the 17-year-old Honduran girl said in her declaration. "Some of these youth are waiting to live with their parents — they should not still be here."

© Copyright Original Source

Apparently these kids in cages don't really garner much sympathy from democrats...

It sounds alot like its "selective apathy" on their part.

TRUMP!!!!! smiley fist shake.gif

Oh wait. He actually closed down the kids in cages that Obama set up, only for old Joe to come along and start it back up -- on steroids.

In that case. Never mind. Nothing to see here. AOC can stay home and doesn't have to repeat her overwrought drama queen histrionics by a fence next to an empty parking lot.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post
      Source: https://www.yahoo.com/news/u-sued-over-poor-conditions-220339215.html

Lawyers representing children in U.S. immigration custody asked a federal court on Monday to order the release of migrant teenagers from two emergency housing sites in Texas where minors have reported mental distress, substandard conditions, prolonged stays and inadequate services.

In their lawsuit before the U.S. District Court in Los Angeles, the attorneys accused the Biden administration of violating the 1997 Flores Settlement Agreement and its rules regarding the treatment of migrant children, which the federal government is legally obliged to follow.

At the center of the 31-page complaint are two makeshift housing facilities for unaccompanied migrant children that the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) established this spring at the Fort Bliss U.S. Army base and a camp for oil workers in Pecos, a remote town in west Texas.

The suit marks the first time the Biden administration has been sued by attorneys responsible for ensuring the government is complying with the Flores Agreement. The complaint, which includes testimony from more than a dozen children in U.S. care, expands on reporting about the emergency sites, which do not have child-welfare licenses, unlike traditional HHS shelters.

"My anxiety attacks have been abnormal here — they have gotten worse since I arrived at Pecos," a 16-year-old migrant girl from El Salvador said in a court declaration. "I have had about 3 or 4 anxiety attacks since I have been here."

Another migrant girl housed at the Pecos facility said her 15-year-old brother, who had been at the site for 60 days, became "depressed" because they were not being released to their relative.

"I am very concerned that there are so many kids who have been here for over 60 days," the 17-year-old Honduran girl said in her declaration. "Some of these youth are waiting to live with their parents — they should not still be here."

© Copyright Original Source

Apparently these kids in cages don't really garner much sympathy from democrats...

It sounds alot like its "selective apathy" on their part.
      Isn't that kind of like a burglar suing the home owner because he didn't have anything worth stealing?

If they don't like our conditions, maybe they shouldn't be breaking into our country and overcrowding the border facilities.

Comment