Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Former acting AG testifies on Trump's efforts to overturn election

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Former acting AG testifies on Trump's efforts to overturn election

https://www.businessinsider.com/jeff...-durbin-2021-8

Senate Majority Whip Dick Durbin said an acting attorney general under former President Donald Trump testified for seven hours about Trump's efforts to overturn the 2020 presidential election.

Durbin told CNN's "State of the Union" on Sunday that Jeffrey Rosen "told us a lot. Seven hours of testimony."

Rosen testified privately before the Senate Judiciary Committee, which Durbin chairs, on Saturday.

Durbin said of Rosen: "I thought he was very open. And there was a lot there. An awful lot there. You can imagine: seven hours of testimony. And it really is important that we ask these questions because what was going on in the Department of Justice was frightening from a constitutional point of view."

CNN's Dana Bash asked Durbin what he thought was the most shocking part of Rosen's testimony.

Durbin replied: "Just how directly and personally involved the president was, the pressure he was putting on Jeffrey Rosen. It was real, very real, and it was very specific."

He said that Rosen "was being asked by the White House, leadership in the White House, to meet with certain people who had these wild, bizarre theories of why the election wasn't valid, and he refused to do it."

Richard Donoghue is also expected to testify on this matter as well.

Of course politics are politics but we should assume that Durbin is being relatively honest about the content of the testimony since Rosen would want to speak up if he was being meaningfully misrepresented in the description of the two testimonies he's given so far. I'm sure we all agree it is beyond improper to put pressure on DoJ to advance issues of direct personal importance, particularly after Barr investigated them and concluded that there was no sufficient scale of election fraud to overturn the election result. Hopefully a sanitized transcript of the testimony will be made public soon but this seems like something we might have to wait a bit for unfortunately.

I don't think Business Insider is a controversial news source but in the case that some consider it to be you get one post in this thread bashing on the news source after which point I'd appreciate staying on the topic of this thread. In fairness I took a (quick) search on Breitbart and other conservative sites but didn't find specific reporting on these claims. Links to articles relevant to these specific interviews / claims are welcome.

What's up LiconaFan.

Comment

Not surprised. Disappointed, but not surprised.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I'm not clear on why it would be a huge, controversial deal that he was asked to "meet with" certain people.
        Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

The article linked in the OP is light on details. What exactly did President Trump do or say that is now being interpreted as "efforts to overturn the election"? I mean, look at the history of investigations against Trump: Dirty Cop Mueller spent two years investigating non-existent Russian collusion and obstruction of justice; the Democrats tried to turn a perfectly legal and innocent phone call with Ukraine into coercion; they tried to a turn a peaceful rally into inciting insurrection. What reason do we have to believe that this latest chestnut will be any different?
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by MehdiR View Post
            https://www.businessinsider.com/jeff...-durbin-2021-8

Senate Majority Whip Dick Durbin said an acting attorney general under former President Donald Trump testified for seven hours about Trump's efforts to overturn the 2020 presidential election.

Durbin told CNN's "State of the Union" on Sunday that Jeffrey Rosen "told us a lot. Seven hours of testimony."

Rosen testified privately before the Senate Judiciary Committee, which Durbin chairs, on Saturday.

Durbin said of Rosen: "I thought he was very open. And there was a lot there. An awful lot there. You can imagine: seven hours of testimony. And it really is important that we ask these questions because what was going on in the Department of Justice was frightening from a constitutional point of view."

CNN's Dana Bash asked Durbin what he thought was the most shocking part of Rosen's testimony.

Durbin replied: "Just how directly and personally involved the president was, the pressure he was putting on Jeffrey Rosen. It was real, very real, and it was very specific."

He said that Rosen "was being asked by the White House, leadership in the White House, to meet with certain people who had these wild, bizarre theories of why the election wasn't valid, and he refused to do it."

Richard Donoghue is also expected to testify on this matter as well.

Of course politics are politics but we should assume that Durbin is being relatively honest about the content of the testimony since Rosen would want to speak up if he was being meaningfully misrepresented in the description of the two testimonies he's given so far. I'm sure we all agree it is beyond improper to put pressure on DoJ to advance issues of direct personal importance, particularly after Barr investigated them and concluded that there was no sufficient scale of election fraud to overturn the election result. Hopefully a sanitized transcript of the testimony will be made public soon but this seems like something we might have to wait a bit for unfortunately.

I don't think Business Insider is a controversial news source but in the case that some consider it to be you get one post in this thread bashing on the news source after which point I'd appreciate staying on the topic of this thread. In fairness I took a (quick) search on Breitbart and other conservative sites but didn't find specific reporting on these claims. Links to articles relevant to these specific interviews / claims are welcome.
            Honestly, at the moment, there's nothing really here (to me). Now, it may have been in poor taste, but asking the DOJ to meet with conspiracy theorists isn't telling him to change his mind, its (being charitable) telling him "look, listen to these people and hear out what they have to say about it."

Do I think Trump WANTED the DOJ to find fraud? Yes. The same way the democrats wanted the FBI to conclude Kavanaugh raped Ford (and likely many suggested to the head of the FBI that certain people be interviewed and met with).

Comment

The most relevant question: What crime, if any, is he being accused of?

Comment

Given his history, Dick Durbin is not exactly a reliable source. They might have done better saying "inside sources"

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  Given his history, Dick Durbin is not exactly a reliable source. They might have done better saying "inside sources"
                  To be fair, naming your source, even if he is notoriously unreliable, is (sightly) better than "sources say".

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

To be fair, naming your source, even if he is notoriously unreliable, is (sightly) better than "sources say".
                    Wasn't it "informed sources" who started the lie that a Capitol Police Officer had been bludgeouned to death with a fire extinguisher?
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

There is always a chance that the anonymous source could be reliable. Not so much with Durbin.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                        There is always a chance that the anonymous source could be reliable. Not so much with Durbin.
                        If an anonymous source is reliable, then he doesn't even need to be mentioned in the story because his claims will have been independently verified. That was how the Watergate reporting was carried out. Deep Throat would point Woodward and Bernstein in the right direction, and then they would dig until they could confirm what he was telling them. It wasn't just a "source say" story.

(And I still think Woodward and Bernstein sound like a couple of Broadway producers.)

Comment